1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snugtop parts question...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by greenmonk, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sep 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    greenmonk

greenmonk [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma Xcab V6
    Question for you guys who have a Snugtop or have ever had to replace a part on a Snugtop. I have a '97 x-cab with a Snugtop SuperSport that I bought back in 2001. Well, the LED 3rd brake light doesn't work anymore. It looks like it got moisture in it.

Anyways, I have to buy a replacement light because in Virginia (where I live) they do safety inspections every year and I was told that if I didn't replace it before my next inspection, I would fail. The closest Snugtop dealer (over 700 miles away) wants $75 + shipping for the replacement light. That seems kind of high to me. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem and used a generic LED brake light instead. If you have, where did you go? Also, is it easy to replace myself? I don't want to have to pay someone to do it for me unless absolutely necessary.

Any help would be appreciated. This doesn't have to be done until Spring next year, so I've got some time to look around the internet to see if there is anything I can do that's cheaper. It just has to be done.

2. Sep 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Can't you just take the topper off before going in for the inspection?

3. Sep 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    asus611

asus611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    I posted a while ago I got my brake light/interior dome light combo for $50 plus shipping from truckoutfittersplus.com

I went with the same exact one that came from the factory, largely because (luckily?) both my dome light and led brake light were toast anyway. I looked around and couldnt find another vendor that had the exact same size / brake light in stock, so I just bit the bullet .

Yeah you gotta spend some money, but with LED's they should last many many years anyway.

4. Sep 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    greenmonk

greenmonk [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma Xcab V6
    I thought about that, but unfortunately, there is no way for me to take it off or put it back on without going to a shop to have it done. Plus, I have nowhere to store it while I get the inspection done. I really wish it was that simple.

Thanks! I'll check them out. $50 is much better than $75 if they're the same parts. Plus, the $75 was just for the brake light, no dome light included (as far as I know).

I know that the LED light will last years. My current one is the original and it's lasted 11 years now. If this new one lasts just as long, I'll be fine because I doubt I'll have my truck another 11 years.

5. Dec 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top