1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help cleaning buildup off window

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by ScreamingTaco, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco [OP] Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    Up until recently the only window product I've used is Stoner's Invisible Glass. I've posted some pictures below. These windows are on a new Tacoma with less than 1500 miles on it.

I tried switching to Windex Auto to see if it would cut whatever it is that's on them and it made no difference.

It was recommended that I try using vinegar and it also made no difference.

I've included some photos. The residue you see is on the outside of the window. These windows are freshly cleaned. They feel gritty to the touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last photo is after I wiped down the inside of the windows. There's an oily film on the inside that streaks horribly and makes it near impossible to see if the windows fog. The streaks you see are in a different pattern from how I wiped the window. I haven't been able to remove this film. I'm not sure if it's related to the problems on the outside of the window.

[​IMG]

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    the stuff on the outside is from the acid rain. I have had good luck using compound on my windows..The inside..ehh, looks like dried wax. Are you using different microfibers to clean the truck/windows?

3. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    ScreamingTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    So polish it off?

The farmers have been doing a lot of spraying this summer (crop dusting), and I've had a few airplanes fly over and beside me while driving into town. I was kind of wondering if they were the source of my woes.

I do, but no guaranty that the dealership did.

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    Boltsfaninmo

Boltsfaninmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    You could try to claybar the glass.

5. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    Streetsurfz727

Streetsurfz727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had the exact same problem, Regular glass cleaning products wouldn't do squat. Use this stuff its about $7autozone. Goes on easy just rub it in with steady pressure with a clean t-shirt or rag Works AMAZING!! My windows look factory new now. Mothers products are the best hands down.

[​IMG]

6. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Streetsurfz727

Streetsurfz727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh yeah and don't ever use windex on your windows especially if you have them tinted the ammonia will mess it all up.

7. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    to get the streaks on the inside off, use a dry, clean towel and some elbow grease. I have found, for these stubborn streaks, it is best to use a worn out towel, not a brand new super soft one. The light abrasion of the old towel should cut through and remove the streaks. Caution though, don't use this old towel on tinted windows.

8. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    When I bought my last Tacoma, it had sat outside and been sprayed with sprinklers every night. It had terrible water spots on all the glass. I tried everything and finally found this on the internet. It did wonders and the glass looked like new afterwards. Some of the worst spots I had to put some of this on a buffer pad and work it in. My local NAPA carried it.

[​IMG]

9. Aug 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    ScreamingTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    I tried a clay bar and it did nothing that I could see.

Followed it up with an application of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It's a cleaner/polish that's meant to remove old wax and other contamination off paint prior to waxing. It's particulate starts off aggressive and breaks down into a polish as you work it. Along with cleaning the paint it's good for removing scratches and swirl marks out of clear coat. The dude's at Meg's said it'd be fine to use on windows so I gave it a try.

Whatever was on there was on there good. Two rounds of Ultimate Compound removed about 90% of it. It's too bright out right now to be able to easily see the stuff that remains so I'll finish the job later when the light it better.

I also did a single application on the inside of the windshield and it cut through the waxy/oily residue. It finally squeaks it's so clean. :)

Windex Auto is ammonia free.

10. Aug 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I would never wax or compound a windshield. Compound will scratch it and wax will fill the imperfections in the glass and haze over time.

For water spots caused by just about anything here is what the pro's use that's still affordable for the public and obtainable.

[​IMG]
    http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...380&History=39324:4308:4323:4333&ModelID=4380

or

[​IMG]
    http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...20728&History=19748:19776:20626&ModelID=20728

Whatever you do be sure and seal the windshield when you are done or it will keep happening.

this is great stuff that can last years
    [​IMG]

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...84&History=39324:4308:4323:4333&ModelID=4384#

11. Aug 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    TRD center cap, quick bed mat, Gatekeeper, WTs, TRD skid plate from bpfab, plastidip emblems, security slider bar, interior LEDs, AFE Pro Dry air filter
    Personally have good luck with Klasse cleaner/polish. I use 1x/year for waxing and use as needed for windows,etc.

12. Aug 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    LDurchy

LDurchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    I seem to recall a dealer telling me that the film inside is from evaporation of the vinyl & plastic of interior parts. Especially new cars are prone to this.

13. Aug 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Nice so everyone's lungs are also coated with it. Cool. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top