1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions Wanted: Trade an 07 F150 for a new Taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robert B, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Robert B

Robert B [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD/OR 6 Spd Manual
    Now, that I have my F150 built nearly the way I like it, I'm thinking of trading it for new Taco. The F150 is an FX4 SCREW 6-1/2' bed with King Racing Shocks, 35" tires, Edge Evolution tuner, a set of HID off-road lights, inverter, DVD Entertainment, spray in-liner and roll top bed cover. With the Kings, it drives incredibly well in the So Cal deserts and hard pack.

So, why am I thinking of ditching it? First, it is huge. Parking it takes nearly as much effort as putting my 46' sail boat into a slip. Second, it drinks gas in huge gulps. With my heavy foot, I get 13 mpg tops. The larger tires have not impacted the mileage; it has always gotten horrible mileage. Third, the back seat is very roomy but the seat back is nearly vertical, prompting complaints of back pain from the kids on long trips.

Will a new double cab, 6' bed Taco address my concerns? How is it as a daily driver in the city? How are the Bilsteins that come the TRD option (will I have to spend another couple grand for Kings)? Is the back seat comfortable for long drives (10+ hours -- San Diego to Tahoe)? If you have gone from a full size to a Taco, what are you giving up? Any regrets?

Thanks ​

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I came from a Dodge Ram quad cab Hemi. I don't have any regrets so far. The biggest thing that I gave up is the interior space and the sound of the Hemi. (had an exhaust on it) But the back seat is fairly tight, I don't know if an adult would want to ride in the back seat that far but kids should be fine for sure. Parking is a huge improvement but I have the 5ft bed. People told me I wouldn't get that much better in mpg's but to me it's a big difference. My Ram averaged 14 mpg and 15 or just over if I drove a lot of hwy miles. But I do drive easy. My Tacoma gets around 19 on average. If you drive that hard or plan to lift you may not gain much if any mpg's imo. I do feel that if/when I take my truck on a trip that I will get 22-23 mpg's, I have hit 20-21 before with some tanks having more hwy driving on them.

My truck does drive and feel of a full size unlike previous small trucks I've had. Only regret I can think of and that isn't really a regret is the fact that my Ram was paid for. But I know I'll be much happier when the Tacoma is paid off. Hope this helps.

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    Robert B

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. That my F150 is paid off definitely is a factor, which is why I am seeking opinions before a new car payment. :D

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Didnt I just read this on EXPO portal? :D

5. Jul 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    Robert B

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Yup. We get around especially with select, copy and paste.

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    I have a Dodge 2500 and a Taco--I drive the TACO most of the time--Easy driver and parker. Only use the BIG truck when it is necessary. Keep BOTH!

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    Lots of people have a Taco for the exact reasons you stated you want to trade, so I think it's pretty obvious what people trully think. What's the old adage "know by their actions."

8. Jul 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    Stock '09 6' bed DC 4x4 TRD here. I live in the Bay so I do a good amount of city driving, it's comfortable, easy to park. The stock bilsteins aren't bad, but if you're into desert driving, you'll probably end up upgrading them. I really like the TRD front seats more than the SR5, I'm 6'4" and it's very comfortable. I haven't had anyone in the back for really long drives, but for medium distances, I haven't had any complaints from adults.

I think your biggest difference is going to be mileage. Combined city/highway daily driving, with a fairly heavy foot, I've never seen any lower than 16 mpg.

On a few long trips, ranging from 85% flat highway on cruise control (~70-75) most of the time, and most recently a trip to Yosemite with all the steep grades (downshifting for some of the downhills), I've seen 20-21 mpg.

9. Jul 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    uzisuicide

uzisuicide Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner
    My wife and I traded my '08 F150 for a 2012 Tacoma Prerunner last week, and couldn't be happier with the change. It's truly sickening to watch the gas needle move literally every time you crank up your truck. I don't have that problem with my Toyota.

I drive pretty much exclusively in town, which my F150 HATED. The Tacoma is much better in town than that big ol' 5.4 liter hot rod. It was a great truck, but just too much truck for my needs.

