1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone local good with a welder?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by 12TRDTacoma, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sep 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
    last time i check your pink slider is gonna be glued on :D

2. Sep 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    :)

3. Sep 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Wait.

4. Sep 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    Just going to take a shot at this and see how far it goes :) I have limited experience and I am drawing from my time fixing broken torsion bar caps on tanks. Plenty of expierince backing those out with a vice grip after you backed out the broken bolt enough to get a grip.

If the bolt went in to a hole that had a open back (nut applied to the back side), then you could drill it out with a normal bit with a clockwise rotation. You would be forcing it through the hole if you will. If you have anything that would block the bolt coming out (caps on either side, or a external mouting bracket) you would have to remove that first.

If the threaded hole was closed (no nut on the backside of the bolt, just tighten the bolt in to a existing threaded hole) using a normal bit would be bad. High speed bit even worse as you will basically apply heat and "weld" the broken bolt into the threads as it has no place to go and you drive it in deeper.

From this crowd, I fully expect a lot of sexual inuendos from my comments. So be be prepared to deal with that :)

It would really help if you posted a pic of the bolt you are trying to remove though :)

5. Sep 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    dimduk

dimduk Life is a one way trip,enjoy it.

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    minnesota
    Vehicle:
    baja
    Weld is usually softer then the metal it's being welded to.I think if you try to weld unto a bolt that's inside the frame you'll just end up snapping it off when you try to turn it out.I would suggest using a small diameter bit at first instead of one the size of the bolt and create a pilot hole then gradually work your way up until you can remove most of the bolt.They sell screw extractors that are self threading and pretty cheap.One trick I would try is taking a can of compressed air that they use to clean computers and after you have the screw extractor installed turn the compressed air can upside down and freeze the bolt before turning it out.Or a plasma torch cuts through just about anything and you can always weld a nut over the hole.

6. Sep 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma [OP] Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Fuck... Too many different methods to remove bolts and too many do's and dont's which seem to contradict each other. I've heard that if you weld a nut to it it basically heats up the bolt and frees it if it's rusted from the threads and the fact it contracts quickly makes it easier to free up. Another source is saying that the weld would be softer and it would probably break... what to do.. I really just want to make new threads for a bolt to go through by any means necessary.

I think I'll take a picture of this in the AM so you can ASSess the issue... lol.

7. Sep 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    post a pic..i live in concord and consider myself a bit of a lucky mofo when it comes to removing broken fasteners.

i call my friend "cross-thread"

there is already a snapped drill bit in the broken shaft?

8. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Basically. Let me take a ppicture of it. I totally forgot to take a picture whwn i said i would.

9. Sep 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I haven't even been able to take a picture of it. I ran into a thread randomly where someone used the same kind of remover bit I did, brand: Grabit and had the same kind of luck I did (the POS broke off inside and every attempt to create a hole has now been hindered by the same POS bit that was supposed to be the cure in the first place) surprisingly enough he took a picture and my hole looks almost exactly like his antenna hole.

[​IMG]

Someone suggested using the carbide burr attachment on the dremel or one on a regular drill. They are made of tungsten after all which is hard as shit, so it should work in theory. Does anyone think this would work in removing all that metal out of there? I was also thinking the diamond cutting bit attachment on the dremel may work too.

Any opinions on these attachments for the removal of the material from the broken bolt and broken POS grabit bit?

10. Nov 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Bump for this. I'd like to tackle this issue again but I need the help of someone who owns a welder first. Pic has provided of what the damage looks like. I honestly need the good ol washer and nut technique to save me out of this one.

Anyone local? If we can get it out you are my hero and I'll buy you lunch :)

Products Discussed in

To Top