1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM 7 Pin trailer plug disassembly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Atomic47, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Atomic47

Atomic47 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, 2013 oem touch screen radio, reverse camera added into Pop'n'Lock locking tailgate handle, black powder-coated TRD Sport rims, 32" light bar in custom fabricated mount, aux reverse lights in rear bumper
    I ‘ve been watching this site for a couple of years and haven’t seen a "how-to" on disassembling the stock 7 pin plug. I tried searching a few times before I relocated my 7 pin plug. This is my first "how-to" so forgive me if it doesn’t make sense…I’ll try to explain as well as I can.

Photo (1.) The visible electrical contacts portion that you can see when you lift the spring loaded cover is first…it pulls out after you press in on all 4 grey tabs visible on the outside of the 7 pin. The arrows in the photo point to two of these tabs.

Photo (2.) This a better photo of the pieces inside. They come out in the order they are numbered.I used a pick to remove the o-ring and the white spacer. It took a lot of convincing to get the white piece out.

Photo (3.) This shows the contents of the trailer plug after it has been disassembled and the order that it comes apart.

Photo (4.) The wires can be pulled out from the back but only after releasing the tabs that holds each one locked in place inside the plug unit. I had a difficult time figuring out how this came apart…lots of cursing involved, lol. Once it’s apart it’s very easy to re-assemble again, just remember where each wire goes. I wrote down the order on a piece of paper.

I hope that this helps somebody! Thanks for all of the great info that I have received from this site and all of you.

1. DSC00156 a.jpg
    2. DSC00154 a.jpg
    3. DSC00157 a.jpg
    4. DSC00151 a.jpg

Skada, G.T., steelhd and 1 other person like this.
  2. Oct 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Thanks for this write up, I need to replace mine housing cause it broke from getting caught up on some rocks

3. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Atomic47

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, 2013 oem touch screen radio, reverse camera added into Pop'n'Lock locking tailgate handle, black powder-coated TRD Sport rims, 32" light bar in custom fabricated mount, aux reverse lights in rear bumper
    Thank you. It took a while to figure out how to take it apart without breaking it, lol.

4. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    romeo

romeo Wombat

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Lacey, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4x4 DC Sport
    i recently went off roading and tore mine up, ive looked online to find a replacement along with the mount for it but no luck, think you guys could help?

5. Nov 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Atomic47

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    I might have the bracket still. I can check tomorrow. Would that help you at all? Are you really in Germany still?

6. Nov 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
  7. Apr 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Great post, Denis! Where are the clips for the wires? How did you reach them?

8. Apr 28, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Atomic47

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Thanks! They are part of the contact portion of the end of the wires. I reached them from the back side of the plug with the small pick (shown in the 3rd crappy cell phone photo) and running it alongside the wire into the block. I hope this helps.

9. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Yeah, it helped, but since the housing was destroyed anyway, I decided to tear into it and expose the clips from the opposite side. lol So let me add another photo into this thread's mix. The green circles and lines are the clips that need to be pushed UP.
    [​IMG]
    Helpful thread, so thanks, again, Denis!

10. Apr 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    Atomic47

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Thanks for the added picture. It's much better than my description! I wish that I had taken my good camera with me when I went to my brother's place to do this mod.

11. May 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM
    jstanley

jstanley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 Pyrite Mica.
    OTT, OME, Dakar, Eaton rear locker, camper shell, Konig Six Shooters and 33" Wildpeak tires, Pelfreybilt front bumper and skids
    Any tips for getting that white piece out?

Maybe I just don't have the right curse word yet.

12. May 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    Atomic47

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Yes, the white piece will come out fairly easily if you use a small pick (with a hook at the end). Likely, you're using all of the same curse words that I did. :)

13. May 18, 2015 at 7:15 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Let me just say that you can buy this exact same part at NAPA for like 10 bucks... you take apart the old one (just undo one screw and push the wiring out from the housing) and cut the wires off as close to the end as possible, then you re-attach it to the new one (screw type connector) and you have a brand new 7-pin harness. Better than working on the old one IMO....

14. May 24, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    Atomic47

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Sure, you could do that. It wasn't very hard to figure out how to disassemble it though. I just took it as a small challenge that only cost me a little time and no money at all. :)

15. May 25, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    OTT, OME, Dakar, Eaton rear locker, camper shell, Konig Six Shooters and 33" Wildpeak tires, Pelfreybilt front bumper and skids
    The problem with that is if you actually pull a trailer off road it puts your 7 pin adapter in an even worse position that the plug was originally.

16. May 25, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Still considering the light hole since the existing plug wont fit well in the curved section next to the license plate, just want to see how one light lights the plate before I do that. Still need to make another attempt at disassembling the stock plug.

17. May 29, 2015 at 11:19 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    for an alternative to taking out a light, check out the link in my earlier post, up near the top.

18. May 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, that would probably work for most people but I have a hitch mount bike rack that I added lights too because the wheels and tires obscure the taillights, because I don't want to give anyone an excuse for not seeing the lights and destroying several thousand dollars in bikes.

19. Mar 25, 2016 at 5:21 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    Excellent write-up. I've been wanting to move the socket, but didn't want to cut/splice the wires. I've been collecting links about it for a long time.

edit: I found a $150 basically new replacement 2nd. gen bumper, so I did that and left the trailer socket in the same place, then added air bags, with the fill valves mounted in the same plate. Perfect.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  20. Mar 25, 2016 at 5:27 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Agreed, thanks for the write up, I hope to remove my factory 7 pin and replace it with the new dual option plug that comes on the 3rd gens since I have both old and new trailers and little interest in rewording the trailers.

Products Discussed in

To Top