1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Retros failed inspection

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by easyeatlanta, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta [OP] Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    Kinda mad that the lady at the inspection station decided to fail my retros for no reason other than they werent stock.
    luckly a friend of mine has a pair of stocks i can use to pass.
    but really my retros are much better than stock and are super bright and dont blind oncoming traffic.
    rant over
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    wtf people are stupid. i guess they would rather you put 55 watt hids in your stock housing lol

3. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    She probably didnt even know what she was looking at and how much better they are then stock. They probably just looked strange to her and didnt let them pass.:cool:

4. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    That type of stuff don't happen here. Probably 30% of all people put the blinding ass HID plug and play kits and they still manage to pass inspection.

5. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    evh5150

evh5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 D/C S/B V6 6 Speed
    Bilstein/5100 combo from Toytec. LR UCA's.1.5 AAL's Full audio upgrade.Pioneer 8400, JL Audio subs. All Boston Acoustic pro speakers, and a Kenwood XRS 5 amp. Grillcraft, Smittybuilt stainless steps. Debadged. Soon 17x8 ATX Ledge wheels w/285/70/17 BF Goodrich
    Now get a white grill, satoshi or grillcraft it. And move on

6. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Inspections are a government scam to get money from you yearly and make you make your vehicle how someone thinks it should be.

I never had an issue while running non-stock eagle eye ccfl halos so not sure why it would be issue for retros but OP is in TN and not TX so who knows, try a different inspection place or keep a throwdown pr of oems for inspection days.

7. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    Not being stock, means not being DOT approved, which is all most states care about.

8. Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The safety aspect of it I can agree with but it has gotten to gouging point, especially since there are still plenty of people driving around in POS vehicles without lights, bald tires, smoking, etc etc etc. DPS needs to write a few more tickets about faulty equipment vs. continually raising the inspection prices. There's no balance there and that is what doesn't sit well. Working retros, working aftermarket headlights are far safer for everyone vs. people I see driving in the dark with only parking lights, or no tails or no headlights working or none at all. Give the OP a sticker if he has the coin and both lights work. Increasing costs are justified as more safety for everyone but all that ever happens is higher costs. FAIL

9. Oct 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta [OP] Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    well anyways i passed last year with crap halos off ebay(the lights in my sig) but apparently expensive lights dont work and i think memphis is the city near me that has to go through inspection and im only .5 mile from the city limit.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Oct 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I keep seeing people driving around with one out of three brake lights working. Seriously? Light bulbs last at least five years or so, how the hell do you care so little that you can't swap a bulb out every five years?

11. Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    :amen: i too hate it, and i hate it when i go get my S/E its every year here in Utah, but for some reason it only cost me 70 bucks to register :confused: don't know why, but i always have problems with my tires sticking out half inch out, and having the window cracked where it doesn't even bother or blind or will never get bigger being like if my life's in danger so i wont pass, mud flaps used to be a problem but i got's me some quick release mud flaps to keep police with a happy smile :D they dont even care about the tire sticking out, they say, (its a truck) but i dont worry too much cause i have amigos that pass my safety, and i always have all my light working. i get pissed off when i see people with only one light and have it on brights cause its only one light :mad:

12. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    REDTRD

REDTRD Woods & Water Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    That's crazy, guess I will see if I pass in February

13. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    $58 a year...done on line. :cool: We have state inspections though and only some counties have emissions (mine does not).

14. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I figured if anybody were freaks about inspections it would be CA. That kinda surprises me. I do remember that they had a smog hotline or some crap if you saw someones car smoking you could turn them in LOL.
    Fairfax county here in VA are crazy when it comes to inspections. Yearly safety inspections, and every 2 years emissions. That's why I'm afraid to chop my exhaust after the axle cause I've been told by several people here that it won't pass.
    Registration taxes are a joke too. My truck costs over $600 per year just cause it's registered in Fairfax county. My wifes pilot? Over $1000. :eek: thats yearly too, not a one time thing. It gradually goes down as the value of the vehicle drops, but still insane.

15. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    thats :goingcrazy:

TX state inspection is $14 a year and my registration is $54 a year.
    F California

Products Discussed in

To Top