1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tinting?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mainland_newfie, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    if it was stock truck i would say what the f ..but your truck has the 6 inch lift ...i think your going to be screwed with that because you have a big target on your back..it looks soo sick that the cops will notice you more

2. Apr 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    Tool

Tool Who Inspires You?

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD SuperCharger 6in ProComp Lift, DTLT Headers, JBA Exhaust, Pioneer Appradio 4, Coverking seat covers, 2 10in Rockford Fosgate subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, N-fabs, 6000k HID LED Taillights
    well i got pulled over before i got the lift!
    lets see how long i can last with out gettin pulled over again.

3. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    AustinBeauDaniels

AustinBeauDaniels Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Malibu, CA
    Vehicle:
    black 4x4 2007 4 door
    Window and Taillight tint, ATX rims BFgoodwrich all terrain, All new Sound system, Fox 2.5 coilovers, black housing headlights. grillcraft grill, Allprooffroad front bumper. Air intake.
    i say 20% looks so sick. i got it on my black double cab and it looks legit :) well anyways its risky cause you might get a ticket but its not bad. anybody know how much taillight tinting costs ballpark price?

4. Apr 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Huskerjim

Huskerjim You gotta love your brother inlaw!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fleming Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    Ballistic Wheels Nitto Tires Extang Cover Exhaust Duel Leather Interior OEM Bug Shield Bullet Grill and Ect. Bed Mat
    florida they dont care...

5. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Getting mine tinted right this minute. Got some new 3M film that reads legal, but is actually darker. Good match with the factory tint on the rear windows. Tint King in Billerica, MA. Drove an hour to get here. They did my Acura 2 yrs ago too. Photos to come.....

6. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd be very interested to see/read about this film. Reads legal but is colored different or whatever I'll buy-but reads legal but is darker than it reads I don't believe...

7. Apr 11, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Stating what the guy at the tint place said. It is the "pure-black" one. Mentioned in their blog here: http://www.tintking.blogspot.com/

I don't know the science, and they were already installing it when he said it, so it wasn't a BS selling point. My guess is that it transmits the same light as before, but is more black looking than gray from the outside, therefore darker? I dunno.

Crappy day out today, so will take pics when it clears up. Got the 38% film, to get as close to legal as possible in MA.

8. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    Huskerjim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fleming Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    Ballistic Wheels Nitto Tires Extang Cover Exhaust Duel Leather Interior OEM Bug Shield Bullet Grill and Ect. Bed Mat

Dude, this guy is giving a line of crap, 3M thinks they are the best and they are excellent with the vinyl but the glue is the worst in the industry. The tint shop is blowing smoke up you butt. Get your boots on it's getting deep. Tint looks darker when first installed when completely dried it's lighter, 20% is 20% 35% is 35% and 5% is 5% get the picture. there are guys out there that have to much time on their hands and blow smoke when no need to. Most Police don't even use a meter when they pull you over they ticket u if they feel it is to dark and your siting their screwed and have to pay to fight it. Darker than it really show LOL thats a good one. I have muffler bearing that need replace too.:eek:

9. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah..That's what I said- It's a different color than before- but it's still X% of tint. You aren't getting 20% film that reads 35%...You are getting 35% film that is "purer" black and maybe holds color better...but it's still 35%

10. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Didn't say it was 20% but reading 35%. Said it looked darker. "Purer black" may be a good way of wording it. Call 'em up and ask him to word it better. www.tint-king.com

The way I understood him (bear with my analogy):
    - 35% yellow tint will look lighter from the outside than 35% charcoal tint.
    - 35% charcoal tint will look lighter from the outside than 35% "purer black".

All in the wording.......which probably wasn't good in my original post.

11. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Huskerjim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fleming Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport

Whew.. we all have to much time on our hands.. It's all good!

12. Apr 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie [OP] Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    Happy Easter Yall, I listened to the majority here and got the 20 % heres a little easter gift, my pics... Thanks again everyone for your responses, looks alot better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Apr 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    nice! looks like mine:D

14. Apr 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie [OP] Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    well its just the start, still have the tonneau stereo, and a lift, then maybe get rid of the mud flaps and put that coating on the under sides.

15. Apr 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Nice! I was about to add my search for perfect tint a while ago but everyone said do 5% or 20% but once some people said you can't see shit outta it at night I went with 20% (which is actually 18% but nobody can tell) and that's one of the only things that I still love on the car and will miss when I get the Taco...but it has privacy glass so it's all good! :D

16. Apr 13, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    Looks good!

17. Apr 13, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    Redfox458

Redfox458 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab
    Ok so my question is.....in order to get the tint on the entire truck to match, is there a way for the tint shop to remove the factory tint?? I dont want to try to have them match it, I know it won't look exact :( :mad:

18. Apr 13, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Naw, the factory tint isn't a film...it's like...part of the glass or something. lol I'm no help but I know it can't be taken off.

19. Apr 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    Huskerjim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fleming Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport

No it's built in the glass can not be taken off and will not fade scratch anything like thats a great option+++

20. May 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Slick8810

Slick8810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    3" lift, 20% tint, billet grille
    they match it pretty good, its not even noticeable. by the way i have 20% on my tacoma too.

Products Discussed in

To Top