1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering sloppy

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mash25, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    mash25

mash25 [OP] Roll Tide Roll

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC Sport 4X4..
    TGC 3'' lift,18'' Addicts,33'' Trail Grapplers
    I just recently put a 3" lift on my truck and a set of bigger tires I ran the lift 2 weeks before I got my wheels and tires put on and it drove fine just like before just a little stiffer on bumps....but after gettin my wheels and tires installed my damn truck is all over the road...on the highway and interstate it's not so bad but over bumps and back roads as soon as she hits one shell take off in either direction....I can turn the steering wheel either way better 11 and 1 and the truck doesn't even move...lot of sloppy play...I had the front end aligned the day of the wheels and tires I haven't checked to make sure if everything is tight and ok...maybe I'm just not used to it and need aftermarket Ucas? Or is something wore out now?

2. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    If the alignment tech knew what they were doing, which most of the time they do, then your caster is probably not in spec. Reason for this is the camber needs to be in spec so your tires don't wear. The instability you feel I think is called bump steer. That is most likely due to the caster being out of spec. An after market UCA will correct this, or you can just live with it.

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    mash25

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC Sport 4X4..
    Another thing to consider I just checked my tires for weights...now these are brand new tires and the right front and back left are the only 2 that have weights on them...idk if that even matters tho...

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Out of balance wheels will shake your steering wheel going down the road.

5. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    mash25

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC Sport 4X4..
    Well that's not the case...so I'm guessing I need Ucas?

6. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Totally up to you. I ran my truck with out for a while, then got the LR UCA's. I did feel a difference in steering performance.

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    mash25

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC Sport 4X4..
    I just wish my steering was tighter I guess you could say...I had an fj with a 3" lift and it drove fine but I guess the Tacomas are different

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    mash25

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC Sport 4X4..
    I read something about gettin it realigned and makin them add +2 something to it and it won't wonder?

9. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Get UCA's. Also, chalk test your tires to find the proper air pressure.

10. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Maybe. Usually you do need either UCAs or spindles to allow the necessary adjustment range after a lift of this magnitude. It basically comes down to needing more caster and a certain amount of toe. If you get both of those on the high side of the normal range it will fix the wandering.

Post a scan of your alignment sheet and I can give you specifics.

11. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    [​IMG]

12. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    What are the alignment specs to which the truck was adjusted?

Products Discussed in

To Top