1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by whopkins87, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    whopkins87

whopkins87 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Prerunner
    Lots
    Has anyone seen a problem with the AC compressors? My 07 TRD Taco had a compressor go bad and start making a load roaring noise. I complained about this under warranty but the noise did not get real bad until 40k. Toyota dealer said it was a bad compressor and I paid labor they paid for the parts. One week after the compressor was replaced it went out again with the same noise. They replaced the compressor and did not flush the system replacing the orifice tube when doing so. The noise went away for almost one month and this last Sunday driving to Charlotte NC from Atlanta the compressor went out again. Now I have noticed that the blower stops blowing air through the vents after driving for a long time. Once it sits over night the blower works okay through the vents but the noise is worse than ever. Does anyone know what they are missing?
    All advice would be appreciated.

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I had the AC compressor replaced on my 2005 with only 29,000 Kms on the odometer.

When the compressor fails, small particles of debris and metal are sent throughout the system. The AC is after all a closed system therefore the debris will continue to circulate until the weakest link of the system fails.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The A/C condenser performs pretty much the same function as an engine radiator, but the condenser cools the refrigerant in the AC system. Normally, the A/C condenser should be flushed to remove any debris. The flushing of the system will remove contaminated compressor oil and debris.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] In most modern vehicles high efficiency condensers are used which sometimes cannot be flushed properly because the passages in the condenser are simply too small and much of the debris gets jammed in the small openings. These types of condensers should be replaced.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Next is your air drier. The main function of the air drier is to absorb moisture from the AC treated air. Driers have filter screens to trap any debris. After a compressor failure, these filter screens can easily get plugged with debris.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In summary, when you replace the compressor you should also flush the condenser and replace the air drier. Lots of debris can lodge throughout the entire system and cause subsequent compressor failure.

Good luck
    [/FONT]

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    my compressor in my 06 isnt that noisy but IMO noisier then normal, with 82k i assume its on its way out :(

anyone know how much they are to replace?

4. Sep 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    TX Tacoma

TX Tacoma Fightin Texas Aggie

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    $400 compressor
    $180 condenser
    $20 expansion valve
    $40-$80 1 or 2 cans of flushing solution

=~$700 + your labor

Note: All of this can be done from the engine side, no disassembly of the interior is required.

5. Sep 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Change your drier filter, it's located in the cylinder along the side of the condenser. A dirty filter will cause pressure to build up in the system and kill the compressor.

Cylinder :

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwOTIwLTAwMjEyLmpwZw_zps_501f2c0c0de30c36bdcb14fd5509093f1aa484c8.jpg

Drier Filter :

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwOTIwLTAwMjExLmpwZw_zps_28bce7edf4f7008220799bbd6479e936a8f3c74a.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top