1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy my first manual Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DC59, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    ok, stupid question here...

but i test drove a manual 6sp 2012... no one at that dealership could put that damn thing in reverse though. i mean, no one.

please splain? i cant be THAT retarded. trans feels nice though.. got a lot of travel in the clutch.. but i can live with that.

2. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Push Down and over.

3. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    thats what i thought. gotta push it down while centered? i pushed it over toward reverse, pushed down, and nothing. they had three people fuck it up.. no one could get it in reverse.. perhaps it was just jacked up already? seems kinda odd four people cant get one silly ass transmission into reverse.

4. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    Take your clutch out, put it back in again. Shove the stick as hard as you can to the left and then push it up. When you're in reverse, it'll beep.

Get the stick. It's a helluva lot of fun. I always felt like I had more control over the car in a stick. Also, I've found that I pay a lot more attention to the traffic and road driving manual.

5. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    I own a 6sp manual, and there's no real "trick" for getting into reverse, it's pretty straight forward...but having said that, you do have to use a bit of force to get it there.

To be honest, I don't think I push "down" at all [maybe I do?], but essentially from neutral, you pull the shift knob to the left as if you were going into first gear, but instead of going up, you just force it one more stop to the left then up in Reverse. Unlike all other gears though, it won't slide right in, you do have to use a little force to get it over there. If you got it, you'll hear a beep and the backup cam will popup in the rear-view (on the 2012 models with that option).

EDIT: Red bar shows the "stop" where you'll have to apply force to get it into reverse:
    [​IMG]

At first I missed my old 5speed configuration with Reverse below 5th gear, but I'm used to the 6 speed now, and the shift from reverse to 1st is nice and quick too.

6. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Is the 2012 6-speed really that hard to get into reverse? If so it must be different than prior years somehow. Mine is easy.

7. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    1SWTGTO

1SWTGTO New Member

Member:
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 6spd 4x4
    A.) Who buys a an automatic mid size truck these days that arnt female?

B.) To get the 2012s in reverse, just push over to the left abit more and then up. You dont need to push down.

8. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DCLB BITCH

9. Jun 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    1SWTGTO

1SWTGTO New Member

Member:
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 6spd 4x4
    Why not just buy a full size truck then? Like a Dodge or even a Tundra?
    Bitch?

10. Jun 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I don't want a Dodge or a Tundra , or a 4' bed 0n a Tacoma

11. Jun 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    There's a lot of issues with that post. The first one he went too fast for me to catch it all though...

I'm with the "try a standard first". I've had 11 cars, and only one of them was an auto. And I spent the whole time wishing I had a manual again. But that being said, when I got my first car, my Dad told me, "You'll be so sick of manual after 3 months, you'll wish you never got it". 20 years later of driving highway, in town, back road, traffic jams, stuck on hills, high speed gravel doing power slides (closed course), I still prefer manual. But then, some question why I'd ever make that choice to the point of excluding vehicles that didn't come in manual.

My point is, not everyone prefers it, and the last thing you want to do is buy a new truck, attempt to learn how to drive it (and possibly burn out the clutch if you really don't have anyone to teach you, and have a hard time learning), only to go, "You know, I don't like this choose your own gears thing". As for the dealership teaching you, they are under no obligation to. Giving the increasing fewer number of manuals showing up, as someone already found out, your salesperson might not be able to, or even worse, can do it well enough to shuffle cars around the lot, not teach you the proper way (I know some are saying, "What's the improper way?", but my sister going through multiple clutches tell me there is one).

As for shifting...meh...after 10 manuals (not including the wife's cars), some sports cars, some econo cars, and a few trucks...to me, it shifts like any other truck...in some ways, better.

12. Jun 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    1SWTGTO

1SWTGTO New Member

Member:
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 6spd 4x4
    so then why not a extra can reg bed? no sense in a dclb. whats the purpose? whats the price split between a full size like the tundra and a dclb? most ppl drive tacos for the fact they are not full size trucks and get decent gas mileage. you have a dclb and its just like a full size truck minus towing cap. and hp. plus u cant even get it in a manual!

13. Jun 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
  14. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Just say "teach me how to drive it, and I'll buy it!"

15. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    If it isn't a daily driver get the manual. But be forwarned the manual isn't the best and has issure. Search befor you buy.

I have had zero issues with my auto and it pulls my trailer and weekend racer nicely.

16. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM
    mossyoaks

mossyoaks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    I opted for the AT since I use my truck to pull/launch/retrieve my boat at the local boat ramp. Having a clutch can complicate the process on the slippery ramp after a day of cold beverages!

Plus, I like the idea that my 80 y/o mother can take the Taco to Lowes to get potting soil on her own. :p

17. Jun 19, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    No, it isn't hard at all, but does require a little extra "push" get over there (at least on the 2012s), so I understand why folks at the dealership may have been unable to figure it out, although I certainly don't excuse it -- you should know how to operate the vehicles you sell!

A LOT of folks apparently. I think I saw somewhere that only about ~5% of the Tacomas that come off production are stick shift. That number may be a bit off, but obviously the vast majority are automatics. My last Taco was an auto, and it was a great transmission at that. I do prefer manual transmission though, and went with that when I got my newest Tacoma

If you're looking a new vehicles, the 2012 model has had many of the issues of previous models fixed. I find the manual transmission on mine very nice to drive. The TRD Sportshifter option makes it even better.

I have no complaints about the auto transmission in these vehicles though -- either one is great choice, and essentially, should be left to the driver's preference. I only have experience with the 4.0L V6 in either case.

18. Jun 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    The 5-Spd manual transmission is solid with no issues on the latest model tacoma. As for being a daily driver, i drive 85 miles a day , 425 miles a week with no complaints. Everyone has their own preference of transmission, there is nothing wrong with the automatics either but its a very subjective argument.

Products Discussed in

To Top