1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scepter jerry can alternate spout

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by ruggedT, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT [OP] The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    I came up with this after numerious failed attempts to use the clamp style spouts for the plastic Scepter jerry cans. I also wasnt interested in the ~$30 price tag on the fancy ones Scepter makes. I posted this over on ttora over a year ago, iv been using this thing regularly since. No issues at all.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Took some measurements and headed to Home Depot. Came back with the following parts; 2 PVC couplers, and a brass nipple. I had the hose already along with the hose clamp and epoxy. I went this route so I would have something to grab onto when tightening, and not to cover the little vent hole.

2" adapter: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202905023

Bushing: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Brass nipple: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Hose: 5/8" OD?

[​IMG]

After assembling with fuel resistant epoxy, I assembled the brass fitting and hose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the test...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7H6Pkp1YI

This information comes as is. I am not responsible for you blowing yourself up, gluing yourself together, or any other idiotic circumstances that might occur

Update(5/13/2013)
    The spout is still working fine. I added a big o-ring to the threads so I didnt have to screw it in so far. One of my can's it gets really tight. This solved it and keeps it front leaking if you leave it lose.

o-rings came from an old oil filter.

%255BUNSET%255D_8ee81f3ddff2aad7702f7c2d075913ebd4b3eaea.jpg
    2013-05-12%252013.07.43_44d56a81ebbb93fe4686a7848bbb5688049026e8.jpg
    2013-05-12%252013.07.24_3ac663f5896d77d3ba348853ab44bf8646621274.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Manfred and RogueTRD like this.
  2. Jun 16, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    TMASS

TMASS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-MASS
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 TOYOTA TACOMA
    I'll update soon

3. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    TMASS

TMASS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-MASS
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 TOYOTA TACOMA
    I'll update soon
    I forgot to ask, were you able to find an adapter with the same thread count/pitch to match up with your Jerry Can?

4. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    The PVC has NPC or tapered pipe threads, I have no idea what the threads are on the cans.

To the OP, You have had no problems with the PVC and the gasoline?
    I know ABS does not get along well with hydrocarbons.

The amount of time the spout is in contact with the gas is small if it is only used in pouring and then you seal the can with something else, then it probably does not matter much.

I need to come up with something for my old Jerry cans the old metal spouts all stink and leak all over!

5. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    it's a great DIY option...

one of the guys back on customtacos.com made a few of these back in 2008 but he stopped making them...

soooooooo much faster flowing than the restrictive spouts they usually sell...

i may have an extra one in my garage... it looks like the same type brass fitting and hose...

6. Jun 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    bridaw

bridaw The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    I don't use spouts. I would be worried about the gasoline reacting with the materials you used, long term. I've been using Super Siphons for years and I never spill a drop. :)

You can get a package of TWO super siphons for less than $17 and they provide more functionality since you can siphon fluid from ANY container. FAST.

[​IMG]

Jukeboxx13 likes this.
  7. Jun 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    ruggedT

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    The spout doesn't block the air hole so it empty's extremely fast. Its your standard run of the mill pvc threads, I matched it up using some tapered steel pipe.

The pvc is fuel resistant. Its not in contact long enough anyway to cause problems. Been in use over a year with no probs

8. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    Scepter sells two different spouts. They have the one that is pictured (clear hose) which is 1/2" and a 1" one that is black. I have both of them and the 1/2" one is slow and not worth purchasing. If anyone has scepter cans I would recommend doing making this spout or purchasing the black 1" spout.

9. Jun 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    OK, I'm convinced. I decided to make one.

Any suggestions for a particulate trap/filter?

I started with a 2" male adapter that threads perfectly into the inner threads on the scepter can and it is easy to grip. I tried to use the fewest number of pieces but I had to go with what was available. It will be more compact than pictured once the pieces are pressed together completely. I picked up Seal-all oil/gas resistant sealant.

The female end of the 2" piece has smooth walls so I nested a smooth 2" x 1.5", then 1.5" x 1" adapter followed by a 1" x 3/4" with inner threads. I have a brass 3/4" x 3/4" MNPT threaded into the last PVC piece and a 7/8" O.D x 5/8" I.D. hose.

The 1.5" x 1" adapter has a nice wide smooth base so it might be the easiest piece to attach a screen of some sort to the bottom. It would provide a larger filter and should be easier to remove the crud since it is closer to the wider end of this contraption vs a screen on the brass piece.

Any ideas what sort of stainless or brass mesh/screen I can get at the auto parts store or Home Depot? Thanks.

0623021602.jpg

10. Jun 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    ruggedT

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Nice! I thought of adding a mesh but I hadnt found anything yet :(

11. Jun 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    great stuff!..now all i need to do is find a few more cans

12. Jun 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I like it

13. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking about what I could buy that would have a large enough piece of mesh and it dawned on me -fine mesh kitchen strainer! Instead of Home Depot or the auto parts store I'll be hitting Bed Bath & Beyond or Target tomorrow.

Along with the Seal-all I also bought some QuikSteel brand steel-reinforced epoxy putty. I'll cut a circle out of the mesh that fits the bottom diameter of the 1.5" x 1" PVC adapter. I can make a gasket out of the QuikSteel and bond the mesh to the bottom of the 1.5" x 1" PVC adapter before putting the PVC pieces together with the Seal-all.

QuikSteel works on copper, steel, PVC, CPVC, plastic, fiberglass, ceramic, wood and more. Impervious to chemicals, works on gas tanks, radiators and even sets up under water. Cool stuff.

Should work. :)

Edit: I found this instead and it is already flat.

Edit again... This is coming along nicely. I have the screen installed in the 2" x 1.5" adapter. There was a nice lip on that piece and I did a decent job forming the screen and I'm waiting on the the QuikSteel to cure completely. I took pictures of the process. :)

photo.jpg

14. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    I have the screen installed and two sections left to assemble. This is working out well. :)

I took pictures with the DSLR that will show how I formed the screen but I'm probably not going to get the pictures off and post those until next week. Maybe I can post a how-to. Here are some crappy photos from my iPod touch so you can see what I've done.

The first photo is the bottom of the 2" x 1.5" adapter with the screen recessed into the lip and the QuikSteel holding it in place. The next shot is the top of the 2" x 1.5" adapter already fitted into the 2" piece that threads into the Scepter can. The 3rd shot shows the last two sections before I seal them together.

I'm glad you posted this thread when you did. I should be able to use this on my road trip this week. :thumbsup:

photo2.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    photo4.jpg

15. Jun 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    all.on.black

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    If people are interested I can get more cans next time I'm in Canada. They have gotten expensive though.

16. Jun 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    At least give me a price when you're up there..these things are hard to find now a days..im down to just one can..my other two have disappeared into thin air :mad:

17. Jun 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    all.on.black

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    Last time I was there I believe they were around 50 a can. I think they might be more now since supply is down. If you're really interested I can get a firm price but I'm not sure when I'll be in Canada again. It's only a couple hours away so I might go camping or something this summer and could pick some up then. They have 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon cans.

18. Jul 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Definitely interested. Shipping is the killer though... but if you can get decent prices and shipping, PM me! I'll be down for a few! :D

19. Jul 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    ruggedT

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Nice job on the mesh.

I can get cans locally, last time I checked they had a bunch of beat up diesel can's. Weren't even worth buying to clean and use for gas

20. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Products Discussed in

To Top