1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tail light help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dotto84, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    dotto84

dotto84 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 black out
    Halo Headlights, Konig airstrike rims, Black badges, Black mesh grill, roll n lock bed cover, bed mat, neoprene seat covers, weather tech floor mats, tinted windows,
    so today someone backed into my truck and smashed the left taillight. they didnt leave a note or anything so looks like i have to pay out of pocket. i Already have tail light tinting film that i was going to put on to black them out to match the rest of my truck but now Im just debating on buying aftermarket black tail lights because it wouldnt be that much more money and it would be legal. any thoughts?

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I happen to like oem lights better than any aftermarket ive seen. But either way, buying pre-tinted lights does not make it legal just because they came that way. Just a heads up

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Anything that dimishes the light output, headlight or taillight it is illegal in most places.

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    dotto84

dotto84 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 black out
    Halo Headlights, Konig airstrike rims, Black badges, Black mesh grill, roll n lock bed cover, bed mat, neoprene seat covers, weather tech floor mats, tinted windows,
    the aftermarket lights are just painted black on the inside and also has red and clear sections in it for the brake light and blinker. but the tint i have would just black out the whole tail light.

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    Here in California, the vehicle code prohibits the use or installation of any lighting equipment that is altered from it's OEM condition:

26101. (a) A person shall not sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104. (b) A person shall not use upon a vehicle, and a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway that has installed a device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of a lighting, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device complies with Section 26104.

26104 refers to laboratory testing in order to qualify for highway use.

Most if not all States have similar statues in place and if not, the
    Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Statues are in effect. This is just a FYI in case anyone is planning on using or modifying any of the OEM lights.

Ray

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    +1 not bashing OP. Just just giving you an honest warning. Its not legal in any state. Trust me

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    i busted one of my lights too. i also wanted the black look so i bought these aftermarket lights. i think these are the ones the op is talking about.
    [​IMG]

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Those are fine. The lens has to be clear