The only thing I miss about the Ford is that it was loud and looked way cool. But I'm married, so I'm not really trying to impress the chicks with my truck anymore, ya know?

A friend of mine has a 2010 Double Cab TRD 4x4, and he loves it. According to him, though, it still sucks on gas.

10. Jul 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    The only thing I miss about my F-150 is the captain's chairs.

11. Jul 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    If you plan on getting big tires again, like wide heavy 33's or 35's, it's going to be a pig on gas too, unless you regear which is definitely an option. I get 17 mpg mixed driving with my 265/70/R17 bfg A/T's (31.6 x 10.5) with a fairly light foot, and I'm sure I am getting over 20mpg strictly highway.

to me the back seat is fine for 2 adults.

I think my truck looks pretty cool with the 3'' lift and those tires..
    [​IMG]

12. Jul 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    i say trade it. the taco will last much longer, be better on gas, and you dont give really anything up. plus you can get a factory e-locker on the taco, and the aftermarket is alot bigger.

13. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I wasn't saying it wasn't, just not sure about for a long trip. ;)

14. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I'm in the same boat as tacodawgfan. I had a ram with a hemi but now my mpg is better I average 19-20 and recently went to GA & averaged 21-23. I drove for 5 1/2 hrs & the taco is comfortable,i think the quality is better & it has more options like bluetooth,sat. Radio & back up camera. The only things I miss are the ram was paid for,the sound of the flowmaster & my wife wouldn't drive it cuz it was too big with a 6" lift & 35's. I'm very happy with my decision. Also my payment & gas bill for the month doesn't add up to the gas bill for the ram so I'm saving money.I'd say trade but that's just my opinion plus you wouldn't be driving a ford anymore ha ha.

15. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Wife wouldn't drive mine either, said it was too big. Not that I really want her driving the Tacoma but she wont drive it either. She doesn't like driving trucks or suv's. Guess I'm lucky in a sense but do want her to be comfortable driving the truck in case she has to.

16. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    A double cab Tacoma is still a pig to park - especially if you get the longbed (6' bed) version.

You should go test drive one - and drive it to the places you plan to use it - to see if you think it's really any improvement.

Also, you won't spend much time on this forum until you run into guys griping about the Tacoma gas mileage. Once you oversize your tires, if you bring a lead foot to the game, you'll probably be getting around 15 vs. your current 13.

Worth it to trade? Buy what you want man. Only you can say for sure if it's worth it. Perhaps what you really want is a fresh platform to start the modification game over again.

17. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Just the other day I squeezed the Taco into a spot to make a delivery and it made me laugh as the Fords and Dodges looked on. The turning circle is great, too; no 3 point turns.

The fuel economy is surprisingly poor but I do have to remind myself I'm putting $75 a week into it instead of $175. I do wish we could get a group buy going for those "Long Ranger" fuel tanks so I could go an extra week before refueling.

If I had to do it over I'd get the (4 cylinder of course) automatic; shifting is getting tedious.

Good luck with your decision.

18. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Bodz

Bodz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4 DCLB
    3" lift, Xd Spy wheels, 265/70/17 Michelins, skid pan, fog lights tint, Flyzeye LED lights, ADVMonster LED lights, tri-fold tonneau, box divider........will it ever end? LOL
    I went from a loaded 2008 f150 supercrew to a "loaded" TRD doublecab, no regrets especially in monthly fuel bills, parking, handling and overall fun. But whereI will REALLY appreciate making the switch to the Tacoma will be when I trade it in. Tacomas hold their value very well, likely the best of any truck.

That being said, I do sometimes miss some of the gimmicky bells & whistles of my Ford. Otherwise, it was just an overgrown gas-thirsty lug that far too quickly lost its value.

19. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Yeah - but you're driving a regular cab; same as me. That thing outmaneuvers both my Odyssey minivan and Intrepid 4 door sedan in close quarters.

But the OP is asking about a double cab.

20. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    True. The double cab still has to be miles better than those other trucks, anyway. [​IMG] Although, I do like this one alot. Simple, reliable and rugged; not anymore

Products Discussed in

To Top