1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help - 2013 won't start after disconnecting the battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tdunc, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    tdunc

tdunc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    Tried it, no luck. I noticed my main control unit (00012) looks different than the RS3000 mentioned in that thread. Guess they changed it over to this new unit. Definitely worth the try, thanks.

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    cosgrc

cosgrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    OME Lift, 887, Dakars

You probably have the VIP RS3200. Everything I see shows that once the started is immboloized it has to be "reset" to reverse the immobilizer. Hitting the unlock on the remote should do this, (as the alarm is going off) but apparently it doesn't work for you. The only other way I know how to reset is unplug the alarm brain - which i mentioned to you earlier and apparently it didn't work.

1) Have all ignition fuses been checked and made sure they are good? Hopefully you didn't blow a fuse via a pinched wire somewhere. Yes/No?
    2) Are you sure nothing else got unplugged why you did the mod (not sure what the mod entails)Yes/No?
    3) if number 2 above is significant, have you traced every connector/cable harness? Yes/No?
    4) Did you ever locate the ignition harness? This connector running down the steering column or in close proximity should contain all the constant 12 volts, ignition, accessory, and starter wires going to the key cyclinder. If you find this and can access it, probe the wires with a digital multimeter. Check the starter wire for 12 volts when turning the key all the way. Yes/No?

Did you say the car would try to crank or not (no sound when turning to "start" position) Saw - no turn means the starter isn't getting juice (i know, duh). Either ignition is not supply voltage or the immbolizer is is still activated - which I and others mentioned earlier.

EDIT:

5) Did you unhook any ground wires and not hook them up? Yes/No?

Forgot to ask you, did you notice a "T" harness on the ignition harness (assuming you located it). On aftermarket alarm systems, we used to have to cut the starter wire in half. My guess is that a "factory" alarm would be plug and play. I.E, you would unplug the ignition harness and plug in the "T". If this is the case, you could always take out the "T" temporarily and see if the truck would start. I have attached the installation manual I found for this. It may help.

Found this online- can't validate it for the 2013 but is most likely it - try checking these wires for their functionality
    002_b285391713732126065a38fa5b0b3b137a8fad05.jpg

See the 4 pin connector right below the fuses (heavy gauge wire - only populated with 3 wires) that appears to be part of the ignition harness if you can't get to the other harness. You could probe these with a digitl multimeter...

Pic from the mod thread you posted
    242483_10101067064441194_9311444_8151656_be119b65f13801f45732e0ce508dc48138e6aa2a.jpg

Trying to give you everything I can think of.

Decided to finally read the thread. I was going to asked if you probed the wires, but it looks like it has been asked already:

Attached Files:

3. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
  4. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    akhermit

akhermit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic TRD Offroad
  5. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    tdunc

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    Holy. Shit.
    I'm not sure who is (will be) more pissed, me, or you guys.

I looked in the fuse box, pulled out the 7.5A fuse "STA", looks good. Put it back, arm/disarm the alarm with fob, and the truck started right up. I did this same thing earlier with no success; maybe doing this after pulling the alarm ECU plug out changed something?? I'm sorry this has been such a big build up for nothing apparently, but if this happens to you, try pulling and reseating the starter fuse. Again, this makes no sense why it would change anything, but I've got nothing else...

Thanks to everyone who helped out

davidstacoma likes this.
  6. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    cosgrc

cosgrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift, 887, Dakars
    Glad you got it fixed!!! It's always the shit right in front of your eyes...

7. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    do yourself a favor and have the dealer remove that crappy dealer added alarm. it should save you a bigger headache down the road

8. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    akhermit

akhermit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic TRD Offroad
    I would still like to know the correct answer. I am not however, going to go out and disconnect my battery tonight to find out. Maybe next weekend if I am feeling brave.

9. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    TRDSport10

TRDSport10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhode Island & Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC TRD Sport 4x4 - Silver
    TRD Exhaust, Tube Steps, Towing Hitch, Paint Protection Film, Bed Mat, Wheel Locks, Spare Tire Lock, First Aid Kit, Ashtray Cup, TRD Air Filter, TRD Oil Cap, TRD Radiator Cap, FJ TRD Hub Caps, FJ TRD Shift Knob, BackFlip F1, TSB Rear Springs, Coupe TRD Battery Hold Down Bar, KatzKin Leather Seats with W.E.T. Seat Heaters, WeatherTech: FloorLiners DigitalFit, Side Window Deflectors, ClearCover License, LampGard
    Congraulations! Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem. Now on with the 400W anytime mod, one more time. ;)

10. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    cosgrc

cosgrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift, 887, Dakars
    Still curious how the fuse may have been incorrecetly seated? Did you remove it during the install? You mentioned you removed it once during troubleshooting....but that means it was imrpoerly seated even before you troubleshot the system? Still glad you got it fixed, but i can't seem to figure out how a fuse just happens to become installed making no contact - iv'e seen some weird shit, but that's a head scratcher.

11. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:47 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Just a guess here, but maybe pulling the fuse is a method of resetting some internal code that was set off earlier in the process.

Glad you figured it out OP, I've been following this from the start, but had nothing to offer.

12. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    tdunc

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    This was exactly why I didn't want that alarm system. I tried to modify the build specs before it was shipped to the dealer, but I didn't catch it in time. And according to the dealership, there wasn't going to be another white OR come in for a couple weeks (I'm sure that was crap, but still, I wanted the truck).

That's what is bugging the crap out of me too. Before this weekend, no issues at all. When I removed the battery lead, and reconnected, I couldn't start the truck. The fuse had not been touched at this point. During trouble shooting round 1, I pulled and checked several fuses including this one. Still couldn't start. Last night, I pulled and checked it again after pulling the alarm system plug, then after cycling the alarm, the truck started. I don't know if it's some random combination of me pulling the alarm harness, cycling the alarm, or what...all I know is she started, and I hope this doesn't happen again, or to anyone else!

13. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Did the mod work on your 2013?

14. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    tdunc

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    Can't confirm it, and I'm not sure when I'll have some time to get working on it again. Will be pretty busy with work and traveling, so if I get around to it again, I'll be sure to report back

15. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I'd remove it completely. I disconnect my batt at least once a week :-/

16. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I had the something similar happen with a fuse. Checked them all multiple times, last time I went through them one was blown. Replaced it and all was good again. All while on a trail 2 hours from home.

17. Oct 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Keeping up the fuse conversation - My Previa wouldn't start after I tried using the fuel pump fuse as the hot line for new front fog lights. Turned out I had pushed the clip in the fuse block down so the fuse wasn't making contact with it any more. Took a tow to the dealer to get that one figured out :mad:

18. Oct 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    thatguy0o0

thatguy0o0 trunk monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rapid City SD
    Vehicle:
    White '13 TRD Sport.
    Cool man glad to hear you fixed it! I would have a word with the dealer and ask if they ever had any trucks come in with that issue before. Once again congrats on the fix :)

19. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Unless you have friends on the inside, the answer wil be "We've never had an issue." You know its true.:cool:

20. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock

Products Discussed in

To Top