1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My First Mig Welder is on the Way

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by viperstd, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    viperstd

viperstd [OP] Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    Hey! I'm pretty pumped. I just bought a Miller 211. It is my first MIG welder. I decided on the unit it using the principals of
    1) Buy American when possible
    --There isn't always an option
    -- Sometime it is unjustifiably expensive
    2) Buy the best you can afford
    3) Take care of it and it should last a long time-- and ideally be repairable

I spent the better part of the weekend researching machines and was really torn between a Hobart MIG, The MM211, and an Everlast PowerTig 250 AC/DC unit. I know the Chinese TIG is an odd running mate, but I fundamentally wanted to buy a TIG and on paper you get a TON of machine for less $ than a fairly basic MIG.

I did a lot of internal debating and went with the MIG thinking that if I'm only going to have 1 machine for a while, the MIG was less expensive and well suited for automotive work.

Hopefully I don't end up with buyer's remorse going with a MIG unit. I've done limited gas and TIG work and even less MIG, but I always enjoyed welding... I actually enjoy gas welding the most, but it isn't exactly practical.

I'm rambling because I'm exhausted and stoked.

Now I need to figure out an extension cord I can run to the laundry room for 240V... 8/3 is so f-n expensive!

Cheers!

2. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    Nice man. Im currently in the market for a mig machine myself. Hopefully well see what this estates auction brings next weekend hopefully its not to big or small.

3. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    btw when you plug it in dont hold onto the prongs lmfao it will make your arm tingly

4. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    Congrats! millers are great machines! as for extension cords, check out harbor freight, they have 50 and 100' 10 guage cords for rv's, I have been using a 50' that I have swapped the ends over to a 240v style plug that I have been using with much success. I do plan on eventually going to a 8 guage cord. I have never had the cord get warm even with the machine cranked all the way up and running for 20 min almost consecutively.

I have been been running a thermal arc fabricator 181i, and it has been a great little machine! I haven't used the tig side of it yet, but the mig and arc work great.

5. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    viperstd

viperstd [OP] Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    I'll check out the RV plugs. I'll have to keep an eye out for the cost of 6-50 ends. I'll also need to make a pigtail to convert the 6-50 to my dryer outlets (10-30). Maybe the home store will have what I need...

Good night!

6. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    98cbtacoma

98cbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Boerne, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner white
    Cobra cb and 3' cb antennas, headache rack, bed rails, blacked out logos. Goodyear wrangler tires. Second gen Tailgate badge. Hella 500 series black magic lights and 500 series lights on top, led brake and turn lights on my headache rack. Custom Bumpers i built myself.
    Im a lincoln guy but ive used the millermatic 350p and like the pulse mode... other than that i use lincolns haha

[​IMG]

7. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I wouldn't want to compare mig with tig, but to be honest you will probably end up using a mig more often. Its just easier and faster. Tig welds look awesome but for automotive stuff and home projects, MIG looks good enough and its probably just the easier option. I want to buy a mig welder. I would buy a tig but I suck at it and dont want to take the time to learn it haha

8. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    98cbtacoma

98cbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Boerne, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner white
    Cobra cb and 3' cb antennas, headache rack, bed rails, blacked out logos. Goodyear wrangler tires. Second gen Tailgate badge. Hella 500 series black magic lights and 500 series lights on top, led brake and turn lights on my headache rack. Custom Bumpers i built myself.
    As much as i love mig and have a lincoln 180t mig i use stick welding more on a daily basis, pretty sure im one of the few on here who uses stick on a regular basis haha

9. Sep 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I have the baby 135 and feel the need to get " MORE POWER "
    Need a 220 volt model!!