1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

replacements for my Dueler A/T Revo 2's

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by novataco, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Sep 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    novataco

novataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I was very happy with my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's, and I am looking for an alternative now that my needs have changed and my tires are at the end of their life. I got about 45,000 miles out of them, I think, but I have to check. I am running on a spare, since I got a puncture during Hurricane Isaac, and another has a slow leak, so I need to change them out soon, like end of this week.

The Dueler A/T Revo 2's were perfect for handling Washington DC winters, and relatively smooth higway miles. My fuel economy was worse than with the stock Dunlop Grad Treks, and highway smoothness not quite as good, but it was a happy trade-off for control on snow and pooling water on highways.

However, I live in Louisiana now, and am putting on a lot more highway miles than when I lived in DC, since I have to travel around the state for work often. We have lots of rain here, so my needs, in order are:

1. Highway smoothness and fuel economy
    2. Wet traction in pooling water
    3. Durability
    4. occasionally traction in mud, but definitely 4th in priority

There's so many tires out there, and I think instead of an A/T, my needs call for a higway all weather tire that is smooth on the highway, has excellent wet traction, and quality rubber that will last.

Any suggestions? It seems every tire on tirerack.com gets at least 4 stars, so opinions muddle objectivity. I don't know much about tires, so my fellow Tacoma owner's experience I value. What are people running these days, considering my needs here down south?

Thanks!

edit: I have a 2006 TRD Sport with the 17 inch stock alloy wheels.

2. Sep 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I'm running this right now. Highway performance is as good as stock BFG Rugged Trails, but so much better in the rain and off road.

[​IMG]

3. Sep 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    Another set of Revo's is my next tire...for all of their benefits I'll gladly trade a little mpg...

4. Sep 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I think I am going with an all-weather over all-terrain, due to the fact that I am now logging 25k miles a year, mostly highway, and I would chew up a set of a/t in a couple years.

The Firestone salesman is pushing:

-Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza $1041.24 OTD with a $70.00 Amex gift card
    -Firestone Destination LE 2 $1041.24 OTD with no gift card

Sears is matching tirerack.com price for:

Michelin LTX M/S2 for $1021.46 OTD

Leaning towards the Michelin with Sears since the are highest rated by both tirerack and Consumer Reports.

Sounds good or should I go with one of the Firestone dealer's options? I see no reviews on the Destination LE 2, or Alenza, as they are newer versions of those tires.

5. Sep 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    i have so many friends running nitto terra grapplers and they all love them...ive had 2 sets and under heavy abuse we have all got over 45k miles out of them...amazing in rain and snow...quiet on the highway,decent in mud(not great but will get you to most places) affordable ,look great ....really no complaints.....hankook atms have a very weak sidewall...michelins are a good tire but i feel lack when compared to ride nitto offers..and your othe 2 choices listed i would not choose at all

6. Sep 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Thanks. I checked my invoice and I got 55,000 from my Revo 2's. But given the highway miles I am logging now, I would run through the Nitto's in less than two years. The Michelin's are warrantied for 70K.

7. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    My dad and uncle are firm believers in Michelin for highway driving. Sometimes they have to go off road to get to jobs and haven't had issues.

8. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  9. Sep 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    I'm in the same boat as you(northern california, mostly highway miles, no snow) and the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A are on my short list. I think the MS/2 are probably a better tire, but the BF goodrich are cheaper and look more agresive while still being a highway tire. Just another choice to muddy the situation for you ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top