1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good news to anyone considering a pop&lock tailgate lock

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sofiasdad11, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    After having researched tailgate locks here for some time and deciding on the manual pop&lock despite it's drawbacks, one of which was the black finish appearing "cheap" and subject to further fading, was pleased to find they are now offering a "premium" finished version, in black. various oem colors now available also, though perhaps only in the standard paint-quality version (?). pleased to deal with an american company (though there website could use some tweaking)
    http://www.popandlock.net/Manual_Tailgate_Lock/Toyota_Tailgate_Lock/Manual_Toyota?product_id=93

2. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    having to pay even more for a "premium" plastic/paint because the regular one is cheap and breaks is kind of ridiculous

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    sucker is expensive...

4. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    Yangster

Yangster Active Member

Member:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC, TRD Sport
    I went with the dynolock. don't have to change out the handle.

5. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    I hear ya, but there's not a lot out there for this application. sure, could go electric (dynolock or P&L's electric version), but potentially issues with electric (look up the electrics that have failed, including if you encounter a dead battery). some here seem to love their P&L's :notsure:

6. Jul 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    i'd rather pay in between the 2 different "finishes" and them just make one version that isn't junk and will last a long time! lol

7. Jul 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    jdm.obp

jdm.obp Well-Known Member

Member:
    561, FL
    3" Pro Comp, 5% all around, Antenna X shorty, Debadged
    plasti dipped mine before I installed it

8. Jul 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    troy28

troy28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capitol of Salty Roads
    Need help
    I have the silver to match the truck. The match is not horrible but was defiantly disappointed. How do you screw up silver? If I had to do over I would have stayed with black. The main components are still primarily cheap plastic.

If you want a lock that will prevent people from easily opening the gate it does the job. If you think it will really keep out someone who wants in you will be disappointed.

For my needs I would get the manual again but in black.

9. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  10. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i don't know about the new version but, my pop&lock has been fine ging on 2 years now i think i paid 20 bucks for it if that brand new. it seems to match up pretty decent with the factory plastic handles on my regular cab. now its not a perfect match but, its close or close enough.

11. Jul 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    WarrenH

WarrenH Active Member

Member:
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    V6, Long Bed, TRD Sport
    Has anyone tried the white one? I wonder how close it matches the white Toyota paint.

Seems crazy, sounds like the only difference with the black premium and normal is the paint. That must be some expensive paint. Anyone who has seen both, it is worth it?

12. Jul 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    I've got the later model black one on my truck (added a Pioneer reverse camera to my '05) and once the paint flaked off it looked better. :rolleyes: It's holding up fine though and does what it's supposed to. I'll probably shoot some black paint on it if I ever have to take it off or open the tailgate up.

13. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    received the lock, but discovered a large, noticeable scratch on the upper-portion of the plastic casing, something that would catch my attention every time went to open it. promptly called p&l, and to their credit, they immediately sent a replacement, due today, and a return label.

DSC03846.jpg
    DSC03850.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top