1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need this mounted here. How should I do this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ToyotaKTMracing, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing [OP] The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
  2. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    What mount would fit that scanner?

3. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    well i dont know if anyone is going to have any personal experience with that exact scanner but you could run some thin sheet metal up under the radio and possibly to one of the radio bolts as far as on the scanner side, i would have to be able to see the back of it

4. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    It has like a belt clip on the back

EDIT: And I think it's removable

5. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I was thinking about using the 3M velcro stuff, but it wouldn't be facing me.

6. Oct 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Just be sure it's legal to have it in your vehicle where you are. Many places will give you a ticket if you're caught with it on. They are illegal on any military base.

7. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Dang, I forgot about that. I can check our laws. If it is, I'll just have it with me and have it off unless I see an ambulance or something.

8. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Lawyer?

Frank

9. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    What? I only want it for emergencies to hear what's going on.

10. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Why is it illegal if hes fire/ems?

I have a radio in my truck

11. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    BehindUranus

BehindUranus TrippTheGreat

Member:
    First Name:
    Tripp
    Vehicle:
    02' Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Flowmaster Stage II Exhaust with 18'' tip, Gear Alloy Recoil 17x9 rims with Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires, Color matched Leer fiberglass tonneau bed cover, Alpine CDE-121 AV head, 2 10'' Rockford Fosgate P1, Rockford Fosgate P300-2 Amp, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs
    Not sure where your location is but if you travel through Virginia or West Virginia and a cop pulls you over and catches you with that they will fine you and confiscate it.

12. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I'm not fire or ems, but I only want to listen to emergencies going on.

13. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Even if it's away and off?

14. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    BehindUranus

Member:
    First Name:
    Tripp
    Vehicle:
    02' Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Flowmaster Stage II Exhaust with 18'' tip, Gear Alloy Recoil 17x9 rims with Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires, Color matched Leer fiberglass tonneau bed cover, Alpine CDE-121 AV head, 2 10'' Rockford Fosgate P1, Rockford Fosgate P300-2 Amp, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs
    Im not sure if they will if its off and hidden though. I do know a friend of mine had a radar detector off and laying under the passenger side seat and the cop caught a glimpse of it when he walked up the side of the car and asked him to show it to him. He gave him a fine and confiscated the detector.

Idt a scanner / detector apply under the same classifications but they might if youre tuning into police dispatch and stuff.

VA and WV are a-holes for lack of a better word. I have a flowmaster on my truck and modifications to vehicles registered in VA or WV are illegal i.e. exhausts and stuff. They can actually pull you over for them but is youre not a VA or WV registered car they cant really do anything but check it.

15. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Radar detectors are illegal since it's for detecting cops. Obviously. Haha. Scanners are just to listen to the emergency response units, but I will still check.

16. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Why the need?

Frank

17. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I've been wanting one because my friend who is a volunteer fire fighter convinced me to get one. It helps me know what's going in town and I know who is involved with the emergencies. And some people in my family have scanners in their homes.

18. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I still don't get it. The only people I can see with one of those are the busy-body type, those with a Hero complex, or the Dale Dribble's of the world getting ready for the black UN helicopters.

Frank

19. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    BehindUranus

Member:
    First Name:
    Tripp
    Vehicle:
    02' Tacoma SR5 4x4
    The only reason i was grouping the scanner and detector together was because you could use the scanner to listen for checkpoints and such along with what you were talking about using it for

20. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    -_- Just read my reply. I want to get one for the reason they're made for.

Products Discussed in

To Top