1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Assistance for Aftermarket Choice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chance90, Aug 1, 2012.

?

Coil-over Choice with Circumstances?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2012.
  1. King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ICON

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Fox

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Sway-A-Way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OME

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  6. Radflo

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Toytec

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Bilstein 5100 Adjustables

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Chance90

Chance90 [OP] Member

Member:
    Delmarva
    Vehicle:
    10' Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Hello!

I've been searching so much to try and find the answers to all my questions, but I've come up short on answers.

I figured that it might be possible to make a new thread and before it gets deleted due to the repetitiveness of these, it might be answered.

Without further ado, lets get to it. I'm in search of about 1.75" of lift for my front end to level out the truck. I've researched King, ICON, Fox, Sway-A-Way, OME, Radflo, Bilstein, and Toytec for all my options. I understand the difference between progressive and digressive valving. Here are the requirements and circumstances:

Towing: Never.
    Off-roading: Never. (With exception of dirt/snow/water on the path.)
    Racing: Never.
    Front Plated Bumper: Never.
    Highway/City Driving: 95%/5%
    Lift: 1.5-2.75" (I understand most Coil-overs offer this)
    Beat the truck to death?: Hardly. I baby her.

I'm interested in the Bilstein 5100 Coil-overs offered by TRDParts4U.com and Toyteclifts.com. They seem to be a decent price with adjust-ability.

If the Kings or ICONs are a better choice for me for just tossing a few extra Benjamins, I'd be glad to do so. I'm interested in the best ride without the need to rebuild the shock. So what do you think TW?

Is there any real difference in the ride with spacers equipped of different compositions? Also, I know I could Google this, but is there a real difference in the Sport and Off-road tuned shocks that is noticeable?

2. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
  3. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    btilley1

btilley1 New Member

Member:
    Newnan
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 5-lug
    Bumpers, Mirrors, and Grill Surround painted to match truck. Tail lights tinted to match truck. AFE cold air intake. De-badged. 18 inch wheels. Calipers and drums painted black. trifold tonneau cover. Magnaflow exhaust dumped over the rear axle.
    Have you thought about just getting a leveling kit? Lots of companies make poly spacers for the front end to level trucks out. So then you retain your exact stock ride quality. I've heard that it can even smooth the ride a little bit, because the spacers absorb some of the shock, i'm guessing the same way the motor mounts do.
    I know you're looking at new coilovers, but if your driving habits aren't promiscuous then i think it's overkill. It's the difference between $130 for a leveling kit and $600+ for the other.

4. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    your driving habits are similar to mine. after mucho research here, selected the toytec ULK. very happy with it...............:D

DSC02781.jpg

5. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    always heard nothing but good things from icon, so i chose them

6. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Chance90

Chance90 [OP] Member

Member:
    Delmarva
    Vehicle:
    I'm more interested in a ready to install package. I just don't want to put that much time into it.

I like to keep the adjust-ability. I'm trying to stay away from spacers as much as possible, but if it presents itself the best route for convenience and cost... I may go with them. I know I can probably find this in a search, but do they cause considerably more strain on suspension components? Will I have to replace something sooner rather than just running a coil-over?

Those Toytec coil-overs are that nice eh? May consider them considering your habits are similar to mine....

Same thing I keep hearing....

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    IndigoTac07

IndigoTac07 Tortoise*

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma
    Voted billies as they are a cheap good way to level your truck

8. Aug 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    btilley1

btilley1 New Member

Member:
    Newnan
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 5-lug
    Bumpers, Mirrors, and Grill Surround painted to match truck. Tail lights tinted to match truck. AFE cold air intake. De-badged. 18 inch wheels. Calipers and drums painted black. trifold tonneau cover. Magnaflow exhaust dumped over the rear axle.
    umm...No towing and no offroading, I personally really couldn't justify dropping the money on coilovers. They will cause strain if you use the truck offroad. Normal driving conditions won't have a negative impact on suspension component longevity. Leveling kits are designed to balance the truck visually while retaining stock handling characteristics. Not all coilovers are noisy and rough, but they won't ride like stock. If you're not going to utilize the advantages that coilovers provide, put that $400+ in savings towards some wheels or w/e else strikes your fancy. If you want the new coil setup because you want it, then go for it.

9. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    goomba

goomba It is a Fluid Situation

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    96 White Ex. Cab Tacoma TRD 4X4
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    With what u r doing, billy 5100 adjustables will do. My bro has them with 500lb x 14" eibach coils on his runner and they ride like a Cadillac. Turns suck though.

10. Aug 2, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    Chance90

Chance90 [OP] Member

Member:
    Delmarva
    Vehicle:
    :cheers:

I had Radflos on my Nissan Titan that I traded in and I thoroughly enjoyed the quality of ride over stock. I was scared of the 6" spacers that looked like towers ready to crumble regardless of how strong the technicalities were.

If I put any money into this truck, it will be for Coil-overs, 265/75s, and electrical add-ons. I have no desire to modify anything else mechanical on the truck. Thanks for the opinion though!

My thoughts exactly.

Turns suck? Does the truck lean too much around corners?

11. Aug 2, 2012 at 5:59 AM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    Without the sway bar it leans like crazy. You have to have the sway bar on

12. Aug 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    A set of 5100's with the fronts set at 1.75"- that is all you need- it will level out the truck, offer a nice ride, align just fine, and you typically will not have any "lift issues" with this set up. Done :cool:

13. Aug 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Chance90

Chance90 [OP] Member

Member:
    Delmarva
    Vehicle:
    Ah... I took the sway bar off of my Nissan Titan when I added some lift. I kinda liked it a little more. I won't be removing my sway bar on this truck.

Thanks for the input. This is how I feel.

14. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    Chance90

Chance90 [OP] Member

Member:
    Delmarva
    Vehicle:
    Bumpity.

Just discovered the cost of my education this semester... Spacers are starting to seem the way to go, only if they are aluminum of course. Is there any real difference in the ride with spacers equipped of different compositions? Also, I know I could Google this, but is there a real difference in the Sport and Off-road tuned shocks that is noticeable? I'll put the link/information in the first post if someone puts it down. Thanks!

15. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    There is no difference that i know of in the suspension of trd off road and sport. Make sure u get top plate spacers. and there is no difference in spacers. Rubber are better at absorbing road noise.

16. Aug 6, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    The springs are different.

17. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I say just get billies because of what you use the truck for. If you were going to do offroading then I'd say Icon (I have them and LOVE them) but for your needs 5100's are plenty.

18. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    if price is a issue, get the 5100's, only 300 bucks from DSM

19. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    Chance90

Chance90 [OP] Member

Member:
    Delmarva
    Vehicle:
    Rubber I presumed to be better, but I'm looking for something that will not corrode as easily, thus my aluminum choice. I remember reading the Lift Sticky and saw that the top plate spacer was definitely the correct choice, thanks for reconfirming it.

I thought only the valving was different. Now to get a set of slightly used TRD Sport Coil-overs, I could get the spacers on and swap them out. Thanks for the info.

I was thinking the same.

I don't wish to put money into the spring compression procedure due to the fact that I don't have enough time to perform the work myself, let alone educate myself on how to execute the procedure. Exactly my reason for getting some take-off Sport Coil-overs for spacers.

I knew somehow I was going to contradict myself within this thread.

Products Discussed in

To Top