1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plow Questions..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DdayIsNear, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I'm getting a Sno-way 22-series installed on Monday. I did a lot of research and, although they are not cheap (~ $4500 installed), IMHO the Sno-way is by far the best plow for our trucks. The Fisher Homesteader just looks like a toy to me and the others are just too heavy for my liking.

The poly blade of the Sno-way is very lightweight but with the down-pressure I'm not gonna be worried about it floating. They offer a wireless control, great mounting system, and very good lights. The other key benefit is that the plow is not suspended by a chain like most plows...it's on a hydraulic cylinder. I believe that most of the "damage" that people fear from plows occurs from riding with a plow and hitting bumps, -- the plow goes up and then when it comes back down and hits the end of the chain physics kicks in a bad things happen.

I used to plow my driveway (300' paved) with a four wheeler and plow but got sick of being cold. Moved up to a 1986 Bronco II w/a 7' Fisher plow but that got tired. I love my Tacoma and plan to keep it until it or I die so decided to put the plow on. Since I will be plowing my driveway exclusively, I am not going to be worried about the wear-and-tear of the plowing. Just my 2-cents (ok...I suppose more like 4-cents).

2. Oct 30, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I personally would never plow with anything under 3/4 ton truck. There is a reason why it will void suspension warranties on full size 1/2 tons. You might get away with doing your own driveway. But as for making cash.. not worth it.

3. Oct 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    I have a Fisher Homesteader plow that was installed the day after I bought my Tacoma. It's very capable for its intended use and I have no complaints. It cost $3100 or so.

I've had plows mounted on my trucks for over 20 years and I most recently stepped down (up?) from a Fisher 7.5 Minute Mount on an F150. The Tacoma cannot plow snow at the rate of an F150 - but the select driveways I plow don't require a large truck and large plow. The Tacoma's ability to handle a light-weight plow was a primary factor in my truck's purchase decision, and I researched it extensively.

I expect that my ball joints and tie rod ends will wear sooner due to the extra weight of the plow and plow frame, but that's the case whenever additional weight, including plate bumpers, bars and winches are installed on any truck. You simply replace the parts when needed.

Installing a plow will not void a warranty per se, but premature suspension parts failure due to extra weight or plowing damage can certainly be excluded from warranty repairs.

4. Oct 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    smcgill

smcgill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    South Easton Mass. not enough time in Cocagne NB
    Vehicle:
    Camry and Ram 1500 with a "HEMI "
    This how it looks when the plow is off!!
    Plowframe_82ada8505567c9a0f2cfb07419f76f23527efdd0.jpg
    The frame is painted black.
    You might be able to see it.:D

5. Sep 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    robleehone

robleehone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4X4 PreRunner