1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overhead Compass Resistor Gone

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paczowski123, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    Like it states my compas has stopped working. I looked into the console to do the repair and noticed my resistor is totally gone. I looked in the unit aas well as the mount and couldnt find it anywhere. Can these pieces be purchased at like an electronics store or rat shack? If so what are they called exactly and would i just need to solder it back in place?

2. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
  3. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    ive read the thread and understand how to fix, my question was more so whether the 510 resistor is a common part to look for. As in if i go to radio shack or other electronics store and ask for a 510 resistor will tht be what is in there? Are there different sizes, ohm differences etc?

4. Sep 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    K3tsurui

K3tsurui Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Upstate NY
    That is so weird. I read somewhere in this forum that someone else had the same problem, except they actually found their resistor lying inside the unit and just resoldered it. To me, two occurances of this would make it a defect and I would push to have the dealership replace the whole unit.

But if you must then do this:

The part that you are looking for is a surface mount part and will probably not be available in a electronic hardware store. They are relatively inexpensive, but are usually sold in strips and reel for industrial use. I would just get a regular resistor and use a solderless paste to place the part on. If you know how to solder and have the equipment for it, then it would be a better choice. But the traces on the boards are really sensitive if you don't know what you are doing. You could burn or tear the traces making them useless.

The resistor that you need have a green band with two brown bands and a gold or silver band in that order. Like this:
    http://www.upgradeindustries.com/product/30/510-Ohm-Resistor-5-Pack
    That is the right part to use but you could use anything between 400 ohms and 800 ohms. The difference would be a dimmer/brighter display LED.

Here is some soldering glue:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Soldering-Conductive-Wire-Glue-No-Solder-iron-BGA-/370539325776
    You will not need that much but it is only 5 bucks.

Just cut the leads down to size and glue it on the board making sure you get one end of the lead on each trace. Also, be careful not to put too much glue on there and have any of the contacts touching different parts. If I remember correctly, there is alot of room to work with so you should be ok.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
  6. Sep 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia