1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air bag light on, Keyless entry not working, and click noise when starting..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by x2468, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jul 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    x2468

x2468 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    As i've started my last few threads, I went though some headlight deep water the other day which resulted in water entering the cab. I stripped the entire cab down to the metal, disconnected the battery, pulled apart every connection i could find that was knee height and down, cleaned it out with connection cleaner http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y5lTaQJfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg and dielectric greased it.

At the moment I've made 3 observations:

1) the airbag light is on in the dash

2) my keyless entry isn't working. red light on the remote blinks when i hit a button but no result.

3) When I start the truck, it makes a loud, audible solenoid click right before starting. Makes me worried about the starter.

As for the first two, not sure if they are related. Maybe there is a connection or a computer box somewhere i can clean out.

As for the starter. I bought this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B003NTQCA2

Can I use it to clean the starter somehow? Are there connections to the starter I can clean?

Thanks.

2. Jul 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    x2468

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    bumpity bump

3. Jul 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Any wiring wrapped in yellow tape or loom, or any yellow connectors almost always indicate air bag electrical. Those should not be unplugged for any reason because they can mess up the srs system and even accidently deploy ypur air bags. Any yellow plug that was also secured by an orange zip tie looking thing is especially a major no-no! Air bag sensors are scattered throughout the truck, usually on both bumpers, and at every door sill, and also in your a b and c pillars. Many of those are below your describes water level. Want unplugged sensor/connection or anyone that was under water could have tripped your light. This could be a sign of a very serious problem and should be diagnosed asap! Srs lights are dangerous.

As for the keyless entry, your OEM key less entry module is located behind the glove box at the second body ecm. I highly doubt the water was that high otherwise your truck would have been totaled. So its probably something simple. Check ALL fuses inside and out. Also replace remote battery. If your power door lock system works and they security light comes on when the doors are locked and the truck is off, then the system should be working fine. Its probably a remote wireless connection issue which is provably coincidence and not related to your recent water exploration.

I would say both of those issues should be diagnosed by the dealer for accurate results. Most mechanics don't have the vehicle specific tools to accurately diagnose problems of this nature correctly and accurately. They will simply give you a general idea of the problem.

4. Jul 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Oh and for the starter.... I know its located lower in the engine compartment and for sure got submerged, but I have no clue what could be wrong. It might be ruined or if something got inside somehow... idk :notsure:

Did any get in your intake??? Check your filter see off its dirty/wet... that would be bad!

5. Jul 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    x2468

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Thanks for the reply! I did unplug 3 yellow plugs from a yellow box clustered behind the ash tray under the stereo. There was some dirt on the floorboard sides of the connections. Sprayed it out with the aforementioned cleaner and dielectric greased them. But the airbag light is still on. Perhaps the box is fried? I'm hoping the light just means that I have no airbag for the time being?

No water in the intake. i was traversing an underwater off camber, and luckily the intake side was the highground side.

any idea on the loud click before starting? it sounds like an unloaded gun trying to fire. It does start rather healthily though.

The electronic door locks do work, and when i put the key in and turn it twice it unlocks the pass door. Could be the remote battery. that'd be a weird coincidence though.

6. Jul 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    I though the srs control module was under the center console but I could be wrong. Its probably under the stereo as you mentioned. That is the main control for all srs air bags. Anything unplugged from there will trip the light. Do not unplug them again! They could trip all your air bags to deploy. It probably just needs to be reset. Dealer or mechanic can do this. Regular obd reader won't work for srs.

For the starter.... no clue.

For the door... maybe battery and big coincidence. Really have no idea on that either. Sorry.

7. Jul 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    This entire time I've been giving you info for a 2nd Gen. But the yellow plug thing still applies to any vehicle. Just the location of stuff is different than what I've been telling you. My bad

8. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    x2468

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    yeah, TW should have different color layouts for 1st and 2nd gen forums. so many people get confused.

Products Discussed in

To Top