1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to clean glASS

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by rpking, Jul 4, 2011.

1. May 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    wudbuchr

wudbuchr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linnie
    Lexington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 (7128A) BBP 4x2 - TRD Sport Access Cab
    * Clear Bra (full front) * BBP (8T0) Side Body Molding * Tinted Windows with AWS window shades * Romik Running Boards * Color matched Undercover Lux bed cap and BedRug bed liner * MobTown Locking bed storage doors, Tailgate skin and cap * Chrome Tailgate Script lettering * G-Tec Fab Door Sill Protectors and OEM Mud Guards * Fumoto Valve * ScanGauge-II * LED Interior, Stop, tail, Bed, OPT7 LED H11 low beam and fog lights * WeatherTech floor mats * Clazzio seat Covers * Removed jump-seats & rear seat-belts * Sound deadened back wall, rear posts, rear doors and front doors with a layer of RAAMmat, a layer of Ensolite, and a layer of EzCool * Insulated the roof with two layers of EzCool * GT series Image Dynamics speakers (6x9 fronts, 6.5 rears) * Audio Control DQ-61 DSP, 5-channel amplifier and sub woofer. * Redline Tuning Quick Lift Elite hood struts * Thinkware F770 (Dual) Dashcam with Cellink Battery B * Lexus SmartKey Transmitter and Emergency Key
    Apply Invisible Glass with a white scotchbrite pad (aka Buff Puff, found in the cosmetics area of most department stores - including Wally World) wipe dry with a microfiber towel.

2. May 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    I used crumpled up newspapers, worked fuggin awesome

3. May 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    You know, a lot of folks use newspaper. Wouldn't it leave a bunch of ink residue on the glass? It sure does a job on my fingers. I read the obits and Dilbert and have to wash my hands after just that...

4. May 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    I thought so too. A detailer friend of mine has used newspapers before, but said after so many cars in a week, it was easier to use micro cloth stuff.

So based on what he said and the can of invisible glass directions, I tired it. No ink residue and no streaks. The no streaks was probably the Invisible Glass. The news papers hardly last a window though. 2 sheets is enough per door window. My local Sunday paper could handle the whole Taco DC, so I may keep using them.

We'll see after a while, might be easier to use cloth. I WONT use paper towels though. Can leave tiny scratches in instrument cluster "glass" and other delicate surfaces like the radio/lcd faces.

5. May 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    Glass Cleaning:

Make sure the glass is cool to the touch before cleaning and try not to do it in direct sunlight. It is much easier to clean with less streaking when the glass is cool. When I clean the glass I take a small terry cloth or microfiber towel and fold it in half twice so that I have a square slightly larger than my hand. I spray the glass and give it a good wipe down/clean with one side then quickly flip the towel over and use the other side for a final dry. Switching to a dry side seems to be the trick to eliminate streaks. I can do each window on the Tacoma in one shot however the front windshield is done in two sections for the outside and three sections on the inside so I can work into the corners and around the mirror.

Rain-X

Easiest way to apply this is to clean your windows BEFORE washing your truck. Like a normal glass cleaning, make sure the windows are cool to the touch before doing this. After the glass is clean I will apply the Rain-X to the windows, usually two coats. Once the coats dry to a haze I simply wash the truck like normal. The Rain-X washes off but the treatment remains. No more hassle with wiping the windows like crazy trying to get the streaks out. I think the outside windows are also easier to clean without streaks with the Rain-X treatment on there.

6. May 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    maconhurler

maconhurler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    04 4wd v6 sr5
    Deckplate Mod, Catz Fog lights, Roll Top Tonneau Cover, Pioneer Premier 800prs HU, 10" Kicker L7, Kicker 5 1/4 components, Polk dB 5x7s, Oznium superflux puddle lights and bed lights
    Gotta agree with the Invisible Glass and microfiber-like the glass isn't even there. Works really well on chrome wheels too.

7. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I used two wash cloths......one to wipe down after spraying invisible glass and one to dry it and get streaks off, works great

8. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    used this stuff for 3rd time yesterday. Used crumpled up newspapers again. Both worked really well. Also used a microfiber towel. that works too...as expected.

9. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I tried Invisible Glass with a Waffle Weave Drying Cloth yesterday. It worked pretty well, except that the cloth was rather large (24x36) and a little clunky for glass. Of course you need to fold it several times to get a manageable size.

But it left no streaks and no lint.

10. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  11. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    Cleaner wax works pretty well. Use a couple of coats and you'll have nice looking windows.

Products Discussed in

To Top