1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone wanna split shipping on sliders (Houston or Dallas)?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by soonenough, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jul 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    soonenough

soonenough [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    ARB front bumper, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper w/ swingout, full OME suspension, Trail Teams FJ wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper S/T Maxx, Leer 100R, OPOR sliders, Warn M8000-S, Yaesu FT-7800R dual-band ham radio, Midland 75-822 CB radio
    Hey guys I'm looking to order a set of Outpost Offroad (MetalTech 4x4) sliders as part of the GB they're having right now (link). It ends in 3 days, and it's a heck of a good deal - $300 for a set of 05+ Tacoma bolt-on hybrid DOM sliders with kickout, BUT the shipping is a killer due the sliders having to ship via truck freight. Is there anyone in the Houston (or Dallas) area that would be interested in splitting the shipping costs? The vendor said they can package more than one set of sliders on a pallet to reduce the shipping cost per person.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    How much shipping? And hybrid means bolt & weld right?

3. Jul 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    ABregenzer

ABregenzer Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    The Dirty Lew, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 4X4
    Stickers. Lots of stickers.
    I would be interested. But hybrid is square/ tube sliders IIRC.

4. Jul 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    ARB front bumper, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper w/ swingout, full OME suspension, Trail Teams FJ wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper S/T Maxx, Leer 100R, OPOR sliders, Warn M8000-S, Yaesu FT-7800R dual-band ham radio, Midland 75-822 CB radio
    As ABregenzer said, hybrid sliders = sliders made from both square (or rectangular) and round tubing, as opposed to ones made completely from round tubing. The OPOR sliders have 2" square tubing for the 4 'legs' that stick out from the frame mount plates, and also for the main beam that runs front to rear; the outer runner and the kickout are 1.75" round tubing. And they're designed to be bolt-on, although I guess any slider could be welded on if desired.

[​IMG]

As for the shipping costs, I'm not sure yet. I called Metal-Tech / OPOR this afternoon for a quote, but their sales guy was out. He's supposed to call me back tomorrow morning. I saw one person mention in the GB thread that he split shipping with another guy, and it ended up being about $90 per person, but I can't remember where he was located.

I'm also going to ask the Metal-Tech sales guy if they're able to ship through Fastenal, because that should be much cheaper than truck freight.

5. Jul 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Def. interested, are you in Houston or Dallas? If Houston would we have to pick a central store so they would be on the same pallet? I have a fastenal 2 blocks from me.

6. Jul 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    I live in northwest Houston (Cypress area), but my wife and I are up in Dallas all the time because we both have family there. Where in Houston are you?

I'll have to find out from the guy at Metal-Tech / OPOR tomorrow about the freight details, but yes, in order to get any 'group discount' on shipping the sliders would have to be stacked on the same pallet. That way they're not really taking up any additional room, it's just additional weight. I'm assuming that the freight company will have a preferred location(s) within any city that are easier to unload at (docks, forklifts, etc), which will be cheaper to deliver to than asking the truck to drive to a random location.

I have a Fastenal right next to my office, but I won't know until I talk to them tomorrow if Fastenal is even an option.

I'll make sure I find out about insurance on the shipping, as it's not uncommon for stuff to be damaged during freight shipping. I'll also ask how many sets of sliders could be 'stacked' on one pallet.

7. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    Put me down for a pair. They're not beautiful, but they'll get the job done :D I'm in Austin, but will drive in either direction to pick up.

Waaait, wait, wait, wait. Are these 4-door only? I'm an access cab.

8. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    I'd confirm with the vendor before ordering; I don't wanna say one way or the other and then they don't fit your truck. On their website, it says "4-Door", and the only option was to choose short bed or long bed, so I'm gonna guess that they're Double-Cab only. Which is weird, considering that the DCLB is typically a completely different slider, and the AC and DCSB are usually the same I thought.

9. Jul 12, 2012 at 3:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Let me know, I stay in SE Houston deer park area.

10. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    Just sent you a PM; let me know something ASAP, as we need to get these things ordered today if possible, tomorrow at the latest. Looks like there's going to be three of us getting them shipped together.

11. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    buddyfixit

buddyfixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 Avid Lightbar "super taco"
    TRD air filter, Predator Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Avidoffroad Lightbar, B.A.M.F. lightbar, Rearview Mirror Bracket, Console Organizer, CH Holster in dash, More to come...
    I just saw this and was about to go with the famous fabrication sliders for 485 shipped. Their sale ends on the 20th I am in the southern DFW area and have 2 fastenalls close to where I'm at. If at all possible I think I would like to team up with you all unless it poses a difficulty. Let me know.

12. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    Jon - I think we've got 3 people here in Houston that are gonna split shipping to a freight terminal in NW Houston. I gave preference to the first two people that contacted me (one guy that posted in the GB thread, and then the first person that posted here in this thread). The guy I talked to at Metal-Tech (Brandon) made it sound like 3 sets was the most he could fit on one pallet. So unless someone backs out, I don't think we could get another person in on this shipment.

ABregenzer (3rd post in this thread) is in the DFW area and said he was interested - maybe try to coordinate something with him?

EDIT: one other thing - the guy I talked to at Metal-Tech didn't know that Fastenal offered shipping services. He said they have one right down the street from their shop, and that he might talk to them about shipping instead of using a truck freight company, which would probably reduce cost. If you could get him to ship through Fastenal, you could probably get 2 sets of sliders shipped for about the same as what the freight company is charging us to ship 3 sets.

13. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD air filter, Predator Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Avidoffroad Lightbar, B.A.M.F. lightbar, Rearview Mirror Bracket, Console Organizer, CH Holster in dash, More to come...
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will check him out and see if he is still interested. I still may go with the famous fabs since he has a little longer window for his group buy and its not much more. What type of coating are you thinking of? I've powder coated my avid off road light bar but that seems a little too spendy for sliders that will inevitably get scraped. As much as i don't like it I may just rattle can them. Function over Fashion.

14. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    Out of curiosity whats the freight charge? Under 200?

15. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    The freight charge was $250 total for 3 sets of sliders on one pallet from Portland, OR to Houston.

As for the paint - yea, I will probably just rattle-can mine with bare metal primer and semi-gloss black. The anal-retentive side of me wants to get the HVLP gun and shoot them properly, but the practical side of me says that's a waste of effort. If they're properly prepped, and decent painting technique is used, and decent spray paint is used (I recently used Rustoleum Professional for a project and was pretty impressed), there's no reason that a rattle-can job won't come out looking decent. One thing's for sure - I definitely won't powdercoat them; not worth the money.

16. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    soonenough

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    Alright well one guy backed out, so there's room for one other person to get in on this. The shipping for 3 people comes out to $85 per person, which is half the price of shipping a single set. Myself and the other guy have both already placed our orders with Metal-Tech, so there's no worrying about whether it'll fall through.

If anyone in Dallas wants to get in on this, I will be up there within the next few weeks and could meet you somewhere to deliver them.

17. Jul 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I'm asking about the access cab now. If they fit, count me in for a raw set.

18. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    access cabs and DCSB have the same frame so i dont see why they wouldnt work angie :notsure:

19. Sep 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    It's confirmed, these DO fit an Access Cab!

The Taco Lean required me to shim the driver-side slider away from the frame by about 1/4" but that was the only fitment-issue I ran into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top