1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gear oil for r155?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kslice, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Sep 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    Kslice

Kslice [OP] Member

Member:
    Olympia WA
    Vehicle:
    05 regular cab 4x4 5 spd
    Just changed my transmission fluid, manual r155 on 05 tacoma 2.7, used this cheapo stuff from oreilly without putting much thought into it:
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_N2367_1431546_-1&pt=N2367&ppt=C1985
    Now I am reading that most people use synthetic and that GL5 can destroy the brass syncros in the trans.

Shifts and sounds way smoother, what are you guy's thoughts? Is this stuff legit or should I switch it out soon.

2. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm sure you're fine, its a robust transmission.
    Change it out only if it makes you feel better.

Personally, I'm going to order a bunch of this stuff for my transmission and transfer case, but that's only because I didn't just change it all out like you have.

http://ww2.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/

Differentials are going to get this;
    http://ww2.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/

If I were you, I'd leave whats in it there, since its new oil. Whatever you put in it is fresh and new, no doubt better than whatever came out. Change it out to something you prefer next time you change it.

3. Sep 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Gl5 is especially bad in a wet climate. It would probably be fine for a while though. If it were mine and knowing what I do, would dump it. It's a $1500 gear box asking for maybe $30 worth of premium oil. As far as I'm concerned, nothing will ever go back in my truck but Redline lubricants. MT-90 or MTL for the transmission and T-case, and their GL5 75-140 in the diffs. The MT-90 has significantly improved my transmission function, and the diff oil has dropped my operating temps over everything I have tried, including Amsoil Severe Gear.

4. Sep 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're running too high a viscosity in your diffs. That could be responsible for your reduced temperatures, but will also be responsible for an increase in fuel consumption.

5. Sep 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Not using synthetics. They work fine at the 75-140 weight. I didn't notice any added fuel consumption making the switch. When I ran the Amsoil I was also using their 75-140. I should add though that I use that weight because I do a lot of towing in mountainous areas where heat build up is an issue. My truck is also fairly heavy. For a more or less stock truck doing daily driving stuff, the 75-90 would be just fine,... maybe better.

6. Sep 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ah, ok. That makes sense.

7. Sep 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    This little quote from the OP's link would make me pull that shit oil and replace ASAP.
    "Can be used for make-up of Limited Slip/Positive Traction rear axles."

That stuff could potentially eat away at the brass syncro's and could be too slippery for said syncro's.

I used this when I just replaced my W59 with a near new unit.
    http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL24239&S=C
    It shifts like butter. Takes a few minutes to get warmed up on cold mornings but, it was great on my 1200+ mile round trip to the Rubicon.

EDIT: Moral of the story, if ANY gear oil says "LS-1" or "for use with hypoid limited slip differentials" do not use it.

8. Sep 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    The GL5 spec is the correct spec, there is nothing wrong with the O'Reilly's oil, I bought a gallon last week to use in the few mechanical LSD I have in use.

No need for the super premium/overmarketed/overhyped stuff like Red Line, Royal Purple, AMSOIL, just get a good quality product from a known vendor, such as Valvoline (NAPA rebrands Valvoline, but made by Ashland Oil), Castrol (BP), Magic JT (Citgo). In the last 30 years, my gear boxes and diffs have had exceptional life, and usually the life of the vehicle, if purchased new.

Howard

9. Sep 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Kslice

Kslice [OP] Member

Member:
    Olympia WA
    Vehicle:
    05 regular cab 4x4 5 spd
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose I should have done a little more research before buying and changing the gear oil. I will probably end up changing it to redline or amsoil soon depending on what I can find locally. Maybe even just some name brand stuff. I did notice that the service manual calls for gl4 or gl5 and also the writeup on the oreilly stuff i bought states "Suitable for use where the following API service designations apply: GL-2, GL-3, GL-4, and GL-5." This makes me think that I shouldn't worry about syncro corrosion. I get where you are coming from with the LSD oil being to slippery for the synchros to do their job, right now shifting is super smooth, more so than my old oil that came in the used truck. so maybe I am good with this stuff for a while? I don't know. Probably no different than what jiffy lube or midas would put in for $62.

If I were to buy valvoline, castrol or something similar would I look for gl-4, gl-5 or just something that doesn't state that it can be used for LSD use?

Thanks again for all of the help!

10. Sep 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    TherealScuba

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with o'Reily's brand itself.
    I said the limited slip additives inside THAT SPECIFIC oil will eat away at the syncros and is too slippery for the syncros, thus, it could cause problems.

GL4 or GL5 doesn't matter. Just make sure it doesn't say "LS-1" or "for use with hypoid limited slip differentials."

11. Sep 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Myself I'd be a little more of a stickler for the viscosity there. Some people here have run MTL without issues but it's quite thin in comparison to MT-90 (about the difference from 5w30 to 20w50). If MT-90 doesn't shift well, you could always try MT-85 as long as you're not gonna drive the Sahara or tow a camper though Texas. Toyota may not honor your warranty if you do but I'd take MT-85 over GL5 oil 8 days a week.

As for the transfer case, stick with the MT-90. It's not splash lube like the tranny, it's got a pump, so it's going to need the viscosity it was designed for.

12. Sep 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I agree completely. I mentioned MTL because I do know of people using it with very good success in cold climates. Mt-90 is what I use, and would be my first choice to recommend as well.

13. Sep 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Why don't you like LS-1 gear oil? I used the stuff by the five gallon bucket, when I can find it. There were some old rumors going around a few years ago, but those have been proven false time and time again.

Don't tell me you believe them?

14. Sep 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    TherealScuba

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Diffs and a T-case, sure, I'll use it if its available...

But, I believe it made my perfectly good W-59 shift like crap and ruined the syncros.

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/gl-4-vs-gl-5-a-201741/

15. Sep 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top