1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dull truck

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TRDsport253, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Aug 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM
    OhYeah

OhYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB
    Do you guys all have a TRD Off Road? I think the fenders and front bumper are intentionally painted "dull"...

2. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    For the most part he is imparting some good information to viewers who do not understanding polishing. But he blows the dangers of using a Flex 3401 out of proportion as it's a pretty stinking safe machine to use. Someone would have to have gross neglect to ruin paint with one. He also underrates the dangers of a porter cable. You edge it out or run it like he did on the hood on an edge and I guarantee you will ruin your paint.

Something else that bothers me is his suggesting that a porter cable does not remove paint and saying the flex and makita do. There are 2 ways to improve the looks of scratches. You can fill them(think glaze) or you can level the clearcoat and remove them. Using m85 or m105/ect and a yellow pad will correct paint, not fill it. Where there is no need to be scared you will remove all the clear using a porter cable, it does remove paint. It just removes a very small amount. The exact same thing can be said of a rotary or a flex DA. Him saying that there is no blue paint on the pad indicating that it did not remove paint is outright inaccurate as "paint" includes clear coat, which as the name indicates, is clear.

Bottom line, a porter cable random orbital is a safe tool to learn with as long as a novice takes it easy. But it is possible to ruin paint with one too. It's not like someone can shut their brain off when using one. I use a lot of caution every time I pick up a porter cable random orbital polisher and I use all 3 of those tools a lot.

*oh yeah...
    built-in clutch on a porter cable? No. The fact that the wheel spins freely is what makes the pc safer than the others. And the flex machine is a random orbital polisher, the flex is a mechanical dual action.

And the most aggressive pad known across the detailing industry is a wool pad, not yellow foam.

3. Aug 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Use some M105 with a DA on a medium aggressive pad

4. Aug 21, 2012 at 4:18 AM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty
    My old taco was super white. I heard Toyota does not put a clear coat on the white ones... I hated keeping it shiny it never was after the first year or so. That's why my 10' is SSM! I'd actually use a mr clean magic eraser on my bumper and flares to get them white again.

5. Aug 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    jeebee808

jeebee808 Member

Member:
    I use menzerna polishes, and euroshine pads on a flex 3401 using a meguiar's DA polisher you don't really have to worry about burning through your paint as you really need to try to do any damage with a DA. Also make sure when you polish you move slow, i think like an inch a second.

6. May 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    As one of the other members mentioned, the Super White is single stage. Does anyone here have a 4 or 5 year old Super White that still has that showroom shine? I would think if you keep up on regular waxings etc it would hold up.

7. Jun 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    4x4cajun

4x4cajun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Limited 4x4
    CHEVERLY my service dog! Lol
    I know this guy and have communicated many times with him on detailing. He knows his stuff! I changed a lot about how I clean my cars after speaking with him. email him, he usually responds...great guy.

8. Aug 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    4x4cajun

4x4cajun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Limited 4x4
    CHEVERLY my service dog! Lol
    I've used most of the products from Griots garage and works awesome! This guy in the video knows his stuff. I've talked to him on several diff forums.

9. Sep 24, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    Naholo808

Naholo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    9th Island (Las Vegas)
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Off-Road
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Off-Road 3inch lift 33s Ko2s Matte black SCS SR8 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 2wd - Traded In.
  10. Sep 24, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I know when I bought my Porter Cable DA it was the exact same polisher. It was confirmed by the guys at Meguires, it was just a different color.

I don't know if it still is though.

11. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Sgt Jmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    3" Revtech, Undercover flex.
    Meg's is not as good as it used to be. I'd look for Mothers professional line.

check out ammonyc.com , he has a lot of useful info. google or youtube will get you a ton of info since I'm too tired to type right now.

12. Sep 24, 2014 at 11:00 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    Single stage? All Toyota Tacoma's have 2 stage paint.

single stage paint:
    consists of two coats of colored paint and does not have a clear-coat applied. Used primarily on older vehicles and still used on occasion on newer vehicles.

2-Stage Paint is what new cars painted since the late 1980s. They have a base coat with the color applied before a layers of clear coat are added to protect the color and give you a long lasting finish for years of service. It is, of course, applied in layers with several dry times and is labor intensive.

Single Stage has the gloss and the color mixed together and applied to the car as a unit. This is the way all cars were painted until the 1980s. If you have a classic car looking for that classic look, it really is a must-have. It is a hard and lasting finish that looks great with a smaller price tag.

13. Sep 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Guess again. Super White is single stage.

14. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    I stand corrected.

15. Oct 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    Sheepshead45

Sheepshead45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I have super white, 5 years old and in perfect condition.

It's never been run through a car wash, ever. That's probably most important thing, as just 1 run-through will cover your vehicle completely with micro-scratches. Of course it just gets worse & worse the more frequently you do this.

Better to just never clean your vehicle than run it though a car wash.

Within a few days of buying my truck new, I washed, clay barred and waxed. The overspray from the paint process will actually make your brand new paint feel rough to the touch. Clay bar will make it perfectly smooth, and will make waxing far easier.

Since then I hand wash & wax every few months, clay bar again every year or 2 depending. Once you get familiar with claying, you can tell if it needs it just by running your finger over a clean painted surface. If it feels just a bit rough, hit it with the clay bar again before waxing. Despite what I've seen a few people here say, you will absolutely not scratch your paint with a clay bar - unless it has sand or grit on it. If it falls to the ground, throw it in the trash.

If you do all this from new your paint will last many years looking better than new (remember the new-car overspray thing).

To the OP, sounds like you need a much more involved paint correction process than this. Generally, that involves trial & error to get the right compound abrasion level and pads for your level of damage, then polishing, final cleaning, then protective coat (sealer or wax). You need the right tools and knowledge (forget doing it by hand). Either hire a pro to do it, or research the job and buy the equipment and products to DIY.

Stay far away from internet forums like this one for good info. There's some good stuff here, but there is also a ton of incredibly bad info that will at best waste your time & money, and at worst damage your car beyond repair short of re-paining. Try a dedicated place like detailersdomain.com, and read up. They have lot's of good examples of cars that have been professionally detailed, with correct steps, products, pictures, etc.

16. Oct 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

My 08' is horrible. Granted I have never waxed the entire truck and it routinely gets driven down 4' wide trails that scratch the crap out of it, but the roof and hood have started to grow mold/fungi the paint is so poor.

Think my clear coat was scratched away on year 2 of ownership.

I now call my trucks color "matte white"

Products Discussed in

To Top