1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It's D-Day. Who Remembers a Hero?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by scocar, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    James Flanagan jumped into Normandy with the 101st, and went on to fight in Bastogne. He was a personal friend of mine, and he passed away a few years ago.​

In his signature gruff voice, he often derogatorily referred to me as "college boy" and poke me in the ribs with his fingers. It felt like being stabbed with rebar. I pity the Nazis who faced him.

When we in in bars during the Reno Air Races over 20 years, my buddies and I would watch in awe as this old man worked his magic with the ladies. He was amazing.

He's they guy holding the flag here in Ravenoville, France.

[​IMG]

Who else knows someone who was there?​

Hats off to Jimmy and all our heroes in Normandy. :oldglory:

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Good thread Dick

scottalot likes this.
  3. Jun 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    :popcorn:

scottalot likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, it's been pretty busy in here...:tumbleweed:

scottalot likes this.
  5. Jun 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    I personally met South Caroilina Senator Strom Thurmond twice in person (in D.C.). He was part of the D day invasion. My great uncle was in the pacific campaign and was island hopping fighting the Japenese. I was lucky to have known them both.

THATCH11B and scottalot like this.
  6. Jun 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    OK Im a day late. Scott my dad was Sarg. when the war started, he went in the Army in 1932. He hit the beach in Normandy with 24 men. After chasing the nazis all the way back to the mother land. They got orders to stand down in Austria just S. of Munich. After 3 years they were thinking they might get to go home. Then they were sent to N. Africa. The boys ran the nazis all the way to Tripoli took a bunch as POW. When they got the orders they were going home there were 4 of the 24 that he landed with. He never said much about the war but I do know he did not think much of the men of Europe Something to do with the color yellow. He went to Korea as a warrant officer for 2 years. He got out in 1959 as a Capt.. He was what I call old School hard ass. He passed away from lung cancer in 1985 and not a day goes by I do not think of Him. He did something that I think is rare anymore, He had a life that stood up for something bigger then he was. Thanks to all the old ones here and gone you were something in your time,,,,,,,,,,,,, Jim

Silver02Taco, rtzx9r, jmaack and 6 others like this.
  7. Jun 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    My grandfather, T/Sgt Jack Marshall was a top turret gunner on a B-17 in the European Theater of Operations. He flew 25 missions over occupied Europe into Germany in preparation for Operation Overlord. He is credited with two aerial victories against Fockewulfe 190 fighters while conducting combat operations. When the war ended in Europe, he returned to Northern California and became a teacher and eventually principal of a school in the farming town of Corning. My Grampy passed away in 1991 due to severe skin cancer that invaded his whole body. Even on his death bed, he was one of the strongest most brave men I've ever met.

R.I.P. T/Sgt Jack Marshall, you are with us always.

8. Jun 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Dudes a badass. Thanks for your service, Jimmy.

9. Jun 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    not a d-day vet, and sorry im late, but the above quote instantly reminded me of my purple heart, korean war vet great uncle. he's in his 80's and still strong as an ox. his hugs and handshakes have brought me to tears of pain before haha.

thanks to all the vets that have done so much for this awesome country, hat's off to you. :oldglory:

THATCH11B likes this.
  10. Jun 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Nice posts, guys, keep them coming. I know a lot of them aren't around anymore, and many simply don't want to, or never did, talk much about it, because it can be too painful to recall and bring all the old emotions up again.

But they are still among us from this and many other campaigns. Every time I see an old guy in public, I always think, I have no idea what this man may have been through in his life. It makes me pause and reminds me to be patient and respect my elders. Hell, he might turn around and kick my ass.

God, Jimmy used to love crushing hands. I learned to stop shaking his hand after a while. It was a trap. He worked aircraft sheetmetal for decades, and his hands were like vises.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    THATCH11B, Boerseun and T4RFTMFW like this.
  11. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    the greatest generation :oldglory:

THATCH11B, Riding Dirty and NAAC3TACO like this.
  12. Jun 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
  13. Jun 6, 2017 at 5:57 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
  14. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I had a great-uncle; he wasn't part of the D-Day invasion but he came later and was captured by the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a POW until the war ended.

15. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
  16. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    My uncle was a Seabee and deployed to the South Pacific theater. He never spoke much of it. He passed on years ago but I'll never forget the look in his eyes when asked about the war. I have some pictures of him I will share as soon as I get home. I can't imagine 18 year old kids of this day and age storming the beaches. We'd be doomed.
    My hat's off to the American, British and Canadian men that stormed the beaches of Juno, Gold, Sword, Utah and Omaha. We'll always be indebted to you.

My Mom took the image below on her trip to Normandy in 2008. Hopefully I'll get to visit one day.

Picture 070.jpg

17. Jun 6, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Jimmy was in the Battle of the Bulge, too. Trapped in Bastogne. I can't even imagine. Any chance you ever met your great uncle or know some of his stories?
    Dude, he was well suited for a career of beating the shit out of Nazis and decades as an Aircraft sheetmetal worker. Refer to my older post:

Yeah, it seems a lot of guys did not/do not want to talk about it. Who can blame them. It makes it all the more important to keep any stories we do have alive, so following generations can understand what true horror and true heroism is. And when war is no just political bullshit, but truly a social and just cause for preserving humanity.

Looking forward to your pictures. I wish I had some electronic images of my wife's grandfather. He was a surgeon at Anzio. He was not known as a happy man. That's about all I know, and probably all I need to say about that.

I can't imagine either. Might get their iPhones messy when trying to post picture of their guts spilling out onto the sand on Facebook. Saw this yesterday.
    [​IMG]

I really wished I could have made the 70th anniversary. I hope to make a future one with my son. Planning a trip to the UK when he is 5, which will be 2020. Another factor in all this is that my parents are both English, and were kids during the war. Many stories there, but this invasion marked the end of nightly bombings by the Nazis and knowing they are 20 miles across the water waiting to invade and kill you. In a way, if it weren't for this invasion, who knows if I'd even be alive? Who's to say.

18. Jun 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    The Nazis would no doubt perform experiments on them to find out how they got so retarded.

19. Jun 6, 2017 at 10:08 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    I like to think that I'm old school in many ways, but I'm no match for a MAN like that.

scottalot likes this.
  20. Jun 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Yes, indeed. He made a lot of men around him feel pretty much like loosely assembled labia.

Products Discussed in

To Top