1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car seat suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoDawgfan, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Aug 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I am looking to buy a convertible car seat to fit in my Tacoma. Already have one in the wife's car but need to have one in my truck for ease of use so we're not constantly swapping it back and forth.

So anyway I thought it might be a good idea to put a thread up to get suggestions of any that were known to fit and work well in the Tacoma DC's. Or maybe one's to stay away from? Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    We have one that has been around forever, 8 + years....it is made made by Century !!!

All 3 grandchildren have used it ( youngest still does ;) ) and it has been trouble free,besides the usual cleaning it has been in every vehicle we travel in....

The ONLY problem we have had is in the Ford F-150 Xtra cab,the back pad for that seat leans foward and on a VERY LONG trip to Florida I had to Shim the bottom up to prevent Jaidyn from plopping foward against the straps when napping....;)

Now this is NOT a true convertible as it ALL pulls out instead of leaving a base BUT the straps adjust down to infant and up to the 60 lbs....

3. Aug 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
  4. Aug 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    8 years, I'm sure they don't sell that one anymore except maybe if there is a new version of it?

On this one, the one in the wife's car is a travel system (Graco). It's great but only for up to 35 lbs. We can buy the extra base for it to snap into both vehicles that way but the base is $50. I figure we'll be buying 2 new car seats eventually so why not go ahead with a convertible for my truck. The ones we're looking at still work for infants and go up to 60-65 lbs and some of them are even booster seats for up to 100lbs. So I'm looking for one of these in stead of buying the base now and then buying 2 more seats later.

5. Aug 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    Not to threadjack, OP, as my little one is now in a booster seat and i forget the brand name of her original carseat, but i was compelled to mention that regardless of which one you choose, i highly recommend the prince lionheart carseat protector. It simply fits under virtually any carseat and really does provide extra protection for the tacomas seats against...........well, you can imagine. perhaps you already have one? either way, hope this helps :D
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000083GHY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

6. Aug 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    Onion27

Onion27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Dbl Cab PreRunner
    We have one by SafetyFirst. Got them at Costco.

7. Aug 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I've already bought one of those. It's a different brand though.

8. Aug 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Yes ,CENTURY is one of the top brands....

They are Always updating BUT to last this long I give it 2 thumbs up.... :thumbsup::thumbsup:....

We purchased 2 at the time,one for the parents and the other for grandparents ;)....

Very smart to plan ahead....you "Blink" and they will be in booster seats...
    We have 2 of these ,both Gracos and these have been problem free also,plus clean up quickly with the garden hose :washing:...somehow the older they get,the more interesting the mess's can get....Scotchgard and Weathertech are an interiors friend...

Good luck with your search and ENJOY those kids.....I warned you ...BLINK and they are grown up...mine are 26 & 24 :cool:

9. Aug 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well I went ahead and purchase an Evenflow. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck. It's convertible and can even be used as a booster later.

My question is why cant we put the seat in the middle? According to the manual for rear facing it has to go on one side or the other. I see the anchors are in place for the sides. Looks as if you could use the 2 inner ones for the middle but they would be farther apart. The center is the safest place. :(

Only downside is this thing is huge. Put is on the passenger side because the front seat would have to move up too far for me to be comfortable and the wife is short enough to sit comfortable in the passenger front. It shouldn't be as bad when turned forward though, I don't think. I'll have to try it to see.

10. Aug 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top