1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drum Brakes Fixed Incorrectly?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    So after being at the tire shop one day my rear brakes started acting up. Additionally, the rear drum housing they pulled off was also the same side acting up. It turned out my brake springs were all beat up and loose in the drum. Nowhere withinin around a 40 mile radius had a spring kit and couldn't get one for 3 days. They ended up saying they found a spring kit that would work. It does work as well. It is BrakeBest part#17282 . Does not state compatibility with my truck online but seems to function good. I have 75,000 miles still on stock brake pads. Will probably not need replacing until like 90,000 miles. Do I go back with a box of the correct hardware and request they put that in or just go with it as is. Is there any real hazard?

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  3. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    There's not a lot of magic to rear drum brakes, and it will probably be fine for a while. Unless you do a lot of towing or carry heavy loads all the time, your rear brakes are probably not doing much. I had 130K miles on a '92, and the original rear shoes had as much lining as a cheap replacement set.

If it was me, though, I would get the OEM kit and do both sides just to keep things even. But I am really anal about mechanical stuff on my vehicles.

4. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:57 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Rear brakes account for 25-35% of total braking. Stopping in a short enough distance to avoid an accident may come down to inches, with brakes that work correctly. How much brake performance are you willing to sacrifice?
    Make them fix it correctly, or give you a refund. Report them to the Better Business Bureau, if they won't.

Products Discussed in

To Top