1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats safe without a Brake controller?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by michaelg589, May 29, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    An easy and cheap solution would be to rent a two-wheel car dolly from UHAUL to tow the car.

2. May 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The cost is the problem. Trust me thats the first thing I thought of. I wont get into it all, but financially it wouldnt make sense. Its not a lot of money but it could be a waste.

3. May 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    That's a bummer, man. I have no idea how much they cost to rent- probably cheaper than buying/installing a brake controller I would think.

Anecdotally I towed an 81 malibu with one of those recently. Make sure if you do it you take the parking brake OFF of the car you are pulling once it's strapped down or you'll just drag it through the person who you bought it from's grass and ruin their lawn, then you'll have to drive away quick and never come back. :D

4. May 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    Always remember to release the park brake and put it in neutral before flat towing or dolly towing.

towedinpark_c3cd2c4f543fc454b6fabf61a7916e7c86cd8f4e.jpg

As for the topic, I'd be real careful towing a heavier load without brakes. I made that mistake once before I got my brake controller in and it was alright until I had to make a quicker stop and the brakes just weren't doing their thing. Nothing bad happened but it was a bit of a shock how fast I couldn't stop.

If you're unsure if the load is too big and assuming you have a safe quiet road nearby bring it up to 40mph or so then try to stop fast. Smooth but firm pedal application. You might be real surprised at how much longer it takes to stop.

You could just buy a controller though. They're not that much and it's not like you use it up, you'll have it for every other tow you ever do. If you have the factory tow package you could even borrow one, it'll just plug in. Based on my towing experience I draw the line at around 2000lbs with no brakes.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Master SAE or whatever letters you get to put next to your name or not, that's an incredibly ignorant comment...

Search the site a little bit, you'll find that most of us have put the trucks through their paces.

6. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Whats your point? the Trailer the OP is talking about has a 7 pin plug on it.

If youre building a trailer with no brakes or onboard power requirements, or axle level reverse lockout, you use 4 pin. If youre building a trailer with electric brakes and without onboard power requirements, you use 5 pin. If youre building a trailer with onboard power with or without electric brakes, you use 6 pin.

You only build in a 7 pin plug if you have to run a reverse lockout solenoid.

The trailer HAS a 7 pin plug.

7. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    what is your point?
    not what the OP is asking?

8. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Yes, they certainly are. Without a reverse lockout solenoid to run, there is no reason for the 7th pin.

On the truck side, you go with the biggest plug the truck is equipped for, and adapt down to whatever the trailer has.

On the trailer, you go with the minimum the trailer depends on.

9. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    OP asked if it is safe to pull.
    IF IT HAS HYDRAULIC BRAKES, IT IS.
    The 7 pin plug on the trailer indicates that it may. OP should confirm.

10. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    For those people talking about pulling 6000 pounds without trailer brakes.... VERY STUPID IDEA.

If the roads are definitely all empty, you can anticipate traffic signals, stop signs, etc., and take your time braking over a longer distance. The problem is that the roads are full of stoners in beat up and souped down noisy honda civics. You cant anticipate those, so you depend on being able to stop... FAST.

The heavier the load, the longer it takes to stop unless you add additional brakes.

11. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i've towed my honda s2000 (3000lb) on a huge dump trailer (easily 4000lb or more) without a brake controller and had no problems. Just put the car in 4th gear if it's an automatic and just gie yourself room to slop, you'll need it with the momentum.

I've also towed an s2000 on a uhaul traler about 400 miles recently and they truck does just fine.

if i were you i'd rent the uhaul trailer though, it's only like 60 bucks and it makes life easy, they have surge brakes IIRC

12. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    it may be that way in canada, but in the US hyd surge you only need 4 wires in a 6 plug.
    and the reason for the 7 pin plug here is for a trickle charger for the break-a-way switch for elect. brakes.
    I don't want to fight or pick a fight about this, but my uncle built trailers for 35 years.

[​IMG]

13. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Rocksville

Rocksville Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 6112's and All-Pro 3" leafs, 285/70/17's
    This is actually a timely thread for me. I want to tow a rock buggy on a 16 foot flatbed trailer about 240 miles (each way, with a couple decent sized mountain passes). the buggy is probably 3200 lbs, and the trailer is probably 1600 lbs. My guess is with gear and everything I'll be loaded to about 5000 lbs.

I'm not new to towing, just new to this vehicle. I towed about 3800-4000 lbs last week (without trailer brakes FWIW) and the truck felt fine. I have a brake controller that I can install tonight, and the consensus seems to be that this 5000 lb load shouldn't be too much for the truck...stock.

I have the 2.5" OME lift with the Dakar leaf springs and 285/70/17 tires. So my question is: has anyone pulled around 5k in a taco with a similar setup? I have a drop hitch, and again I'll put my brake controller in. Does this suspension setup drastically compromise the towing capacity of the vehicle?

It's a 2010 double cab offroad.

14. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Brakes on the taco sucks..

The taco has plenty of power to get the job done but not so much on the braking side..can be sketchy, even with trailer brakes...

This is what I often tow on the weekends
    i44t46_27ca3efb89755b4ed7313d3a26bea069e1565aaa.jpg

15. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Rocksville

Rocksville Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 6112's and All-Pro 3" leafs, 285/70/17's
    Well, that looks to be about what I'm working with. Looks like I shouldn't have too many problems. I know the road well, so that helps.

I guess my only other fear is the return trip. Going down it'll be nice and cool--60*'s at night. The return will be 100*'s in the sun. hot. I suppose I should prepare to not be using the AC on the way home.

16. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I blew through an intersection that suddenly turned red against me..went from a two second yellow light to a red light..had to panicked brake but I still went through the intersection and almost tboned a car. Taco felt like it had no brakes even with the trailer brakes locked up and skidding across the intersection. Give yousrslf plenty of room. In panick break situations the taco will fail while towing

17. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    OK PEOPLE, THIS IS THE EXAMPLE OF HOW A TRAILER AND TRUCK SHOULD LOOK WHEN TOWING. ITS PERFECT. HE'S GOT THE PERFECT WEIGHT BALANCE ON THE TRAILER, OR SHOULD I SAY IN FRONT OF THE FIRST AXLE. THE NOSE OF THE TRAILER IS STILL POINTED UP. THAT MEANS IT WILL PULL AND NOT DANCE GOING DOWN THE ROAD. THE TRUCK IS PRESSED DOWN A LITTLE BIT ON THE ASS END, NOT TOO MUCH WEIGHT.
    ALL 4 TIRES ON THE TRAILER ARE BITING THE PAVEMENT AND WILL NOT DANCE.
    ****BONUS, SOMETHING I ALWAYS HAD, HE EVEN HAS A SPARE MOUNTED ON THE SIDE.

18. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    :cookiemonster:

I even cross my chains lol

19. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Does the trailer have electric brakes? If the answer is yes, then hook up the brake controller. If the answer is no, then the controller will do nothing for you.

20. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top