1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on buying a first genTundra?

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by bash42, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    bash42

bash42 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    Hey everyone i just recently purchased a 2012 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 4x4 auto. I potentially have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 Tundra, here are the specs -

-2004 Tundra V8
    -Double cab
    -Limited edition
    -towing package
    -moonroof, power slide down rear window
    -4x4
    -1 Owner with no accidents
    - Dealer serviced since day one
    -garage kept
    - detailed at dealer once or twice per year
    -fresh inspection but ready for a new set of tires.

Anyways, i can probably pick this up for $11k. If i do this, i would sell my tacoma and have no payments. What are your thoughts?

2. Aug 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    bash42

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    No thoughts anyone?

3. Aug 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Gieser

Gieser Official Flatlander

Member:
    MB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 tundra yamaha edition
    scion Head Unit and magnaflow muffler...so far
    sounds like a good truck and price. i paid 18k for my 05 db cab with about the same miles. but im in canada = way more expensive

4. Aug 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Depends if you want no payments or not.

I love 1gen Tundras and Mae close to owning 2 of them over the years... But I do love the 2gen Tacoma more.

5. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Hossdawson

Hossdawson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hoss
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Sport MGM
    I had a 2006 with 40000 miles on it. Limited - loaded with leather and factory navigation. I got 22000 for it on a trade in in 2011. I wish I still had it!

6. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    bash42

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea I think it's a pretty good deal, just worried about some of the normal things that might go wrong with it. Any known issues I should look out for?

7. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    p05x

p05x Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    mass
    Vehicle:
    05 xrunner
    Not enough yet.....
    My father had a 2000 tundra with over 250k on it when he traded it in, it never gave him an issues, just keep up on your oil changes. Not sure if the 04 has a timing belt just make sure u change it now if it hasn't been done already.

8. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    '04 already have the brake recall parts from the factory.
    '04 will need the ball joint recall... make sure that's been done.

Awesome truck, only drawback to the 4.7 is it does use a timing belt, it's a 90k service item, and it is an interference engine... don't skip it, just do the belt and water pump at the same time. If the belt goes, the block is a boat anchor.
    Water pump will be fine at 90k, but it's not wise to gamble that it'll make it to 180k, and the belt has to come off to change the pump.

I wish I still had my '03.

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    bash42

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:

i talked to the owner and the belt has not been done yet. The dealer (large, local, high priced and very reputable) said that he could wait for a little while to get it done, i guess they inspected the belt and said it was in great shape since he always kept it in the garage (away from alot of the elements).

Any idea what this might cost?

10. Aug 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I did my '03 for around $350 in parts and an afternoon. Dealers are typically $700-$1000, so get a few quotes and make sure they include a new water pump and tensioner.

It doesn't make sense that the dealer would "inspect" the belt... I think they're blowing smoke up your ass.
    By the time you can SEE the belt, it's only another 5 minutes to actually change it.
    And a visual inspection of the belt doesn't mean squat. I've replaced 6 "broken" belts in my life on various engines and not one of them "looked bad" other than the 6 missing teeth that were under the crank pulley.

This is my non-VVTi 2003:

[​IMG]

Serpentine belt, intake duct, radiator, and radiator hoses removed.

[​IMG]

Alternator swung out of the way and "jigsaw puzzle" of the 3-piece cover assembly removed, camshaft position sensor unplugged. The belt tensioner is just under the smooth idler pulley near the alternator. The trans cooler hard line is pointing right at it.

At this point, removing the belt is a matter of manually turning the engine so the marks on the belts are as shown, unbolting the tensioner, and slipping the belt off once the tensioner is free.
    If the water pump is not being replaced, at this point, you're literally 15 minutes away from starting to button it back up.

[​IMG]

Belt, water pump, tensioner, and thermostat housing removed.
    If reusing the old tensioner, press it down again a wooden block to compress it and slip an allen key through the alignment holes to keep it down. Once reinstalled, pull the key and it will re-tension the belt.

11. Aug 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    bash42

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    Just took another look at the truck and the water pump and belt were done at 86k. Great news!

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That's awesome... it's set to 180k now.

Just change the oil and don't overheat it. You'll absolutely love it.

For mods, including wiring mods, keep in mind that the '04 Doublecab is more Sequoia than it is Tundra. The headlights, corners, and grille are the same as the Sequoia, as is the wiring harness for the front half of the truck.
    The hood line is about 1" higher than the RC/AC Tundra.

13. Aug 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I considered a Tundra also before I bought my Tacoma. The timing belt was my only negative that I found on the Tundra. I've heard lots of good things otherwise. If it's at a dealer, don't take it home until that belt gets changed. They are on a time or mileage interval, and the time is likely overdue by a year or two at this point. Take that seriously and I think the rest of it will be okay.

14. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I traded my 2000 Tundra in for my Tacoma. It was a great truck. I could haul any size load and it wouldn't flinch. Did all the work on it including the timing belt, piece of cake. I have an extra Dayco timing belt that rockauto accidently sent, you can have it.

15. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    buzzard1992

buzzard1992 Yep

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd trd, 255/85/16 km2s
    5100's with eibachs. And 255/85/16 km2s
    My dads got 2006 v8 4x4 tundra. I love that truck and the room it has. Makes my tacoma look tiny. Hes got like 145 on his and it runs great. You'll love it

16. Nov 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Just in case anyone's reading this looking for a Tundra, I just saw one on the side of the road with a failed lower ball joint.

As noted earlier in this thread, there was a recall. This is the second failure that I have seen with my own eyes. Take that recall seriously!:eek:

17. Nov 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    +1 on that.
    First I heard of it was in early 2005 on Tundrasolutions.
    Member posted photos. Fortunately, it did not cause an accident, but he had a fair amount of body damage from the tire/wheel/hub/spindle jamming up into the fender (not to mention suspension damage).

I got my recall notice shortly after I traded in my '03.
    The recall seemed to indicate that the pin on the lower ball joint was being damaged during installation.

To Top