1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice needed for rear lift options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Republican Tacoma, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sep 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Republican Tacoma

Republican Tacoma [OP] Tacoma Student

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma DC TRD Offroad 4X4
    AFE Stage II Pro Guard 7 Cold Air Intake Kit, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Husky Toolbox, Window Tint, OEM Side Steps, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Mats, OEM Bug Deflector, In-Channel VentVisors, Stant Locking Gas Cap, & Realtree Seatcovers
    I am currently in the market for a 3 inch lift for my tacoma. I have just about decided on the Toytec Ultimate Lift package with Radflo front coilovers.

I need some help with deciding on the rear lift. I have debated on the OME Dakar Leaf springs ($199 per leaf) which would give me a 2 1/2" lift or with the Toytec 2" add-a-leafs ($79 per pair). Other than the obvious 1/2" lift what are any other reasons one would go with the OME Dakar Leaf springs over the much cheaper Toytec 2" add-a-leafs? Which rear lift would you suggest and why would you suggest it over the other? If this has been covered, sorry for the question, I couldn't find the answer. Thanks,

2. Sep 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    The OME are bad ass and a much better leaf pack than the stock with an AAL. It rides better and handles weight A LOT better.
    Plus an AAL will wear out the factory leaf pack and cause it to go flat.
    Check out this pic with the OME pack. This was a very tounge heavy load and notice the little amount of sag.
    The OME pack has 5 leafs and 2 overloads.
    b99e9fa3_65feafd04b955ffafd0b762acc373ac9374e8f9c.jpg

3. Sep 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    With The Radflo's You pretty much cant set them to 3" of lift. I did when I first got them for my last 07 Tacoma and I had no down travel and they topped out hard! with a loud clank/clunk sound... I wouldnt reccomend the Radflo's.. But they may have fixed the problem since then..

As for the rear, If you dont haul alot of weight or much of anything much, I wouldnt waist the money on the Dakars.. Instead I would go with Wheelersoffroad 3 leaf AAL.. The ride is awsome and still can haul plenty of weight.
    Single AAL's ride verry harsh and stiff.

Good Luck! :)

4. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Haul = Dakars
    Don't haul = something else

5. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    ^Agreed!!

But I reccomend the Progressive 3 leaf AAL with overload leaf in, if you dont haul! Verry Nice Ride quality!

6. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    Republican Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    AFE Stage II Pro Guard 7 Cold Air Intake Kit, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Husky Toolbox, Window Tint, OEM Side Steps, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Mats, OEM Bug Deflector, In-Channel VentVisors, Stant Locking Gas Cap, & Realtree Seatcovers
    ETaco23, What are your thoughts on the Toytec 3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100 Height adjustment coilovers kit? It sounds as though I would be able to get the full 3" inches on this lift but I am unsure of the ride quality. Thanks,

7. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Republican Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I just heard that the OME shocks only have a 3 year warrant while the Bilstein shocks have a lifetime warranty. I don't plan on offroading all of the time but I do want them to last the life of the truck with moderate offroading.

8. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Meh , warranties are for stuff that breaks

9. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    :thumbsup:

10. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    WolfPack is right! I had the toytec coilovers also, and wasnt a huge fan either. Rode like crap at 3"s of lift..
    If you want a good ride quality 3" lift, and dont offroad much. OME is were its at! I love mine! Best riding/performing lift ive ever had. Even a better ride then my Icon coilovers i use to have. Except for fast ass washboard stuff.. But I dont do that type of offroading much at all anymore. lol

Listen to me and these guys who have experience with these lifts.. you will be very pleased with OME! There high quality stuff and should last forever.. especially if you dont do much offroading like me... :)

I got 885's with top plate 1/4" spacers and OME shocks front and rear, for a full 3" lift up front. And Wheelers Progressive AAL with overload leaf still in for 2" of lift in the rear..
    oh and dont forget that trim packer for the Taco lean. And the ride is awsome!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top