1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAT back vs muffler only

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Voyager, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jul 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    Voyager

Voyager [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Although the exhaust system on my ‘04 Tacoma V6, DC, TRD 4X4 is in good shape, I’m board and looking for a little more rumble and performance.

After searching this site, I’ve decided on Magnaflow. The catback system (magnaflow part # 15811) goes for about $500 at the local auto parts store.

What is stopping me from just getting a 14” or 18” Magnaflow muffler and installing it in place of the OEM muffler (leaving all the OEM 2.25” tubing and tailpipe in place)? Yes, I don’t get the polished 2.5" SS tubing, but what’s the difference?

What am I missing?

Bob

2. Jul 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    Blkvulcan

Blkvulcan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner SR5
    The only reason I can see going with a catback vs. just a muffler would be a cleaner install and easier to go back to stock.

3. Jul 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    ...and the bigger piping allows the gases to flow a bit easier and the larger piping will lower the tone some.

4. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Voyager

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Good points by everyone.

Cat back was my first call. Although the exhaust system appears to be in good shape, I’ve had this truck for 8 years…I’m concerned about getting the O2 sensor out & getting the rusted cat/pipe bolts out. Can turn into a real pain.

What does “gases to flow a bit easier” mean? More hp up top at the expense of low end torque?

The truck is basically a weekend toy hauler (see pic). Llives at low end torque.

Lower the tone some is good.

Here is what is really bugging me. If I go with just muffler, the remainder of the cash can go to an air induction system. So it is cat back vs. muffler and CAI.

Bob

DSC_0201.jpg

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    Blkvulcan

Blkvulcan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner SR5
    I would go with just the muffler and save the cash. I would love to have a catback mainly for the clean install, but I have replaced just the muffler on my last two trucks and they looked and worked great. I have never been able to justify the $500 on a catback when I could get just the muffler installed for ~$150.

6. Jul 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Another option; have a Custom shop do the "Cat back"....

I purchased just that a short time ago from Lou's Custom for around $300...;)

My 02 sensor was replaced earlier in life so they cut behind that and "opened" up the pipe size from there back to a "House STAINLESS muffler" ( Borla built,minor rumble,not a roar ) into a new tailpipe .....

My Rubber hangers were replaced by TOYOTA on the "Frame swap" so no need for new BUT all other hangers were "Virgins" created by LOU's :D....exhaust sits up tighter into frame space and NO Rattles :p

BEST part, Muffler has a 5 year warranty and LOU's will warranty workmanship on ALL of it,including that front flange they "Cleaned up" ( guaranteed for state inspection)....:cool:

7. Jul 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Voyager

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    I’m going for it. Just ordered the polished SS Magnaflow catback from advanced auto for $469, free shipping and $50 off next >$100 web order w/ promo code.

8. Jul 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    macampos50

macampos50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    san diego, ca
    Vehicle:
    new beast- 7-2012
    Bilstein 5100's all 4 corners, Drop in K&N, Interior LED, rear LED, reverse HID breaklights, turn signal LED and HID's by CSjumper2003, Cab Chop by Socalduckslayer, TC UCA's, wicked flow 13", ammo can mod, fog light mod, A little pastidip Everywhere Goals: AAL by 4WD, intake, pulleys? Spacers? maybe a power chip?
    JBA makes an affordable cat back and their focus is a long lasting product. I'm leaning towards an affordable cat back vs. a name brand exhaust. I had magna flow on my old truck and it was great, but for the price I should have had a cat back.

Products Discussed in

To Top