1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTF does abnormal zero point of steering angle mean?!?!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LT1, May 24, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC/LB/4x4/TRD supa sport!
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    So now that I'm a couple weeks into the lift.. and still no pics.. sorry, I've been busy trying to figure out what wrong with it... Here's a quick breakdown of what's happened:

Purchase: OME shocks w/885 coils (pre installed w/top plate spacers),AAL for TSB, LR UCA's, DB drop, No diff drop :mad: they said they sent it but nowhere! whatever..

Install: completed at Manwithoutaplan's pad w/help from a 5 other guys from the TW (thanks again guys!). Several issues came up naturally, but we were able to get around them for the most part. Break lines/sensors did not hold the weight the entire time, we did our best to be mindful of it. It did rest on it a little, but not a whole lot...

Alignment: Firestone lifetime alignment. At first they said they couldn't get it exactly into specs but it was close [​IMG]. So I went back the next morning and they said the same initially, but then realized later that the UCA's were adjustable and were able to align it[​IMG]

Problem: Now I have a "Traction Control Off" light showing on the dash (a truck w/squiggly lines behind it). I first noticed it after the alignment but the guy said drive it 25 miles and it'll be fine. Its not! I went to Toyota and they said that the break lines/sensors, suspension components were fine, and really, it drives fine, but the code showing was C1290 "abnormal zero point of steering angle sensor" WTF does that mean? Any ideas? Do you guys think the diff drop might help the "abnormal zero point of steering angle?" I'm perplexed here guys.. and I've done a search to no avail... [​IMG]

Suggestions?? I took out the CB drop cause the service writer suggested it..and of course it didn't make a difference, so I'm gonna put it back.. Do you guys think maybe the diff drop will make a difference? Should I go buy ANOTHER one from Toytec?:mad:

[​IMG]

2. May 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  3. May 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OP , you need to get your skid control ecu recalibrated at your dealer , they can also check the steering angles zero point at the same time , my truck had incorrect zero point and this was causing the VSC to act up in my case .

is the steering wheel centred since the alignment ?

4. May 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    Hmm... Thanks for the input.. maybe I'll send it back to Firestone instead of the stealership and they can fix it?? Cause when I originally told Firestone it sounded like they get that all the time.. The guy just said.. oh, it'll shut off after about 25 miles or so... I'm at 150+ miles!!!:mad:

5. May 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This ^^^^

As for the
    That means they didnt try to center the steering wheel. Find another shop.

6. May 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Hm.. are you talking about this? Or see attached at bottom..

Attached Files:

7. May 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes

8. May 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    I'm gonna hit all these things up!! That damn yellow light is driving me insane!!!:annoyed:

9. May 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Just found this.. maybe has something to do with it?? :notsure:

The code I was given was the C1290.. I guess I'm just trying to add to this in case anyone else in the future stumbles onto the same problem.. ;)

Attached Files:

10. Jun 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You get this resolved ?

11. Jun 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:

Not yet.. working on it though.. when things settle down. Busy as hell.. I need to spend (waste) the day explaining to Firestone that they need to ensure my steering angle is right, and the alignment is all good. Then go to the stealership to have them reset the light.. We'll see how many times I'm gonna have to explain it to them.. I'll repost when/if I get this resolved.. Thanks for lookin out!;)

12. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    My truck had a visit to the dealership today and they told me there was a c1290 code, even though there were no lights on when I dropped it off, and I've never had a vsc issue.

They asked if I wanted them to fix it and I said no because I wanted to research it more, but this is the only thread that came up.

13. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I don't know if this was ever resolved or not but it sounds like they forgot/neglected to center the steering wheel before aligning. There's a little brace that's supposed to be jammed between the steering wheel and the seat once the wheel is centered (very low-tech, but hey it works) and it holds the wheel from moving when adjusting the tie rod ends (and everything else, but these are the most critical here). Do either of you have the wheel at an angle when the truck is driving straight?

14. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Diagnostics to test said sensor

15. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Pretty sure the wheel is just about straight. I will update tonight when I pick it up.

Thanks Ben! I'll take a look

16. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

dealer visit? they fixing that POS finally? If not I say we roast smores over it this weekend

[​IMG]

camp fire's out of control are covered by full insurance right?

17. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    It was in for the legal inspection. They found damage indicating that I had possibly scraped on some rocks (on the frame rails) and that I may have caused the problem like that. :D

I said well the transfer case is what controls the 4wd, not the frame rails, so I don't see any possible way that I could damage the transfer case when there are no scratches on it. And my attorney mentioned to them that in the commercials on tv they show it blasting through creeks and climbing mountains so the vehicle should be able to handle offroad driving.

18. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    My steering wheel is little bit to the right, as my truck goes straightish on a freeway.
    So ur saying this problem could be fixed by aligning it?

19. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    and having the ecu recalibrated

Products Discussed in

To Top