1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any help or advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adio, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jul 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    adio

adio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    So I've gone this far on my Satoshi grille mod. But the only problem that I got is the paint not being smooth like factory. It feels like fine sand paper. What I did was sand with 400 than 600, prime-5 lite coats than sand again with 600, 5 coats of dupli color mathing paint, finally 3 coats of clear coat sealer. what you guys think I've done wrong? Should I just re-sand it with 600 and just repaint it again? It's just the inner part of the grille that I'm talking about. any advise is greatly appreciated
    image1_8be8d2178f6ec273f55b1ff5e556c5ff7e1fbdd2.jpgimage2_110d8938b275ec96f7d551cc56fc993563522df3.jpgimage3_f87c69732245f2f7d648965dd28f3edb05d375ec.jpg

2. Jul 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Use finer grit sandpaper?

Maybe 800 or larger

3. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I am guessing you sprayed this with a rattle can. What was the temp and humidity when you sprayed this? Also was it is a closed room/ garage? I am guessing it was too humid and temp to high possibly.

What happens is the complete paint surface is not wet and the grit you are getting is paint that dried quickly.

Even being a small part it is hard to spray and get good results with a aerosol can.

You can try wet sanding it with 1000 then 1500 and then use a compound/glaze. All paint spray needs to be cut and buffed. Only paint jobs that are not are the factory jobs which leave alot to be desired (ie orange peel)

You will not get a factory job out of a can.

I did mine with a can and used two cans at a time to keep the surface wet and it is still not the same as a real spray gun. Mine is decent but not factory like.

4. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    adio

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    lj973gm- yup dupli color match spray can from oreilly. temp was around 86 and humidity 76. backyard open garage if that makes sense.

Will using any primer do any good after sanding with 1000 and 1500, or don't use it at all? What's the compound glaze you're talking about?

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    You have a few options

Try to went sand and then buff but I am not sure it will give that great of results in the end.

Wait for it to cure after a couple of days and then sand it smooth and repaint

I am guessing this was originally a chrome grill that you wanted to color match? Depending how you prepped it you can likely strip it back to the chrome of raw plastic.

When I sprayed mine, I got impatient and cleaned my garage and put it in a bad spot. Someone at my house knocked it over and I had to repaint it. Since I just scuffed the chrome with a 150 grit sand paper I knew using some thinner and degreaser would bring it back down to the chrome. So I used alot of rags and took off all the work I just did and then resprayed it.

The temp and humidity you sprayed it at likely caused your problems. The only other way for a rough coat is holding the can too far away. About 8-10" works best.

I cannot remember the brand of paint I used but one of the first brands I tried did not match. Might want to check to see your color to see how well it matches before you use the same paint again.

I scuffed the chrome, sprayed adhesion promoter since it is plastic, then primer, then two coats color, then 4 coats clear so it would have enough to buff.
    Best of luck

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    More than likely you have overspray on the inner portion. You should be able to wet sand with 1000 grit and recoat with clear. Make sure you spray away from the face of the surround or you will end up messing that part up with overspray.

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    you are laying down dry coats. you need a wet coat to finish, allow tack time between coats and finish with a wet coat.

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    adio

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    lj973gm- I'll try one of those options. answer to #3- it's actually just the inner part of the grille, which was factory black. maybe this time I'll hold the can closer. used Dupli-Color, color match spray paint. color code 1E7, same as factory. so best bet for me is to actually do this during the night, where the temp and humidity is a lot lower?

Raz4back- I actually took out the surround when I did the whole prep and painting. so it'll actually just come smoother just by sanding and then applying a clear coat?

Leggo- how do I lay down a wet coat of paint?

sorry for the noob questions guys, I just ain't no pro of a painter. honestly this was b*** to work on. but I've learned a lot getting to this point. thanks for all the advise

9. Jul 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    It's a feel thing mostly. You want to slightly slow down with the stroke just enough to get the paint to lay down, then flow out smooth. The challenge is not putting down too much paint causing runs. This is for the finish coat only.
    To start,1st put down semi dry(orange peel slightly) coats and let them set a bit before the next coat(15 minutes?). With each coat, the previous layer helps cure the newest without running. After enough paint is down, you lay down a wet coat to get it all to flow out glossy.
    It will help to practice on something else first. Good luck, you will spray like a pro in no time.:thumbsup:

10. Jul 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    When I did my surround the edges were rough. I wet sanded until they were smooth and laid down a couple of coats of clear and it came out perfect. As long as you don't sand through the clear it should be fine. As Leggo said, your final coat of clear needs to be thicker as well.

11. Jul 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    I feel a very good paint job is easily possible with a rattle can. I have painted hundreds of things and enjoyed professional results. Only larger items are easier with a spray gun and compressed air, heat booth, respirator, and down draft air flow.

12. Jul 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    When I was putting the final touch on my Satoshi I used 2000 grit.

13. Jul 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    adio

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Thanks again guys for all the advise. I'll take my time doing this, since my mesh grille doesn't come in till this saturday, hawaii sucks a** when it comes to shipping. I'll update you guys when I'm done, w/ some pic.

Leggo- sorry bro but I'm at a lost on what a "orange peel" is?
    Casey05Taco- dang 2000 grit.

14. Jul 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    the surface of an orange peel is a little "bumpy" in texture. Thats what a coat of paint is like before flowing out to high gloss. good luck bro. Never use 2000 grit, way overkill.

15. Jul 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    adio

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Oh, I understand now. Yups I already got myself 1000 and 1500 grit. Thanks again

Products Discussed in

To Top