1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installing uws tool box today, any advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zero niner, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jan 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    zero niner

zero niner [OP] romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Hello,

Just picked up my UWS tool box and I was wondering since I'll have to drill holes in the box to mount it, are there any tips or suggestions that you may have for me? I'd hate to drill an incorrect hole, did you just center the hole on each side? Fish the J hook into the rails on the sides? Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. Jan 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay a couple things. For a more secure fit you could buy two more j bolts. So you would have two j bolts one each side. I noticed if I take off pretty fast that the toolbox would slide back an inch. So get four j bolts drill the holes evenly. (If you get four j bolts this will help a little bit against anyone from stealing your box. But, if someone wants something they will get it.) Make sure before you drill the hole that they will fit under the rails. Use washers and lock nuts. By the way I wouldn't drill the holes in the bottom of the toolbox as it recommends. Just clean out the box by hand with a rag periodically. :wink:

3. Jan 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Got the box, took some measurements, ended up putting the washer flush with the inside edge and drilled 4 holes, 4" from the front and 4" from the back, so that the washer is not touching the inside edge. I ended up making a 3/8" hole in order to fish around the j-hooks. I took a deep socket and hand tightened all 4 nuts, pinching the foam down about halfway. I'll leave it at then check on the bolts in a few weeks. I tried to shake it but it wouldn't budge, I'm confident that the 4 bolts are the most secure way. Plus, it will be that much harder for some desperate crackhead trying to steal the whole thing! Anyways, this UWS box is awesome and I love the blacked out diamond plate! Thanks for the replies guys, it helped!

Rob

4. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    I don't suppose you're in the Seattle area of the PNW are you? If so, who did you buy the UWS from? I'm looking for a local dealer.

5. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    I am in Seattle! You should call Chris at Rack and Road (206-528-8090) it's located at Aurora and 80th, he was awesome to deal with and I've tried online ordering and UPS will trash your box. This box was in perfect condition. Just make sure to call UWS and request another J hook package so you can mount with 4 hooks. I love mine! I'll post pics tomm when it's light out.

Rob

6. Jan 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    Great, thanks!

7. Jan 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey zero niner! Post some pics of your truck with your new box in action.:cool:

8. Aug 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
  9. Jan 31, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    GAtaco

GAtaco Active Member

Member:
    Villa Rica GA/Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MT 4x4 TRD Sport
    OME 887 and Dakars w/ 3rd removed; SPC LR UCAs
    Old thread I know and I'm sorry but did you use this Better Built Toyota box mounting kit on your box? And is it pretty much universal in regards to the brand of truck box?

10. Feb 1, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
    Yes. I did use this hardware, and it works good. As far as universal fit, I can't speak to it working on every box, but I can't really imagine a design that it would not work on. With my UWS box I had to drill my hole as close to the inside edge/corner as I could. (Closest to the area where you would actually put the tools). Also, if i had it to do over I would drill my holes in the box closer to the tailgate, making it easier to hold bottom bracket when threading the bolt down through. It would still be secure because you have to get to bolt head inside box to remove.

11. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    GAtaco

GAtaco Active Member

Member:
    Villa Rica GA/Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MT 4x4 TRD Sport
    OME 887 and Dakars w/ 3rd removed; SPC LR UCAs
    Okay I am also getting a UWS box but I'm reluctant to drill into the bed. Gonna go with the hardware I think. Thank you for the information and I'll keep that in mind when I'm installing.

Products Discussed in

To Top