1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mark your oil filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by scrantonscrambler, May 26, 2012.

1. Jun 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.

x2. That is one reason i don't go to the dealer here. other reason is rip off $$$$:eek:

2. Jun 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    20Jim12

20Jim12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DC-4.0
    This is really scary. I think I'll write "change me" on the filter when /if I take it in. Nobody takes care of your stuff better than you do is my take on things.

3. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

just write the mileage down on it when it's new.

not really a good idea to piss off the tech working on your car

4. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM
    Puppypolice78

Puppypolice78 Active Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    4X4 2.7L
    No they did not change the filter when I pointed it out after going back in. Didn't want to see the picture and pretty much told me I was full of it and it had been changed. Oh well, they lost a customer for life. Won't ever go there for service or to buy another vehicle.

5. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    Nice catch dude! Damn Technician... Pointless stupidity.
    At firestone in Hawaii, we require the box top of each oil filter, we also count each used oil filter from the day and match it with how many oil changes we sold that day. All three numbers MUST, MUST, MUST match up.

Each tech has a bucket that they put their used oil filters from the day into. At the end of the day, a sales guy goes out and counts each one.

The box top verifies that the technician used the proper oil filter on the vehicle, and that the part number matches with whats on screen.

Oil filters are so cheap... there's no point in not replacing it on the vehicle. Plus it throws off inventory...

6. Jun 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.

I would never allow that dealer to service my truck again. And I would have reported them to the better business bureau and contacted the local news. They (the tv news truck) would embarrass that dealership and cause a few job losses. I always mark my filters. If a dealer is going to hose you on an oil change what else will they NOT do. Glad you called them out on there lack of integrity.

You should post there name if they are not doing work you paid for. That is commonly called deceptive practice or worse yet theft of service that you paid for. Just an observation.:D

7. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    I hear what every one is saying,but if you use the stealership everytime then there is a record of them doing the changes. Thus if for some reason something goes wrong the stealership is nothing but responsable for any and all damage to said automobile.They must pay for it.
    No I don't work for stealership,matter of fact not real happy with them either but I will heed the warnings seen here.

8. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

and your proof?

you going to hire a master tech and lawyer to go to court with you?

9. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    Well lets see if engin blows and the reason is bad oil and no oil and the list goes on,they say that is the reason your proof. Now I'm done with the pissing match.

10. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

lmao... you obviously have never dealt with a car issue before. I guess you think the dealership will just say "oh yea whoops that's our fault...here's 5k out of our pocket for a new engine".

Pissing match...even funnier. If you think this is a pissing match you have allot to learn.

11. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road

What he means is if they have all the service records in their computer, and you are under warranty, if the engine seizes up due to lack of oil or extremely sludged oil, it's going to be warrantied because in the computer it SAYS it has been changed on schedule even if the tech didn't do it.

12. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

You guys are missing the big picture. I'm not typing this for fun....just trying to get some basics through your heads.

A Toyota engine isn't going to blow up because the tech didn't change your oil once or twice. It will just take away from it's life span and when it does blow it's not going to be before 100k miles so your warranty will be long gone.

I know a mod on here who ran his Toyota 30k on Mobil-1 without an oil change then sent the oil to Blackstone for testing. They said try to go 20k next time.

13. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    If that happens to be the Dealer in Wilkesboro they did the same thing to me. If it was your first oil change, the original filter that comes on the engine is a different part number than the the one in the parts department. It is also made in Japan not Thailand. You can check it to see.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/181451-another-toyotacare-issue.html

14. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road

Not true. I had a brand new tahoe given to me to diagnose and it had 17K on it and never had an oil change. Engine was locked up and nothing but sludge in drain pan. Yes synthetic is different story but conventional oil unchanged can cause failure in as little as 17K, I've seen it myself and we did not warranty that engine because it had a factory filter on it and no service record.

15. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
    :eek: what was reason for that :confused:

16. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    Another "marker" here. My son's car once had that happen in between the time I changed it.
    I too do my own maintenance.
    That way I know who to complain to! :D

Yuma Taco,

17. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Remember the V6 sludging problems?

Several techs that I know claimed that it was a combination of "hot spots" on the heads and lack of proper oil changes. They said that they never say sludge in a V6 that had been in for regular service, but they had seen badly sludged engines smoking heavily at 35k with only one documented oil change.

18. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    he lives in your town...you ask him :D

I never heard of the issues before, but it makes sense that conventional would sludge up. I always changed my oil at 3k up until the Tacoma and always used Mobil-1. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that went over 3k on Mobil-1.

The next thread needs to be should I let the dealer overcharge me to swap out my air filter :D Fed-Ex man brought me some goodies today. I should be good for a little bit

[​IMG]

19. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I'm sure this has been asked ... several times .. but 5 pages.

Why in the hell would you trust them anywhere near your truck for two extra years of oil services?

To me this is just like bitching out an employee at McDonalds and then demanding a new burger ... uhh no thanks.

I would have taken it to Toyota directly and demanded someone to meet me in person. I also would have called a lawyer. Maybe let the local news set up an undercover op.

20. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +10,000

Accept another 2 years of poor service and everything is swept under the rug. Toyota doesn't know about it, and every other customer continues to get screwed.

Make noise, and just maybe the dealership owner gets a nasty letter from Toyota and you get a new staff who will do the job right.

Products Discussed in

To Top