1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anybody know what King Coilovers RR come factory set at?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HonoluluTaco, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Aloha all, just got my King Coilovers Remote Reservoirs in the mail and was wondering if anyone knows what they come set at from the factory, or if there is away to determine what they are set at with out installing them and measuring, then taking off and adjusting?
    I'm looking to get 3" of lift.
    From what I've been reading they come set at 2", and it would behoove me to rent a spring compressor.
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    I can go measure later, but when I put my kings on with factory settings, I got around 0.5 to 1.0 in of lift on the front. My rear alcans didnt lift as advertised so I havnt dialed the kings taller yet.
    before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    bskin

bskin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Their supposed to be set at 2-2.25 inch out of the box, I don't think mine gave me that much. I also had about a 1inch drivers side lean so I had to crank on my drivers side coilover quite a bit to even it out. Have fun adjusting them :D

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    You can adjust them while they are on the truck, just use a spanner wrench to turn the collar. You can also cut the end off a big screwdriver if you can't afford a spanner wrench.

5. Jun 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    I wish king would provide that style of spanner wrench, the one that comes with plus the interference of the resi hose makes it impossible

6. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    Swetpants

Swetpants Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Surf city, ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I've been told by a tech that for every five threads showing equals 1inch of lift. My kings have 11-12 threads showing which is a little over 2 inches of lift. Not sure it would be a good idea to crank them up that much though. It will make for one stiff ride

7. Jun 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Cool thanks guys, yeah a spanner wrench seems like a must

8. Jun 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM
    Sumolance

Sumolance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    SoCal
    Dude, I'm going through the adjustment process as we speak-- gigantic pain in the ass to adjust. I had to install, measure, remove, adjust, reinstall, and now I have to remove again & reinstall. It's not possible for me to addy on the truck to adjust since you need access to the lock/pinch Allen bolt & the limited access to the collar holes with the reservoir elbow connector in the way. The guys @ king told me it's best to remove the shock to adjust. Yes. I've had to buy spring compressors & actually mod (grind the jaws down) just so they would fit between the coils, as they are closely/tightly wound) Truly PITA. I wish I went with Icons/Fox just for the easier adjustment; it's staring to feel almost not worth the aggrivation.
    Also, I found that 2.5 turns does NOT equate to 1/2 inch. I might report my findings after I adjust again tomorrow. Anyhow, at first, before I even installed for the 1st time, I cranked the collars 3x just for the hell of it/gauge the ease of adjustment. After installing, it only gave me 1" over stock. That means, if I had just bolted in out of the box, I would have only gotten a little over a 1/4" or so. Next, I cranked it 10 revolutions (for an estimated 2 inches and yes, I needed the modified spring compressor and yes, I lubed the threadon the shock body), but now I'm at 4.75" of lift(!). Way too much, so now I have to go through this charade again. Pretty tedious & ghey, if you ask me. Good luck, & wish me luck as well; I'm determined to make this right.... I just wish King thought this method through a little better & engineered accordingly....

9. Jun 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    I had my local shop call King when they were adjusting mine, it comes supposedly preset at 2-2.5" of lift. I have mine dialed in for about 3". But I'm getting a bit of the taco lean and need to raise the driver side a couple turns. It is truly a PIA to adjust. Doesn't help I'm sitting on their 700# springs.

10. Jun 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    they are pretty sweet though. :D

11. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    @$%*, that doesn't please me, your confirming what I've been reading. I am not looking forward to this. I'm still waiting to receive my 3"AllPro leaf pack and foxes in the rear to start.
    I heard you have to take the truck for a little spin before measuring to let the spring settle, did you do this?

12. Jun 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Sumolance

Sumolance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    SoCal
    Well, I'm sitting in the garage as I type this; just pulled off my left shock & about to adjust it again. If you remember, I'm at a way-too-much 4.75" over stock height rt now, so I want to go back about 1.00" inches. Max height recommended by king is 3.5" over stock height, (although they would stress to keep it at around 2.5" of lift) so I want to be around there. But also I have read here on TW through other posts that it will settle as much as 1" after about a week, so I will dial that in the formula. I surmise that I will take it back down about 4 revolutions. That means from factory setting, I would have turned the collar tight a total of 9 revolutions.
    I DID drive it a bit over several speed bumps before making measurements, but I doubt that would equate to a weeks worth of daily driving to settle. Will report my findings in the next day or so...

