1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Behind front fender photo...firewall area

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PMK, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Apr 3, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    PMK

PMK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Found something when I changed my cabin filter yesterday.

Rat shit and the startings of a possible rat nest on the upper side of the cabin filter.

Took a run by Toyota for a quick look at the parts book to see if any possible pathways are left unblocked when these trucks were designed.

Nothing was conclusive, so tonight I'll pull the plastic cowl for a look.

Parts guys said that a few other Toyota models have been prone to rats in the cabin airbox, and some have had their airfilters gnawed threw and killed some rats when they ran their inside fan. But until mine, they never heard of a Tacoma having a rat problem.

Anyone have their front fenders off so they might be able to take a photo of what is behind the fenders near the firewall area.

I doubt the rat got past the plastic cowl grille, I'm suspecting Toyota has the ends of the windshield base open to the fenders to allow draining and added airflow, otherwise I'm not sure how the thing got in to the airbox.

PK

2. Apr 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    damn those rat bastards :mad:

PzTank likes this.
  3. Apr 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Turn your HVAC system to "Recirc" before you shut your truck off at night. This shuts the fresh air door into the HVAC case which should close the only entry point.

Kolter45 likes this.
  4. Apr 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    im noticed this with my 05 tacoma and 00 land cruiser. Just yesterday i tore down the truck to re-seal valve cover and timing cover,and i found lots of seeds just under the intake manifold.

5. Apr 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    The only pic I have with the fender off. This is when I did the Cowl Seam TSB when I had the water leak into the cab.

[​IMG]

6. Apr 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    SPENCAF

SPENCAF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Shiloh, IL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO 4X4
    AFE Pro dry filter, AttennaX, bed liner on front skid plate, AVID sliders, AVID light bar, KONG Storage Box, OME 2.5" 885 coils 1.5" AAL 265/75R16 Guard Dawgs
    I HATE RATS!!!

7. Apr 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Tape a couple dryer sheets under the plastic engine cover or stick some under the hood somewhere. Vermin don't like the smell or taste.

8. Apr 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I took a few minutes this morning and unclipped the plastic cowl from the firewall.

Using a mirror, a quick look towards the right side of the truck / towards right fender, away from the cabin air inlet showed no protection from rodents getting into the cowl area.

As someone suggested, you can shut the truck down with the cabin air selector positioned in the recirculate position.

While that will work if the cabin air inlet door remains shut / closed always. Even with the door closed, there is a nice spot that is well protected for them to build a nest. The downside is that when the cabin air inlet door is opened, like a dump truck, there will be the dumping of rats or rats nest right onto your cabin filter.

I have some simple ideas of what I plan to do to remedy this.

PK

9. Apr 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    really? thats interesting to know. i used to carry some dryer sheets to keep mosquitos from biting into me. thanks for the tip

10. Apr 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    As a follow-up...

The cowl area is basically wide open from the fender wells.

There is no protection at all, except ensuring you close the recirculation door each time you park the truck.

It is possible, even with the door closed to have rodents build a nest on top of the recirc door, and when fresh air is selected, the entire "bundle" will drop into your cabin air filter.

Oddly, Toyota designed the air inlet, just above the cabin fresh air inlet with a flange and mounting holes for a screen or something but it seems it never made it to production in the US, maybe never anywhere.

So using cardboard to design a template, I used wire lath for stucco on a home and fabricated a screen to prevent rodent entry into the cabin airbox. Some primer, paint, a couple of metric fasteners and done.

PK

IMG_2186 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2188 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2189 - Copy.jpg

wi_taco and MotoMoose68 like this.
  11. Apr 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    What do you remove to get to this? Is it just that rubber seal thing that is between the edge of the windshield and hood?

12. Apr 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    blenderdriver

blenderdriver Inflamed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    texAss
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey 2010 4 Door, 4X4, Long bed.