1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering/braking noise/vibration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trdchic, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Aug 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    trdchic

trdchic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    07, TRD Sport, 4x4, SR5, V6, Access Cab
    I have two issues...

1. The brakes vibrate like a SOB...some of the time. I think it is "warped" rotors so I'm going to swap them out with OEM parts but it has happened with the previous owner so I am not sure what to think...

2. There is an odd noise when turning. It sounds similar to the ABS check the truck does when it hits a certain speed, sort of a hydraulic noise. However, I could be mistaken. I was changing the oil yesterday an noticed the boot (?) coming from the driver side wheel into...? I am not sure what it is called but it is only on that side of the truck...something to do with steering? Anyway...this boot is wet, not actively dripping but something is going on inside of it.

Any thoughts?? Its the boot seen in the picture...but the stock version. I just found this image online!

[​IMG]

2. Aug 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    you mean the power steering rack boot?

3. Aug 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    If that is what it's called... I had it identified in my repair manual but I don't have that in fromt of me right now...

I've been watching the power steering fluid level and it hasn't changed and there really is no drip for me to look at to help identify the fluid that's leaking...

I really don't want to take it to the dealer and tell them it looks funny and sounds funny...

4. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    blakes09

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    yeah i know what you mean.the power steering rack boot is only there to keep out dirt..so if theres any fluid coming out of the boot itself,the power steering rack is leaking through the end seal.

5. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    what I don't understand is if it is leaking, why has my fluid level not dropped? I know it's a slow leak but...

Have you ever removed that boot? I want to look at what it covers but I dont know the level of complexity. The manual says there are parts that need to be replaced if you remove the boot so I understand that much but I don't know if it is worth it, if I would even be able to see anything.

6. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    blakes09

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    yes i have rebuilt a few Power steering racks.taking the boot off isnt going to show you much,the seal is up inside the rack.only way to fix it is to take the rack out and replace all the internal seals.

7. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    but with the noise, it makes me think it is more than a seal issue...

unless the noise could be something else.

is there a way to check bearings or anything else? lift it off the ground and jerk the wheel back and forth??

8. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    blakes09

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    you might could duplicate the noise by moving things around,but it might take the load of the truck to make it do it..is there anyway you could make a video of the noise

9. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    I could try...but I would think the road noise would interfere.

I'll try it this evening!

10. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    blakes09

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    so let me ask you this..does it do it sitting still or does it have to be rolling?

11. Aug 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    blakes09

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
  12. Aug 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    OK, I went and drove it around

More common when the truck is cold, in fwd AND reverse, left AND right hand turns, have to be moving, slower speeds

Sounds nothing like the video clip, sounds/feels more like when you strain the power steering pump, more like a hydraulic sound

13. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    blakes09

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    so it doesnt do it at all sitting still turning the steering wheel left and right...it has to be moving?..does the noise get faster with the speed of the truck?http://youtu.be/DJXja7fEMmM

14. Aug 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    Nothing when still, that I have noticed. No change with speed. Does not sound like that noise either, sounds less clicky, less mechanical.

I may have to take it in...:(

15. Oct 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    panthro

panthro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    2017 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I've been reading these forums since I had my 09 but never registered until now. I started having the similar play in the steering about 4k miles on my 2012. It's become progressively worse and now at 7700 I finally got the shop to make an appointment to take a look at the steering rack. I was at the stealership today for a good 2 hours test driving it with the shop forman trying to duplicate the issue. Not until we parked the car turned it off and moved the steering wheel with the windows rolled down was I able to have him hear the clunk/ popping sound when turning the wheel back and forth. The noise does compliment the play I've been experiencing. Oh yeah even at 7700 miles it still hasn't even been off road yet sad to say. I suspect some other kind of defect causing this issue possibly bushings in the steering rack? Just keep in mind to have the truck turned completly off, in park and if you can try and park the truck half on and off a 1" elevation. A 2x4 might work since the front wheels of my truck were in the parking space half on/off where the cement curb meets the asphalt(about 1-2 inches in elevation change ). At first they tried to tell me it was the indermediate shaft and I had to wait till a Tsb came out for my year. My appointment is for Monday so I'll reply back what try find when I get it back. The clunk sound in the warped brake rotor video is what my clunk sounds like when it makes the noise.

16. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    panthro

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    2017 TRD Off Road 4x4
    So I got a 2012 Toyota corolla as a rental while the shop inspected my 2012 DC with 7800miles on it. It did the same thing! Only it was much worse than my DC. I could barely keep it straight on the road and was thinking wow is this what I have to look forward to if it's not fixed? In the end the shop has ordered a new rack. Its on back order for two weeks.

17. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    panthro

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    2017 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Stealership replaced my steering rack with only 8k miles. The problem started at 4k. I took it in every 1k when it started. I finally called corporate logged a case and when the repair shop called to see how my repair went I let the person know. The shake, wandering and clunk noise is gone finally. We'll see how long it lasts. The funny thing is now that the rack is fixed I can feel the play in the intermediate shaft I read so much about.

Products Discussed in

To Top