1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Precious metals

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by cabarbhab, Jan 9, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    xx2

2. May 11, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    I can use my gun to get food. Silver and gold have always had value due to an upper class who wanted them. Silver and gold have no practical value or no real industrial application when people are fighting for survival. You're 10x more likely to find someone willing to barter for food, guns, ammo or shelter than for a hunk of metal.

But to each, his own.

3. May 11, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    People were killing each other over gold before there were guns, I also have 11 guns and 2,500 rounds so I can keep the gold...

4. May 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    well gold and silver has historically been used as money. people for thousands of years now have used it as money. Even in US history, up until 1971 our currency was either gold and silver or linked to gold. Fiat currencies will go away again one day, they always fail.

shr133 likes this.
  5. May 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    Both gold and silver can and will lose value.
    silver has dropped from +/- $49 to +/-$35.

If anyone would like to learn more about precious metals, then check out the forums on the following sites:
    kitco.com
    goldismoney2.com
    bullionstacker.com

I usually find the most competitive pricing at coin shows. Then sometimes the local coin shop and finally at online sites such as apmex.com or gainsvillecoins.com

6. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    Fenrisulfr

Fenrisulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra w/ TRD 5,7L V8 4x4
    Seconded; I exited my position at 48,25 but am getting back in slowly. It is quite volatile, but if one knows how to invest and does not let the swings of the market influence one's long term views, it is safe.

if one wants to be more conservative, gold would be a wise move. It did not fall nearly as much as silver, and is more stable overall.

I also advise ZeroHedge.com and Gold-Silver.US.

7. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
  8. Jun 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    Fenrisulfr

Fenrisulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra w/ TRD 5,7L V8 4x4
    I'm swapping gold for silver. I just purchased a hoard of silver pesetas from Spain at a slight premium to the spot price. Many overlook European silver, but because of the VAT, it is not easy for them to unload in their own countries, so there are deals to be made.

9. Jul 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4

+1 Well said.

With that in mind, I might trade some Libyan nationals some pinball machine parts for a few dozen tubes of Plutonium, a la Doc Brown.

10. Jul 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Coming up on 1,600 oz. Time to sell????

11. Jul 16, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    me too!

12. Sep 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    That's not really true. Commodities are not investments, they are speculations (like oil). Investments are financial stakes in companies which provide returns (they create something).

Gold and silver are commodities that are affected by supply and demand. Say a huge supply of gold were discovered that doubled the amount of gold available in the world (unlikely I know). Your price per ounce would be worth half of what it was per ounce without any fundamental change in the economy.

There was a gold/silver spike in the 1980s which resulted in tremendous losses which didn't break even in price until 2008. That doesn't count inflationary dollar levels (1980 dollars vs 2008 dollars). In inflationary terms, it still hasn't reached parity ($2088/oz).

Silver had an artificial boost in price when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the market on it, driving the price up to $50 an ounce back in 1980, a level it still hasn't reached to this day.

In contrast, if you had purchased a Dow Jones Index fund in 1980 (a fund which buys equal shares of the Dow companies to mimic the return of the index), you would have gone from $750 to $11,500 or 1530% increase. For Gold to equal that, it would have to sell for $12,266/ounce.

Also, at around $5K/ounce, it becomes the breakeven point to create Gold in the lab (creating gold will be no different than printing dollars).

I'm not saying it's bad to buy gold. Just don't fool yourself thinking it holds value. Usually the worst time to buy something is when everyone is saying you should buy it (remember real estate prior to the crash or oil when it was trading at $140/barrel?).

All of the big investors are buying it as a safe haven, which is driving up the price rapidly. When they sell, it will come crashing down. This is a bubble.

13. Oct 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    trib

trib Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keeping cash around is a problem because of the fact that the US dollar is a fiat currency (not backed by gold or silver), and our government increasing the monetary supply by printing $$ and extending credit. They do this because they reap the rewards of the newly printed dollars in the spending chain. Eventually as this money works its way through the system, more dollars chasing the same amount of goods results in inflation, which negatively impacts your purchasing power. This is actually a hidden tax on Americans--those who have savings accounts or dollar bills stuffed under their mattress, and it mostly impacts the lower/middle class, whom are often on fixed incomes or fixed retirements.

However, I am with Evil Monkey on gold/silver. These metals have little industrial value and are mostly for jewelry. IMO it is best to invest your cash in hard assets like stocks, real estate, or in your own business, as these investments generate dollars. If you're worried about the collapse of the dollar, don't be, the dollar will never completely collapse, gas will just cost $100 per gallon and a new set of BFG ATs for the Taco will be $15,000. People will continue to exchange goods and services in dollars because the government will never give up control of its ability to debase our currency.

14. Nov 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    my family invests in gold and stocks, just in case.

and I've made an extensive coin collection as my investment
    (which is my excuse. those things are just cool)

15. Dec 31, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    birddog

birddog Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Central Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SR5 LB 4x4
    Access roll up cover, Weathertech floorliners, EGR hood shield, OEM bed mat, Sockmonkey decals
    Anyone buying gold and silver with the recent dip in prices?

16. Sep 26, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    I'll bump this, silver price is around 35 bucks right now... I'm a young guy trying to build my net wealth, I think I'm going to start buying a roll or two every month and see where I end up.

17. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    I also stack silver and gold. I wish I had started when I was a young guy.

By purchasing every month or two, I'm averaging into my position at a reasonable price. I do end up buying at the "high" but also buying at every "low" price point.

Though I've already been convinced of precious metals as an insurance/investment, this averaging strategy eases some of the anxiety during the purchase... such as "Did I pay too much? Is the price going down?" etc.

At this point, my "core" position is in place. I will continue to buy 60-100 oz. per year of bullion, possibly buying some of the fancier premium stuff.

Stick with your buying plan and soon you'll have accumulated a nice chunky pile!

Good luck.

I hope these pics are sized correctly...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Oct 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    FCdrifter

FCdrifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Where do you guys buy from? I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned gainesvillecoins.com. Anywhere else?

19. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    I usually find the most competitive pricing at coin shows. Then sometimes the local coin shop and finally at online sites such as apmex.com or gainsvillecoins.com or providentmetals.com

20. Oct 3, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Any idea what will happen to PM as the "fiscal cliff" approaches?

Products Discussed in

To Top