1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake pads fell out

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fridgitator, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    fridgitator

fridgitator [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma
    My Tacoma is an '02 with just over 80K. I've had it for less than a year. I replaced the front brake pads just after I got it, Using a Haynes manual as my guide. I have done brakes on at least a dozen vehicles before, but this was my first time on a Toyota. Two days ago, I started to hear the slight grinding sound that indicates thin pads. I drove very little since then, planning to replace them later today. When I backed out of a parking spot, one of the pads, and two of the plates fell to the pavement. I have never seen brake pads actually fall out of any vehicle like that before. I installed them by the book, and had no indication of a problem. Does this indicate serious damage to other components? I plan to replace them tomorrow (with better than store brand), but I'm really concerned about safety if there is something I'm missing here. Thanks for any input.

2. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    unless it sheared the 2 pins going through the pads on top and bottom or broke the calipers i do not see how they fell out. id really check it out good.

3. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    is your caliper broken. the pads should fit in the grove. they should have come with the spring clips. did you use new ones. did you put the two guide pins back in ?are you saying the pad dis bounded from its baking plate?
    :worthless:

4. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    haven't heard this one before :/

5. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    welcome. be sure to visit the texas bs thread:D and vote on my sig thread:D

6. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    bizarre. doesn't seem likely.

7. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    If the pad fell on the ground, then so did the pins and clips that held them in place. You'll have to get new ones.

I recommend you take your truck to a dealer. He will do install them correctly :eek: and have all the little clips and pins that are needed.

8. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    fridgitator

fridgitator [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma
    Looks like I'm taking the day off from work anyway.:rolleyes: I'll post some pix of what I see when I pull it apart. I'll have to figure out how to get it to a dealer if it comes to that. Thanks for the responses.

9. Jul 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Wow. Unless both pins and the retaining pin fell off, there is really no way this should have happened. Even if the two pins were not installed correctly and not through the holes on the pad, they still shouldn't be able to fall out. I would look for something that is way wrong.

10. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    fridgitator

fridgitator [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma
    Thank you for your patience. I replaced the pads today. I didn't find anything wrong with the calipers, or any indication of anything broken off. What I did find was that the pads were far more worn than I had initially thought. The noisemaker clip things were gone, and I used the wrong clips on the outboard side. I still don't like the fact that the worn pad and shims just fell out, even if I had overlooked something on install.

These are the pad and shims that fell out.
    [​IMG]

These are the outboard ones on the same wheel.
    [​IMG]

This is the caliper after I took the wheel off.

[​IMG]

This is the caliper from both sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed the new pads without incident, making sure to use the clips properly as per Haynes and the guys at Autozone. I think I'm going to have my rotors and calipers checked out before I do this again.

11. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    SupraT

SupraT Tacoma Lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Columbia Falls
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD SR5 4x4
    3" Lift Three leaf add and Bilstin 5100"s in back and Donahoe coilovers in front, Tinted Windows, Blackened parking light, tinted brake lights, clear bumper lights, Blacked out turn signals, AVS vent visors, Electric Fan mod, K&N CAI
    Five lugs a nothing like a six lug:confused: I don't see the pins that a six lug have. What holds them in place?

12. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The spring steel channels that you can see in the last picture.

Yes... if the pads wear that far down, the backplate is not thick enough and it will fall out.

Word of advice....

NEVER TOP OFF YOUR BRAKE FLUID UNLESS YOU HAVE BRAND NEW PADS!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the pads wear, the piston extends.
    When the piston extends, the brake fluid level drops.
    When the brake fluid level drops too far, it will illuminate the "BRAKE" dash indicator. This will happen before the pads are worn enough to damage the rotors unless you have a sticking caliper wearing one pad.

13. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    x2

14. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    fridgitator

fridgitator [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma
    At least the slave cylinder didn't overextend and leak brake fluid like my old Nissans did.

15. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Most cars have enough pressure to hold the pads in place. The only way I can see that happening from wear is if the pads are beyond the metal, and the rotor is wore WAY down below min thickness. I haven't owned every car that is out there, but every car I've had, this is the way it is, and as a student, I've had some pretty thin brakes, to the point of adding space for stopping distance until I had the money to fix them.

I'd also check the calipers aren't seized open. Put the pads back in, and have someone press the brake and see if the caliper compresses (DON'T do this with the caliper off the wheel. If the caliper is good, it won't be for long if it doesn't have any resistance. Another word of advice from unfortunate experience...)

16. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    fridgitator

fridgitator [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma
    I have often lived on a thin budget, and got a few extra miles out of every part I could. I'm plenty familiar with seeing pedestrians cringe in auditory pain when I applied my brakes. :rolleyes:

A serious brake job by someone more familiar than I am is on the to do list before these pads are replaced.

17. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    I recall one vehicle I had and telling the mechanic, "Those aren't wear bars, they're 'emergency tread'!" When he stopped laughing at me, he felt sorry for me and tossed me a set of used ones for under a hundred bucks.

18. Jul 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    fridgitator

fridgitator [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma

My old Volvo had been t-boned just before I bought it. I had a screen door hook on the outside of the driver's door to keep the door closed. The drive arm for the windshield wipers was broken. I had a loop of string run through the vent windows, and tied to the wipers. Not a problem when I had a passenger, but if It rained when I was alone, it was tricky to keep the wipers going and shift. At the time, stuff like that was just a matter of getting by with what I had. I can't see trying to do things like that now.

19. Jul 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    You win.:D

20. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    For whatever reason (possibly using low quality pads) the inner pad seems to have worn more than the outer pad, and has been cutting into your rotor. Eventually it cut so deep that the pad was able to move in far enough to fall out of the inner area where the caliper is not able to hold it. You will HAVE to replace the rotor on that side, and install new pads. To be honest you are lucky that the pad didn't fall out when you were having to stop behind something, or at a street light.

Products Discussed in

To Top