1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission troubles!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ImplicitlyAlberta, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta [OP] VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    I have been out and about today, cruisin on the trail in 4low with no trouble. I pulled a jeep outta the mudd yadda yadda yadda.....the usual. Upon my departure from the great Canadian outback I was driving quite normally when my trucks rpm rose up with no acceleration. When I drive in OD she sometimes pops outta gear, whether its popping into neutral or not Im unsure. Also when I get to about 80 kph or 50 mph she holds in third gear at a high rpm without shifting. I cannot manually downshift the transmission as well. I am a little concerned and hope I can get some much needed input. I just need to know if it could be a sensor, vent line blockage, loose wiring or have i just burned up a perfectly good working transmission, which i would be kinda proud of.
    my pics 055.jpg

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    K she's goin to the doctors tomorrow. Mayfield Toyota do your thing.

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    sounds like low fluid to me but it's hard to say

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    Got my truck back from Toyota today.............drove about a block and turned around. Absolutely no change in the transmission. How can they tell me its OK, clear the codes and give me the keys back?
    mine 317.jpg
    I was told they took it for a test drive around the parking lot. HA! The first 3 lines is what I told them was wrong.......How can you get 3rd gear to change at 5000 rpm in a dealership parking lot without doing at least 80kph? Checked connectors hey!? Oh and one was shorted...Funny I found no shorted connector or wire around the transmission when I did my own prior inspection. Cleared codes hey!? Didnt check into them just cleared them. Hmmm sounds like I want to be a Toyota technician. I will be checking into these codes and they will be checking into my transmission.
    CANT BULLSHIT A BULLSHITTER!!!!!!! they wont get a cent until the problem is solved.

5. Jul 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    Well new transmission here I come.$5200 later. all in the name of fun.:rolleyes:

6. Jul 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Did you figure out the issue? Why not get a used transmission and do the swap yourself?

7. Jul 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    I didnt think I would have the time, working out of town and what not. Figured they'd have had the problem solved in a week or so and id be back on the trail. Ha! three weeks later and still no truck. Plus they'll give me a 1 year warrenty on the new trans other then a 90 day from the wreckers.

8. Jul 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    :/ bummer still

9. Jul 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    Alright. Got the baby back today. Seems good to go. Trails here I come.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top