13. Jun 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Cool thanks, you'd think they could just give a measurement chart that equals lift

14. Aug 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    So I had mine on for a week now and am going to pull them off to adjust, I bought a SAW spanner wrench to help. What did yours finally come out at? I'm thinking 6 turns and 8 turns for my taco lean. I'm trying to get full height with a decent ride. I've stuffed 285/70/17 under there and need the lift.

15. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    Sumolance

Sumolance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    SoCal
    Sorry I haven't followed up on this for a looong time; I did finally finish up and arrived at what I think is ok, for me at least. I ended up actually turning the adjustment collar a total of 11.5 revolutions from the factory settings. This gave me about 3.25-3.5 inches of total lift: max of what King recommends. The ride over bumps (such as speed bumps) are kind of harsh (at compression adjustment at exactly center, 10 turns) which it kind of 'hops'. I set this at max recommended height with the anticipation of the suspension settling over time/usage as others are reporting. I figure it's gonna at least settle around .5", but some report as much as 1" or so. That brings it to around 2.75" of lift, which I feel is ideal for my taste. My Tacoma has a slight forward rake since i added a Wheeler's (Deaver) heavy duty AAL to the rear leafs and left the overload spring in, since I understand stock leafs will sag over time, but I also haul sportbikes and quad every so often. Anyhow, in case you're wondering, I have a DCLB if it matters at all; maybe it make a small difference in weight versus a short bed or Access cab. To help facilitate adjusting the collar, I made a narrow 'leverage board' out of 1/2" plywood that had 3 holes that match the top of the shock mount holes. I bolted this board to the top of the shock to aid in leverage and providing an 'anchor/handle' to make adjusting the collar easier. I still needed spring compressors to make those last 2 revolutions or so. Be sure to lube the threads on the shock body and be careful not to bend the adjustment tool's tip and avoid elongating the holes in the adjustment collar. Ideally you should use a wall-mount spring compressor, but the cost of it didn't warrant how often I compress springs. Those things are awesome, but upwards of $700. Hope this helps.

16. Aug 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Aloha SumoLance,
    So I bought a SAW spanner wrench (all 4wheel parts had in the store) and removed and put in a vice to adjust.
    First the spanner wrench didn't fit (that pissed me off $38 for that thing).
    Then I use the useless tool they gave and the top started spinning with it.
    So I decided I'd have to do it on the truck or take them to a shop with a wall mounted spring compressor.
    Bought the T-handle curved tip King adjuster tool King sells for $35. Lifted the tires off the ground and used the T-handle and it worked pretty well but wasn't easy. I've got 10 threads showing on the drivers side and 7 threads on the passenger side.
    Before my test drive I was at Drivers 39" Passenger 39 1/4"
    after driving 3 miles I was at Drivers 37 3/4" Passenger 37 7/8" .
    Wasn't expecting that big drop but I think that's my tires settling(the way they pull in when you lift the truck up with the jack).
    At least my tires aren't rubbing any more.

17. Aug 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    You were able to crank down the coil nut (or whatever that plate thing is called) with the T-handle they sell? You didn't need to compress the spring at all? I gained about 3" of lift when I put the springs on but it dropped 3/4" when I put my plate bumper on. I haven't finished everything yet so I haven't rode it around for a week or anything. I'm guessing I'll lose another .5" and want to crank them down a little bit. What lb coil do you have? I have 650lb springs and am hoping they won't be impossible to crank down without having to compress the spring.

18. Aug 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    Snoyota

Snoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Marin County, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black Dbl Cab Sport
    3" King coilovers with resi, king rear shocks with resi, ome dakar leafs, 4xinnovation kickout sliders, CBI front bumper, warn M8000 winch K&N filter. Pioneer deckplate with 500w alpine amp and 13" Focal Sub
    I got 2in out of the box, i dialed them up to 3in

19. Sep 6, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    jAndyMendo

jAndyMendo i eat samiches

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD 4x4 OR 2016 4Runner fake-TRAIL Edition
    Did you pull them off to do this? I need a couple turns on my driver side as well now.

20. Sep 6, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    Yeah, with the RESI hose mount in the way and the coil bucket, it didn't leave much room.

Products Discussed in

To Top