1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for the fab guys on this site

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nixinus, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Jul 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I spend a lot of time hauling motorcycles and I want to get my truck setup to get it done. One of the problems is the rail system which is weak. I have mounted D rings in the front of the bed already but need more moving two bikes. I have seen something that I think will work here:

http://www.ccrsport.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=125&products_id=269
    http://www.highrollerproducts.com/tiebar.html

I am all about helping these companies out by buying their product but I think it can be improved upon, specifically by designing something for the tacoma itself. I like the CCR sport rack but I dont think that the mounting of the bar is strong enough for the tacoma. Can any fab guys chime in here and let me know either 1) if there is a way to mount the bar (like the ccr pro) securely to the front of the bed or 2) is there a design that we can look at building for this application?

I run trackday here in SoCal and am pretty sure we can get some interest going if there is a strong solution.

Thanks guys!

2. Jul 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    bummer that nobody else chimmed in, i thought everyone on here was a fabricator of sorts (rolls eyes)

i would be confident in either system mounted to the plastic bed with nice, big fender washers. since your tying to the rack, and as long as the wheels touch the rack before they touch the bed the only stress your bed would endure is the weight of the rack itself. ie make sure and mount it at or just below center wheel hight.

3. Aug 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Bump. Everyone keeping busy there days?

4. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    nat

nat Well-Known Member

Member:
    South San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC SB Tacoma
    Bestop, MP3 Aux Input
    I can envision a rack that bolts into the bed using the bed bolts. It would transfer all the forces from the bikes to those mounting points. The bikes could mount in some sort of track.

Be a pretty easy design to come up with.

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I can imagine something as well. Wish I had the experience and tools required to fab up something. I find many little things that can be made/improved upon based on the hobbies I have. Hopefully someone who rides and has the experience can chime in eventually.

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    How about a custom made rack to hold two bikes with the chock they have for you to mount one on a trailer. You could bolt it through the floor where the tie downs are with steel plates backing it up under the bed. You could also have tie downs on the frame for this that supports the chocks.

Something like this but double and connected together.

[​IMG]

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Turd Herding Jim What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    utilize a track system like the Nissan Titans have in the beds of their trucks called Utili-Track:notsure: It's basically what we've got on the sides and front, but on the bed itself. Picture really says it all.
    [​IMG]

8. Aug 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I like the track system but the issue with street bikes (or any heavier bikes) is that you can reduce the amount of force on the tie down points with a wheel chock of sorts. I currently run a baxley in my bed which will hold the bike upright on its own and the tie downs are just to prevent it tipping. If something were made that both held the front wheel (like the bed buddy) and had multiple tie down points (stronger than the weak tacoma rail system) that would be perfect for carrying two bikes.

I like the bed buddy for this but I am worried that since it mounts to the rail system, how strong can it be considering the rail system is weak as is? I might jump on the bed buddy and try to reinforce the mounting of it to the bed.

9. Aug 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    If I had more free time I'd definitely fab something up. Just got too many of my own projects going on right now to add to the list. Wheel chocks are incredibly easy to make and mount so long as you feel comfortable with drilling through your bed...

10. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Was trying to avoid guessing on the quality of the work at shops I don't know. I see that most of the fab guys on this site have higher standards. Plus, being involved in multiple small businesses, I want to give my business to those that take the extra time to concern with not just quality but asthetics and customer service. I am not in a rush so ill just keep this idea in mind for now.

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    Tripps2012

Tripps2012 2014 TRD OR

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    If you are looking for a way to customize a new bed track rail check this site. They sell aircraft cargo rail tracks and tie downs. This is very close to the Nissan system in how it's made. I had the utilitrac in my '08 Frontier and it's one thing I miss dearly about the Nissan. It's very well made and thought out.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Airline-Straps-Hardware

12. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Very good stuff here. I am going to look into putting a couple rails in the floor of the bed. This is something I think toyota could have done better with their bed cleat system. Thank you.

13. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    Tripps2012

Tripps2012 2014 TRD OR

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Glad to help I had this site saved I found it on an Xterra forum they are mounting them in the floor of the cargo area on the Xterra's. I plan to swap my Toyota rails out for these myself soon.

14. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    Jim do good wiff Nissan idea?

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Yup. I am going to look into this a bit more when I have some free time. I would like to swap our tacoma rails out for something stronger and I am sure I will have to find a better way to secure them to the side of the bed as well.

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    If only I were on leave...I'd whip ya something up with two wheel chocks and D rings for strapping them down that would mount right to the front of the bed. Don't go on leave until the end of September and I doubt you wanna wait that long lol

17. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Well I already mounted some D rings on the front of the bed and they work great with a stand alone chock. Problem is trying to transport two bikes in a Tacoma. Thats why the bed buddy system (with reinforcements and better mounting to the bed) would be a great idea.

18. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    Bed buddy don't got shit on me! Well besides time to actually produce something...

19. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    hahaha! Well you let me know if you come up with anything (including free time) and we can work something out. I definitely have a few ideas from experience that I would like to see implemented.

20. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    How wide are your bikes, bar end to bar end? And do you care that your tailgate is down? Because even the long beds are too short to close the tailgate with a bike pulled straight in, even my XB12S wouldn't fit pulled straight in...

Products Discussed in

To Top