1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airbag advice!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Landon8503, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    Landon8503

Landon8503 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD 4x4 Sport dc lb
    Ok, so I have searched and found some decent info on Airbags deep within the TW forumland but am still lacking some info I am looking for.

I have a 2011 Tacoma dclb 4x4 trd without the tsb done on the rear. Everything is stock but I do have adj Bills(1.75") on the front. I am content with my current height and rake so I am not looking for anymore lift. I'm looking at buying a camper that weigh's approx 3k lbs. I know I am going to need to do something because after loading a Honda Rancher 350 in the back of my truck it looked like I was hauling a deuce and a half the way my truck was sitting. I am doing some research into the Airbag thing and that seems like the route I should go.

1st- Should I try an AAL(or diff leaf pack altogether) first or just go straight to the airbags?

2nd- Any preferences on Airbags? Air Lift or Firestone seem to be the most popular (By popular I mean what I could find the most about on the forum)

3rd- If the "Load Capacity" on an airbag is 2,130 lbs, would that be good enough for my situation (3,000 lb camper which has tongue weight of 350)? Sorry for the amateur question but I am not familiar at all with the bags.

4th- Anything else you recommend doing to the truck beforehand?

2. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Check this tread for answers to all those questions. If you can't find it, PM the OP, he seems like a helpful sort. Best of luck.

Frank

3. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I used air lift on my old ranger. They were well made. Easy to install. Running them at min PSI stiffened the ride substantially with an empty bed. But they were fantastic w a load.

4. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I've had them on a 2wd and 4wd Tacoma and love them.

I have a dumper trailer that is 2000 lbs and sometimes load it so it is at about 5200 lbs.

I have the firestone ride rite bags. On the 2wd it a super easy install. On the 4wd takes a lot more work but no drilling.

There is also a pump with remote for filling the bags. I got one but have not installed yet.

5. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Landon8503

Landon8503 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD 4x4 Sport dc lb
    Thanks for the input! It would be nice to go ahead and get the pump etc.

6. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i think your rancher weighs more than the tongue weight of that trailer. throw in an aal and i think you would be good. of course my only experience in towing is with the old boat which may have 100#s on the tonque.

7. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    05TacoDblCab

05TacoDblCab Member

Member:
    I got the firestone ride right in my 4x4 and it was pretty straight forward. There's directions so you can't go wrong. And there's no difference in putting them Øn a 4x4 or two wheel drive. I don't have a pump on board but I use a battery jump box with compressor. I use them for towing and they make the ride more comfortable that's for sure.

8. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have a 2" Toytec AAL.. it sucks, sure it lifts the truck 2" but dosent do jack past that (other then stiffen up the rear, which i like) but towing ? Put like 10 12x12 bricks in the back and slammed the rear... :puke:

needless to say, Added Airbags as a result, havent run them much but pleased do far. No i didnt not remove the AAL, but i did get the "spacer" blocks for the bags.

went with AirLift Ride control bags.

9. Oct 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Obviously you have not installed on both? I am talking about the Firestone ride-rite bags.

I installed on a 2006 2wd taco. One bolt to remove bump stop. Put air bag stud in same hole and put on bolt. Then down on the spring install two U-bolts. Then plug in air line and you are done. This can easily be done in under an hour.

On my 2012 4x4 taco it was a way bigger pain in the ass. You need to have midget/child hands to get some the 20 odd bolts in. Plus you have to remove the spare tire and use jack stands on the frame while having a jack under the pumpkin. And to boot they suggest you use a hacksaw to cut out the bump stop, Right that works well. I guess if you are 4'9" the 4x4 would not be too bad.

10. Oct 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I believe Utard is referring to the 5 lug 2wd's.

I have them (Firestone Ride Rite) on my truck and love them. I tow my 16 ft flatbed with my 85 4runner loaded up and at 50 psi they keep the truck level and firm up the suspension.

before bags:

[​IMG]

after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    ExtremeCustoms505

ExtremeCustoms505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albuquerque WS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4d 4x4
    3" Revtek spacer kit in front w/ aal and 1" block in rear. No TSB aal installed yet. Spider Trax spacers.
    If your happy with the trucks ride and handling when empty, install airbags. It will maintain your daily ride and help as needed when hauling.

Now for which set up to go with, I would stay away from the Airlift bags simply because they are a single bladder bag.
    The Firestone bags are a dual bladder bag which will perform and last much longer, and they tend to give a better ride.

As for the weight capacity, they will support way more weight then you could possibly ever load on your Tacoma.

Good luck

12. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    05TacoDblCab

05TacoDblCab Member

Member:
    Haha ok I guess I didn't think undoing 4 ubolts to REMOVE the bump stops is that big a deal. Oh I also had a car lift man and no I didn't take my spare tire out. I did one side while my caveman sized friend did the other. Took us abt 45mins to an hr. So I guess it all depends on what you call a pain in the ass or HARD OP.

13. Oct 8, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    So basically had two people to do the job so yes you can do it in half the time of one person and yes having a lift even cuts the time even more.

Most people do not have the convenience of a lift. Some of us have to do jobs like this in our uneven driveways.

And per the instructions it states/suggests for the 4x4 to cut the bump stops not remove.

Yes its the 5 lug that are supper easy.

Products Discussed in

To Top