1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Well Side Toolbox

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Vrbas, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Aug 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    Vrbas

Vrbas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    So I'm trying to do some research on a side mounted wheel well toolbox. I'm not interested in a full size toolbox up at the front of the bed so I'd prefer it if you didn't suggest any :eek:

Anyways, here are a few I've come across and I have a few questions regarding them:

1. Does anyone have experience with any of these? If so, detail.
    2. Will they cooperate w/ my rail system?
    3. Will I have to drill? (Probably, I just want to be able to take it off quickly if I need to)
    4. Can anyone suggest any particular ones?

Dee Zee
    Titan
    VDP

2. Aug 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    bluefish

bluefish overkill is underrated

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    i went with the 'lite' option and did an undercover swingcase... Not heavy duty and certainly not very secure if somebody wanted to bust it open, so if those are important factors then forget it.

But, on the positive side, it is removable, light weight, inconspicuous and has been really convenient for my needs. I am in and out of mine a few times a day and it works great for holding a bunch of small crap like hand tools and tie downs.

It uses the existing bolts from the side pockets in addition to drilling a few self tapping screws into the metal at the end of the bed by the tailgate. It doesn't interfere with the bed rails at all, but it will prohibit opening the swingcase when one of the factory cleats is slid into position directly above it.

here's a recent TW thread with some pics http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/general-automotive/37815-undercover-swing-case.html

3. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Bump, thanks for the input.

I like the size of the ones I've listed but am afraid they won't work w/ the rail system. I may have to check out the undercover though

4. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Sub'd. I'm looking for something like this too.

5. Aug 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    A few questions for you then!

1. Can you reverse the lid so that I can access it from the side of the truck as opposed to having to get in the bed or swing it out?

2. How is the seal/how waterproof is it? I don't have a cover and if I have to modify it I will, but how is the factory seal?

3. Will the swing out support the weight of a full toolbox? I won't be filling it up, but I would like to know it's threshold.

4. I'm guessing this wouldn't fit on the other side of the wheel well (closest to the cab) would it?

Thanks for the help!

6. Aug 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    bluefish

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    The lid isn't designed to be reversible, but it could be done if you had the urge. I can easily access it from the side (I'm 5'11) while standing so my guess is you wouldn't feel the need.

100% waterproof

The hinge will swing out no problem, but my loaded toolbox has caused some sag in the hinge assembly so that I have to give it a little help with my free hand to release it from the catch. Not a big deal but an example of it not being heavy duty equipment

It wouldn't fit up towards the cab

7. Aug 28, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Do you happen to have the part number for the Tacoma? If i did get one it'd be off Amazon cause I have a $50 gift certificate and this guy is a bit pricey compared to others. I'm browsing the web to see if I can't find the exact model but I figure i'd ask you as well.

Mine is a 2011 Access Cab w/ just the regular length bed.

8. Aug 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    bluefish

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    I just typed your truck info into the thingy on autoanything and it came up SC401P for passenger side and SC401D for driver... FYI the toolbox is the same on all trucks it's the hinge assembly thats slightly different to fit into different beds

EDIT: BE CAREFUL! i just looked at Amazon and when you plug in the tacoma truck info it is listing SC400D (or P), which is the part number for TUNDRA according to autoanything. I bought mine from autoanything and it fits so I'd trust them.... and they will pricematch the best price you find online if you didn't know that.

9. Aug 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
  10. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    bluefish

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    DOOOO EEEET :D

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I deed it! I'll have pics up soon.

I was a dummy when installing and actually used drillbits on my truck instead of the self tapping screws. Ended up having to drill new holes in the bracket and then use the screws how I should have in the first place. But its all good now!

We've been getting plenty of the leftover hurricane rain here in Memphis and so far no leaking in the box :D

To Top