1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota IPOD adapter works in my 2012 Reg Cab, w/factory HU.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Greenbean, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean [OP] B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Just wanted to shed some light on something some folks may want to use,

I don't really want to replace my factory HU just yet, I like the 2012 with the black trim and such and don't mind the factory HU because I have a RC,

So I scored this unit from a kind user in the for sale forums here,
    And found the instructions online, PT545-00082
    [​IMG]

Turns out the 2012 comes apart in a different way then the previous model years, I was trying to get the vents out and such and low and behold a plastic tool near the corners of the HVAC and then 4 10mm bolts and your done, I plugged the unit in and just ran the cable under my shifter trim because stupid me figured I would have to fine tune and control certain things myself, LOL... Jokes on me, I was used to using the 3.5mm plug and keeping my IPOD near my seat and such, I honeslty like it locked away in the glove box and for real, I swear the audio sounds a lot more clearer and better then when using the headphone jack!
    [​IMG]

Turns out when your IPOD is plugged into an official IPOD accessory it locks down the audio or music segment, I had no control so well once I saw this back to the web I went and found a PDF from an FJ forum that had the operating instructions in it, Bingo,

You use the 1-6 station controls and such for selecting the options, and then "Enter" is 6, you can jump right to playlists by pressing "1" and the right side control know lists by number so dial in the number and wait just a second and the playlist is displayed. Honestly I was very impressed... For real...

[​IMG]

So long story short, I realy like this interface and the use of my IPOD out of sight and once I get used to which playlists are which number in order It'll be even better,

Thanks again for your support!

:cool:

2. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    swaggerton

swaggerton New Member

Member:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '12 Base Model
    secondary air filter removal,
    Wow. Good find! May need to give this a shot if I can find the part (and if it's a lot cheaper than a new head unit).

3. Aug 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    nice work Zack!
    when i bought my 12 and asked about this kit i was told "we dont have anything for the 12's, this wont work" in the back of my head i figured the HU was probably the same and would work. this is a great kit to stay OE and keep things simple.

my audio upgrade started with "I just need to hook up my ipod properly"... then ends up morphing into an epic project. its great to know this kit does the job.

does the HU show a list of your playlist names and allow you to use the right knob to scroll through them?

4. Aug 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Sure does,

Press "1" and use the rt knob to scroll thru the playlists. Just give it less than a second and the name comes up. I really like it and the fact that my Ipod Touch is out of sight also.

And even though I feel important with over 20 playlists. Truthfully I only listen to maybe 3, lol!!!

You can press "2" and it goes straight to Artists I think and "3" goes to Albums, I have over 18GB of music on here. So I'm only really using the playlists.

5. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    Sly Dvl

Sly Dvl New Guy with an Old Hat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Fergus, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD
    I too just installed an iPod/iPhone in-car kit into my 2006 Tacoma. Works really slick! No more FM transmitter for me.
    The kit I got was a GTA Car Kit: http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_tacoma_2005_2012_car_kit.php
    This particular one has 2 modes. Mode 1 (or CD1) is a Hybrid mode that allows you to control basic iPod functions through the head unit as well as from the iPod.
    Mode 2 (or playlist mode) locks the iPod but gives you more control through the head unit (random, repeat etc.).
    Here's a vid of the install and the kits functions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isG_EechOKY
    I'd recommend it for those of us that have no MP3 input and don't want to change out the entire head unit. :D

6. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Nice,

Very nice!

7. Sep 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Update,

My same adapter DOES NOT work correctly in my 2013,

It will play the music but thinks it's the SAT radio playing through, the controls don't work right either. And the display isn't sure what to tell you, lol...

I used the same plug that was on the back of my 2012 to plug it into,

Going to double check and be sure there isn't another plug on the back before I throw it up in the BST forums,

Products Discussed in

To Top