1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Showing ABS & Emergency Brake light?!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ChamYota, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Sep 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    So sunday i left my off road lights on and forgot to cut them off as I walked back to my dorm.

Fast forward to Thursday,
    -truck battery completly dead.
    - :(

My buddy comes and gives me a jump
    -:)
    -Everything was kosher

I decide to drive to the store that night so the alternator can do its thing.
    as we drive i notice this!
    [​IMG]

:(
    I was thinking the truck was malfunctioning. :/
    I drove 160 miles from campus Friday back home with no problems and gas mileage was actually +20(never happens)

anyways, what can i do to fix this? :confused:

2. Sep 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    First thing I'd do is disconnect the battery and after a second or two, touch the pos and neg cables to discharge power in all systems. Then reinstall the battery and drive the vehicle. See if that resets everything. It may just be that your battery was low enough that the system tripped a code in the abs system. It's an easy and FREE way to start. Before you do it though, I might go to autozone and get codes read for free and take the printout they provide if my idea does not work.

3. Sep 29, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    My scangugage II detected two codes that went wrong but it flashes back to "no codes found" so fast that i dont think it fixed the codes as they still show up

4. Sep 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    anyone?

5. Sep 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) You may want to keep on driving your Taco and not worry about the lights. If your brakes feel fine , the system should turn off the lights on it's own, if there are no confirming codes that the computer reconises.
    You may want to get your battery properly charged by a battery charger, and not use your alternator to try to charge it. I have no clue to how old your battery is, but it will not have a deep charge if the battery has a few years on it. Good Luck.

6. Sep 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Not to try and stur the pot but I've seen this quite a few times.
    Get it scanned.
    I hope you have't taken out your abs ecu. These trucks don't like being jumped.
    Those lights are on for a reason. I take it your speedo is still working or else you would have mentioned it.
    Your running on normal brakes only.
    Good luck.

7. Sep 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    So the scanguage II reads no errors found and I get it scanned anyway?

Everything is working as it should. Ill wait a couple more days and see what happened

8. Sep 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
  9. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
  10. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    have you checked your brake fluid level? if it gets low the brake light will come on. Try pulling the fuses out for a minute. I did this to shut off my check engine light when I had my Corolla. Look for the ABS fuse and pull it for a minute or two and then put it back in. This should reset the computer. I'm not sure if there is a fuse for the emergency brake or not

11. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    Tacolover443

Tacolover443 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Haverford, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR DCSB BSP
    Satoshi, color match grill, 2 Hella 500ff's, rear TSB, yellow "Taco", OEM all-weather floor mats, OEM TRD seat covers, Ultra-Gauge, bed linered rear bumper, Plasti-dipped rims, DuraTrac's,
    You can go to Autozone and they will scan it for free.

12. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    ^^This. Even if it's within the limits of high/low but on the really low side, it will cause the e-brake light to come on and it's possible it's what's causing the ABS light as well.

13. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Maybe a blown fuse from the jump.. I dunno

14. Oct 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Where would i go to check that?

Scanguage picked up no codes

I'll do that whenever i figure out how to check my brake fluid levels

This is a possiblity, ill check the fuses today when the rain quits falling outside.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ill check these things out and report back here.

15. Oct 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
  16. Oct 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Checking the fluid levels is very simple, there is a clear reservior toward the rear of the engine bay, slightly on the driver's side. It should say USE DOT3 FLUID ONLY on the lid (I believe it's DOT3, going off memory on that part but it'll be DOT3 or DOT4). That's the brake fluid reservior. It will have low and high markings on the side. Remove the cover and make sure the fluid is between the markings. Be careful with any fluid on the cover, do not let it drop on your or your paint. It is very corrosive stuff. You want the fluid to be closer to the high mark. Mine through the e-brake light when my fluid was low but still between the low and high markings.

17. Oct 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    You have to open your hood and look at the firewall on the driver's side. The brake booster will be there with a reservoir on top that has a cap with wires running off the cap. Look on the side of the reservoir closest to the driver's side fender and there should be 2 lines, one high, and one low. If the level is close to the low line I would get more fluid from an auto parts store (DOT3) I believe.

Just saw Pugga beat me to it^^ sorry I was at class

18. Oct 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Simple enough, thanks!

TW is my favorite site ever...

Pugga is too cool for school :cool:

19. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Alrighty so the brake fluid is completely full. On to the fuses

Edit: I did the fuse thing and no magic :(

20. Oct 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Stop pulling fuses.

Not going to help.

Plus you run the risk of giving a unrelated code which will impede the proper diagnostics of the system. There are codes in the abs system. Your scan gauge cannot read them. The #1 thing you should do in ANY system diag is pull codes BEFORE you start to Monkey with it. It gives you a base on where to start.

Do what ever you want but I'm trying to save you a bunch of headaches.

Products Discussed in

To Top