1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check out a Hilux today

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Peru, May 19, 2012.

1. May 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Peru

Peru [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Went to check out a hilux today and was disapointed to find out that they dont offer a 4X4 version or diesel here in Mexico. Quite frankly for the approx 22K cost id rather have the fully loaded 2012 TRD 4X4 that they sell here for 32K tax tag and title or better yet just keep my 2007. Also i dont see what everyone gets all excited about -- the Hilux is a nice truck but here its offered as bare bones work truck. All metal bed and a full box frame as everyone know is a good thing but its just not worth the 22K.

I did go over to nissan and checked out their NP300 (Diesel, 4X4) which is at about the same 22K but with diesel and 4X4

For right now ill stick with the tacoma until i find out what is up with my contract or will I be relocated elsewhere on this planet. Still I might get me the nissan to beat up on mountain biking trips or trips down to Oaxaca, Veracruz and the beach and give the Tacoma to my wife and use it as the primary vehicle. The front suspension on the NP300 is kindof funky with little travel but its a bare bones work truck with the =4X4 engaged via a stick (old school). The NP300 here in MX is the sacred cow -- ive seen them so loaded to the gills you'd think the frame will just crack. I love the bed too -- old school latches and tie-downs. Sorry for the crappy vid

http://youtu.be/gQz5k9TTxiE

Ill try to take some pictures of some of the punishment all trucks get here in MX -- words cant describle.

2. May 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Cool. NP300 is just a first-gen Frontier, according to Wikipedia. It's probably less rugged than your Taco.

3. May 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    The build quality on the Nissans suspension does not look like it compares to the hilux or taco -- I'll have to take a closer look. I have over 300k miles expierence with nissans diesel engines and I can say the thier straight six used on the patrol is legendary. I think toyota and Nissan make good trucks but it's just something about the taco that I like above the rest. Having said that I have seen some serious abuse inflicted upon the NP300 that is unreal. Plus no matter where you go here in mx you'll find an NP300 loaded to the gills going through rivers, mud rock infested mountain roads. They are very popular here but then again so it the Toyota -- the price, diesel and 4x4 is what is leaning me towards the np300.

4. May 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    sporttracguy

sporttracguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic gray tx pro double cab
    3" Lift spidertrax wheel spacers grillcraft grill Color matched grill Color matched eylids PIAA 520 lights behind grill HIDs in headlights and fog lights Debadged Plasti dip lower grill
    I love those old school bed rails and tail gate :thumbsup:

5. May 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Mexico is a very weird country. Interesting, but kind of weird.

6. May 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Describe weird?

7. May 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    Sharp little nissan, I like it.

8. May 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Mexico is pretty hard to describe. You have to go there to see for yourself. It's just weird to step across the border from the USA and just that one step and you're in pretty much a different world. We used to live in San Diego in the 90's, went to Ensenada quite a bit, Rosarito, even Tijuana, but these are different days now.

Even back then it was a little rough around the edges, so to speak, and that was kind of the appeal. Nice people, kind to strangers, but boy you can get in a lot of trouble there if you're disrespectful. You have to remember you're a guest in their country.

9. May 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    baja hasnt changed much in that aspect.
    i just spent 2 weeks all over Baja, as i do many times a year.

nice people, awesome food, great surf....

10. May 21, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I traveled throughout Baja for many years, I also lived in a small fishing village one summer (I will give surfers a hint-"Razors" was directly in front of my camp). Growing up in SD, we were aross the boarder surfing and partying weekly. I would agree its a different world though... :D

11. May 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    There is so much more to MX than Baja and the border. The border in no way represents the mexico i live in. sure its different but the moment you step out of the USA wether to canada or anywhere else thats what you need to expect.

Been up and down baja twice on a BMW R1150GS and traveled with the tacoma all the way to the guatemalan border and back to Puebla and many places inbetween. Jungles, beaches, desert and high apline forests (see below). Its one hell of a cool country but its not for everyone that is forsure. The tacoma loves it but id still like to get a bare bones truck to beat up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...co-de-orizaba-13945ft-mexico.html#post5119464

12. May 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Yep, the Mainland is another world in Mex, but in remote areas the hospitality and culture throughtout the country is hard to beat. I hated having to just past thru Tijuana and Ensanada as we headed south. I guess I have good memories since I was able to avoid the many troubles that you can get into down there. :cool:

13. May 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none

Yep -- for 38 years been living and working in all of latin america from mx to argentina and most countries inbetween. Its definitly not user friendly for those who are used to the way things work in the USA but that is easy to overcome. getting in trouble is easy.

Now back to the post - I cant get that damn Nissan out of my head. It seriously needs a turbo tho.

14. May 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Seems like a steal for 22K...I love the standard manual 4x4, and I am sure if they are all over the place you will have access to a turbo and a few other goodies- and you can trick it out as you wish... do they sell the "Patrol" I believe its called, Infinity's premium SUV in our market but with a diesel everywhere else, pretty much just as bad ass as the Land Cruiser with a diesel? Just wondered what the price was..

15. May 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    those were some cool pictures

16. May 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    No -- no patrols. Id of been all over it. I had an 82 patrol with a straight 6 diesel non turbo. Its was a dog but damn torque -- thing could climb up a wall. Tough as nails. The sheet metal was about twice as thick as the tacomas.

I am looking around. Those Nissans are all over the place. way more popular than the Taco. The other down side i see it the travel on the suspension is not half of what it is as the taco.

17. May 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i love Mexico. describing it as "weird" is weird. what do you want? all places to be just like the united states? it is a different country. it is supposed to be unlike the US.

back to the hilux. only reason i would want one is to have a 4x4 diesel?

how much is diesel down there anyways? i grew up in el paso. i remember people going over to buy diesel..cheap.

18. May 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    To be honest with you and you may think i am crazy but i dont know what gas cost. I figure i need to fill up anyways and there is no way around it so why even bother. The only option is Pemex and the prices are pretty much the same. I pull up and tell the guy to fill it up with premium (the best gas) and check that the pump is set to zero and pay when its done. Screw it, its the cost of doing business or better said living. I just cant be bothered worrying about something i have no control over.

I do agree with Monkeyface -- the border is an aberation with regard to the rest of MX but so are many town on the US side of the border. I hate it when i need to go there (the mexican side -- nuevo laredo, tecate is ok). What Monkeyface forgot to add is a good description of why he clasified it as weird. BTW -- I know very few mexicans whether they are from the border or not who enjoy the border.

Also, the level of family values that was mentioned above is very hard to understand unless you expierence it.

I need to see whats up with my contract and after that is squared away ill be putting some cash down for a new vehicle.

19. May 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Thanks -- me, my wife and two little girls had a great time. The altitude got to my 3yo so we did not stay long. The only time ive been higher is in peru at close to 16Kft. it definitly affects you and it will creep up on you with out you knowing untill its to late.

Products Discussed in

To Top