1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off roading Fun

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TAC1, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Aug 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,

I know this isn't hardcore (it's only 2WD) but my 2 boys, wife & myself had a blast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOiRc3w6W8
    This was my 1st time off roading with my 2WD 4.0 Tacoma so I was very cautious. I did end up going through the trail that I mentioned in the video as "too risky" after I recorded this. It wasn't that bad. My truck did just fine for what it is & for my amateur skills. LOL!
    The point here is that my 2 boys & I had a blast! My wife had fun too except for the fact that she gets car sick. This isn't just a smooth, muddy surface. In most areas it has small boulders & rutts underneath the mud so you literally drive 5 mph & you are bouncing in the truck. The sidewalls of my tires have scuff marks due to these rocks that are under the mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDN52zLY80w
    Here I am leaving the wooded area. When I drive out I fishtailed to the right then to the left (on purpose) & my wife thought that I was going to hit the rocks! LOL! We had fun! Once we drove home & my wife was feeling less nauseous she said it was fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H62TXOmRZe4
    Here I am with my youngest son & my wife. I folowed the trucks since I am not too familiar with the area. If they weren't there I would have walked it. I won't take a chance & one of the guys out there told me that there is a lake to the left of this so you have to be careful. There is mud in the other surrounding areas but I had fun with this & cleaning mud off of a truck is a P.I.T.A.! As it is it took a while to get it cleaned the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvBAK71A6NY
    This is just showing the entrance to the flooded area that I drove through in the previous video. Its fun but this has me looking to buy an ATV soon. I don't want to break my reliable daily driver.

I don't know why the videos look a little shaky. It's my 1st time posting vids.
    ENJOY!

2. Aug 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    So in your last video at the very beginning, you're going over that bump. Your had one back tire in the air while still going uphill. Do you remember if your locker on during that, or LSD was kicking in?

Interesting to see the videos and what prerunners can do. Thanks!

3. Aug 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Looks fun!! Glad you had a blast! Your wife is hilarious!! LOL

4. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I noticed the same thing when I uploaded the vids. I WISH I had a Locker or LSD but I don't have either. From what I've read on this forum and I've learned from my little bit of off-road experience I can say this: Momentum is your friend. I have considered having a locker or LSD installed but when I consider the cost & the fact that my truck is trouble free I don't want to mess with my open diff.

I've driven through places where other off-roaders have told me that only 4WD's can go through and I've made it through just fine. For the minor off-roading that I do I am happy with what I have. I have a 1.5 AAL installed already and Billies on the way which I will set the front at .85. Tires help tremendously and tapping your gas pedal while going through mud slowly, helps also.

Now, if in the future I ever have an issue with the rear end of the truck and it has to get worked on, then I'll go ahead and add a Detroit LSD or something to that effect but I can honestly say that I have not felt a need for it.

5. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thanks babytruck. She is!

6. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Videos look great man! Looks like you guys had a blast with your new toy! It's dam addicting. Your wife sounded so nervous haha! Eventually she will get used to it, and won't panic during everything you do. On the topic of a locker...if you have a grand, seriously invest in a good rear ARB locker. Being an open diff 2wd sucks ass, and being able to lock the rear end will help out A LOT and can save you from getting stuck in the stupidest situations. If you haven't felt a need for a locker yet, you will. The places that the guys said 4wd only...don't think you can make it through all of them with an open diff 2wd. Eventually you will look for slightly harder and harder stuff, and that one wheel drive is going to be frustrating.

:mudding:

7. Aug 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    :thumbsup: and +1 for family off roading fun! Thanks for sharing.

8. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thank you IDtrucks & DEEVON911,
    IDtrucks, you could be right.
    It IS addicting!
    If I feel the need for the Locker eventually then I'll probably do it.
    You make valid points.

THANKS!!!

9. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    BTW, is the Detroit True Trac LSD good for my use?

10. Aug 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    The problem with the auto lockers (despite them being significantly cheaper) is that they are not a true locker, and may not perform up to the same level as a full select able locker, and they suck ass on road. They can lock up on road (which is very bad) and cause problems. A true select able locker is your best bet and you will be more satisfied with it in the long run.

11. Aug 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Hurtin Albertan

Hurtin Albertan Free Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Duck
    on the road less traveled
    Vehicle:
    The mud hides the tree scrapes in the paint
    Huskyliner floor mats
    X2 for the ARB locker :D You sure looked like you were having fun, thanks for sharing that smile.

12. Aug 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thank you all for your comments & info so far!
    I very much appreciate it!

13. Aug 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i've heard good and bad about running a true-trac. these guys thought you were talking a "lunchbox" locker, but its not, its an lsd, as he said.

the good: awesome limited slip action, almost to the point of completely being locked. which means good on and off-road manners. no friction material to wear out and fail. which also means you dont need a limited slip additive to your diff oil. (dont quote me on that one). i had a friend who ran a true trac in the front, and his front tires would work together on some tough obstacles, but remain driveable without "pushing" too bad through turns.

the bad: i heard of cases in which certain bolts inside the unit would back out, get caught on stuff, and dominate a differential. not to mention the unit itself, and they ARE expensive.

i also heard that this problem has since been solved and no longer affects people.

sorry i dont have any real-world experience, but theres my input. bottom line being that if i had the money, i would have at least one of these in my truck. i think its a very cool design that offers up a slight advantage to a locker, but i think of it best in the front end of a 4x4 vehicle

Products Discussed in

To Top