1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Console Holster Mount

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kylsix, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sep 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    Kylsix

Kylsix [OP] Makin' it Hail

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '12 Mag Gray T|X Pro
    OME w/ 886s & Dakkar Leafs
    I just finished installing a console holster mount, figured I'd tell folks how I did it. This is my first mod, so apologies in advance for no step-by-step pictures, if I end up helping anyone put one of these in I'll add more pictures. Attachments are the finished project. Thanks to Robo02cop for the inspiration!

First off, you'll need the following:

• SERPA Quick Disconnect (QD), male and female adapters, like this kit. I bought the male and female adapters separately at a local store for about $32 total.
    • SERPA Level 1 or 2 holster, like one of these.
    • Power Drill
    • Phillips Head Screw Driver and/or Bit
    • Pilot hole bit and 1/4" drill bit
    • 10mm socket with at least a 6" extender if you use a ratchet, if you use a screwdriver you just need the socket.
    • Sharpie
    • Hammer
    • Small nail, I used a tack nail
    You will first need to attach the SERPA Holster to the male end of the SERPA Quick Disconnect adapter. I used the screws that came with the holster because the ones that came with the QD were too big. Verify you have at least 3 Chicago style screws and threaded posts with the female QD adapter. Familiarize yourself with how it functions, it's simple, but you'll want to know for future reference.

The first thing you want to do is take off your center console. It's very easy and is held in by two Phillips head screws and 10mm bolts. The below video shows how to do it on a gen 2 Taco, the part about removing the center console starts at 6:13. (Sorry, video kept giving an error when it was embedded...)

Video

Now you need to lay the console on its side, driver's side down, on a solid surface, preferably a wooden work bench. Take your sidearm (UNLOADED!!! and magazine out) and put it in the holster, which should be attached to the male QD adapter. Snap the male QD adapter into the female QD adapter, then place the entire assembled holster and mount inside the center console, with the female QD sitting on the inside of the driver's side of the center console. Position the mount so that the lid will close with the sidearm holstered. I made a mark the sharpie along the "L" shape where the latch comes around the top of the QD, just make a mark so that you can position the female QD adapter by itself later.

Next, take off the center console lid by unscrewing the 5 small black screws holding on the plastic insert and the insert will just pull out. Then unscrew the 4 screws securing the lid, then remove the lid. I left the hinge on there and it never got in the way, you can take if off if you need to. You don't need to take the lid off, taking it off just made it way easier for me.

Place the female QD adapter back inside the center console, which should again be on its side, driver's side down. Align the female QD adapter with the mark you made earlier. Take your Sharpie and make a mark in a mounting screw hole on the female QD adapter, making sure that the female QD adapter doesn't move.

Once you've marked your hole, take your tack nail and hammer it through the center console side wall. This is just to mark your hole so you can drill a pilot hole. There may be a better way to do this, but I found it to be very easy and accurate.

Drill a pilot hole, I used a 1/16" drill bit for the pilot hole. Then drill a bigger hole with an 11/64" bit (or your bit of choice). Now use the 1/4" bit to expand the hole to the size necessary for the threaded post.

Put one of the threaded posts into the same hole on the female QD that you just drilled the 1/4" hole for. Mount the female QD by placing the screw through the outside of the center console and into the threaded post. Rotate the female QD adapter so that it is oriented the same way you fit your sidearm to the inside of the console, and attache the male QD adapter and holster the sidearm, and make sure the fit is still roughly the same. Once you have verified the fit is still roughly the same, remove the sidearm and male QD adapter.

With the female QD adapter still mounted, repeat the step above to drill the 1/4" hole at another mounting point on the female QD adapter. Once your second hole is drilled, mount the second screw and threaded post, and tighten both screws all the way. Repeat for the third and final screw and post.

Check your work! Reassemble the center console lid, then attach the male QD adapter and holster the sidearm and close the center console lid. If it closes, it works! Reattach the center console and enjoy your new holster!

Total cost (assuming you have the tools necessary): ~$82

qd_clearance.jpg
    qd_connect.jpg
    qd_disc.jpg
    qd_holstered.jpg
    qd_mountscrews.jpg

2. Sep 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    Johnnyh

Johnnyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    The basics, 5100s, 885s, weathertechs, Desert racing UCAs, wheelers progressive 3 leaf, icon rears, welded in magnaflow, ultragauge, drop in filter, bet mat, 285/75/16s
    Very nice setup, this gives me a few ideas for some extra kydex I have. Thanks

3. Sep 28, 2012 at 5:24 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i plan on doing the same thing, but w/o the quick disconnect. i've already got the serpa blackhawk paddle holster and just plan to remove the paddle and attach it directly. i bought a fobus paddle and like it better when carrying, so this would be a more permanent install in my case.

4. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    T1no33

T1no33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner V6 SR5
    - Partial Badge Removal & Dipped - Removed Mud Flaps - Blacked out Emblem - Blacked out Chrome Surrounding Grill - Salex Center Console Organizer - AntennaX 13" - Tinted Front Windshield - Derped Tacoma Emblems - Bridgestone 265/70/16 tires - Tuff AT Wheels - 3 and 1 spacer block lift (mistake big time) - Black Rear Bumper - Aries Bull Bar w/light rig
    NICE!!! Great idea!! I'm going to tweak it a based on the extra holster I have to fit my LC9. Thanks for sharing!

5. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    Kylsix

Kylsix [OP] Makin' it Hail

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '12 Mag Gray T|X Pro
    OME w/ 886s & Dakkar Leafs
    I tried that, the console lid wouldn't close because the sidearm didn't clear the lip on the bottom of the lid, so it had to sit further into the center of the console.

6. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ahh...gotcha. might have to make sure i have some 1/2" spacers on hand.

7. Sep 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Johnnyh

Johnnyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    The basics, 5100s, 885s, weathertechs, Desert racing UCAs, wheelers progressive 3 leaf, icon rears, welded in magnaflow, ultragauge, drop in filter, bet mat, 285/75/16s
    thats what I was thinking, enough spacers on the side to fit my j frame in there

Products Discussed in

To Top